Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

What did you spend on your Ultimate Build?

4265 Views 36 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  fullsteam88
My question to the group: what did you spend on your Ultimate Build?

I've been looking at my plans* for my wife's** rifle and started to run the numbers, and the running total is about $750 (including base rifle, but not a scope). I spend about $1200 on my rifle (Father's Defeat), not including the scope. My build complete, I now know what I would have done differently (skipping the compensatory, and other aspects I would not change (the stock, I still love it).

My first 10/22 project rifle - Father's Defeat.

* the current plans: A light weight, low maintenance, rifle, suitable for bench work and plinking. The major parts are list below.
Base Rifle (receiver): Ruger 10/22 Carbine: Stainless Steel
Stock: Hogue Over Molded stock (undecided)
Barrel: E.R. Shaw 18" Stainless Steel Helical Fluted
Trigger: Hornet Custom "B" Trigger Assembly for Ruger 10/22

** I call it my wife's rifle, but who am I kidding, it's really another rifle for me. Sure she'll use it every once in a while, but really it will be my light weight rig.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
1,197 Posts
My Hogue Ultimate with a Ruger receiver, brimstone trigger, all Kidd otherwise (barrel, bolt, pins, buffer, scope base, charging handle), Burris sig zees, and Mueller APV comes in at just about $1025. Of course, I took the leftovers and rebuilt the original compact with a used $100 Ruger receiver.

My wife's probably cost me more like $1400 since we started with a VLEH, which cost more, and she has a VQ TG2000 trigger group. Also add $100 for the Kidd black ion bonding on the barrel. But we saved on the stock.

I was dreading doing this calculation...

· Registered
4,087 Posts

Lapua Pistol King at 50y

with lapua midas it shoots high .2s to very low .3s.

$220 used rifle with PC trigger
$92 blem clark custom barrel off of GB
$110 revolution stock
$ 6 kidd bolt buffer
$ 10 VQ extractor
$ 35 15 MOA scope base
$ 30 rings
$100 scope

$603 total

· Registered
1,197 Posts
Take your time and it only hurts when you total it up at the end - if there ever is an end.

Spent yesterday floating the barrel on my Hogure+Kidd ultimate. Added a Gunsmither block; relieved the pressure point about two inches forward of the action bolt, and relieved the barrel channel at the front of the stock; laid in about three plies of aluminum tape; torqued the barrel bolts to about 16 in lbs and the action bolt to about the same; and checked for clearance. It is unbelievable. With Wolf MT, I was getting groups of 0.75 inches or better at 75 yards off a bipod and a rear bag on a really uncomfortable bench. it's like a darned laser! Worth the kilo buck? Yep.

· Registered
5,725 Posts
I have two 10-22’s still in the process and I’m having so much fun I threw a Mark II in the works. Then I “have to” have different tools, supplies, gizmos, and “test” different parts and methods resulting in leftovers that have to be used on another or it would be waste. I don’t even know the actual monetary expenditure other than despite the large payments towards plastic the balance seems to hover. Whatever their cost might be if there is an end it’s just not possible they could ever cost more than my darling “X”.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.