Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

What Did I Do???

600 Views 8 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Rowdy
Well, I guess it was bound to happen, did take alittle longer than I expected actually LOL. Been looking pretty closely for sometime for a 22magnum. Heck after first checking into this and finding that the 10/22mag's are kind of hard to come by and all, I got where I even looked at several different brands of 22magnums...

I must say first off, its the first rifle I have ever bought that cost this much used and over the internet as well LOL. Sure hope I don't regret it Yikes:)

All kidding aside the little rifle looks like new with the PIC's I saw, as it was described like new with 20 rounds fired through it. Now all I got to do is wait for her to come in to my FFL. I will have to threaten my FFL as to not kid around with me on this thing when it gets here LOL. He has been known to do that and more than once LOL...

Now I got to get me an assortment of 22mag rounds so as to see what kind of diet she will like LOL. Has a 18" THM barrel with the comp. This too will be my first:) So I am getting a big dose of firsts here LOL. The THM is in carbon Fiber, sure hope I like that as well. Not had me one of these lite weight barrels made from material that they use to make boats from LOL...

Has the Hogue OM stock on her too, really like the feel of these and all, but I am quite concerned with them as how some guys have had to hold the forearm of the stock in place and then tighten up the take down bolt. I don't like the sound of that at all. The barrel is not suppose to hold the stock in place on a well tuned firearm if you ask me... I will be for looking at the shape of the stock once the barreled action is loosened up enough for a look see. Any weird stuff with the Hogue OM for as the run out of the forearm off to one side or the other, will be grounds for a phone call to Hogue.

I really can't swallow the idea of some of the guys here having to pull the forearm over and then tighten the take down bolt. Really sad if this turns out to be the case, as its the ideal stock for my 22mag as I want an all weather hunter, go getter done type of rifle. I figure also, if the Hogue doesn't pass the Rowdy's, paw's on test; Rowdy will be probably carving a wood stock out for her as the real wood does look killer if done in good wood. I seem to remember a sponsor here that has some really killer looking wood too. I get one of those in unfinished and do the do to the wood myself. I get enough oil finish on that the rain and weather won't do anything to it before I can dry and wipe her off. The wood has the look, but the Hogue OM has the feel I like. So we wait for this as well LOL...

Just waiting here, looking like this:)
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5,438 Posts
Congrats on a new purchase. You will either like the Hogue or you won't, I like my Hogue's and they serve their purpose as hunting stocks. The forearm does flex a little but I personally don't think it's enough to worry about. Once you find the ammo that barrel likes it should make a dandy hunting rig the way it's set up.

If you can, could you let us know the weight of the rifle before it's scoped?

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bet your both right too, the stock really does feel quite cool in how its so easy to hold in your paws. I sure hope you are right anyway LOL.

I have been quite serious on my selection of the 22mag with how much its going to weigh. For sure, will get the weight of her when I get her. I know what I have been told, its suppose to weigh right at 5 pounds 9 ozs. like she will be shipped. Thats with thew Hogue stock also. Will be curious as to how close that will be to what she weighs.

The scope I was planning on putting on her has now been changed with just what I had to pay for the rifle and all. So the scope I am now going to mount her with I have not got yet either LOL. More of the waiting:) The specs show two weights for the scope though, so being pretty sure she will only have one weight when I pull the scope from the box, guess I will have to see about it as well. One weight of the scope was 16ozs. the other was 19.5 ozs. So I am thinking she will be fairly close to 7 pounds give or take, which I can dig that weight...

Just hope the lightweight carbon fiber barrel doesn't let me down, I would sure hate to have to change the barrel for one of the big heavy rebar looking steel suckers to get her to shoot like I want LOL. 18" of heavy .920 rebar is sure going to bust the 9 pound mark if I do YIKES:( I have been betting alot on this deal from what I paid for this and online and never seen her in person and all. Sure gives new meaning to the mail ordered brides LOL...
Still waiting:)

· Registered
5,438 Posts
I know how you feel about the wait, I have ordered a couple rifle's over the net and it seems like it takes forever...especially the drive to get it. Very seldom do you hear about a bad VQ THM barrel so I wouldn't sweat it, unless someone was hard on the crown while cleaning it.

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't think they would have cleaned her at all if only 20 rounds fired through her LOL. I don't want to even think about a steel rod and nasty brush getting jabbed into her, while she was in the ready mode LOL. GURRR

This is how she is suppose to come.

Not a good quality PIC, but I think you can see her.
Now this next PIC is a better look see...

A few other and that is all I have right now to pass the time I must wait LOL...

The last one... The business end of her too. The very part of her you don't do wrong LOL...

· Registered
134 Posts
Rowdy Very nice now I am green. Mine is done and ready for the range but with school staring for my boys and all the fun that brings I have not got out to the range with it yet. Hope to here good things it shure looks like a winner!

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I don't have kids here, but I have noticed since school starting all the extra activities going on around here and all. It really does look like it would be really hard to get to sneek off for a few hours for special activities of your own:) I honestly don't know how parents do all they do with more than one child nowdays. Then I see or hear about some of the kids that get into so much trouble and quickly realize the why and how parents dig so deep to keep their kids all busy and hooked up LOL.

JW, I do look forward to reading how yours does when you do make time for some well over due special time of your own with your iron. I think about my waiting on something I have not even seen yet, but to honestly have one your all ready done with, the tweaking and all, ready for the shooting part, then to wait even more; well I don't have it so bad now:) Be sure to let us know how she does when you do make that thing report with that all to wonderful sound...

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I just got in from going to my FFL to pick-up the 22magnum. Well worth all the hassles too. Rifle is in perfect condition. Have not shot her yet or anything, but I have mounted the scope loose in the rings and have pawed her more than enough LOL. My FFL liked her so much so he wants one now also.

With magazine in receiver, she weighs 5.4 pounds empty. My digital scales use the .0-.9 spectrum. With rings, empty mag, scope with shade she was a dead even 7 pounds.

Its perfect for a carry/hunter rifle. Now if she shoots? I have six different boxes of ammo to start with, to see what she wants. Man this little darlin' feels good in my paws LOL... Should more than fit the bill. Got to shoot her in now... Checked the trigger pull and [email protected] pounds. Kind of on the light side for a carry/hunter, but I think I can suffer LOL.

Getting kind of late here for me, and even more so, since I got up at 4:00am this morning after staying up half the night before. So the butt is draggin' somewhat. Range report soon, I hope anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.