Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

What could it be?

1073 Views 32 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  LRJ
ok, so I have a possible trade set up off of craigslist tomorrow with a local guy willing to trade me what he refers to as a "Mossberg .22 with a folding front stock" I believe he could be referring to a couple models i've seen with the black plastic forend that folds down. What models came with this option? And what is the typical price range of them? I'm just trading him some old stuff I dont use, but I want to make sure I'm not getting horribly ripped off either.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Well, let's see... 142A, 142K, 152, 152K, 352k and 353. The "K" models all came with open sights, if memory serves me correctly.

The 142 (bolt-action) and 152 (semi) would definitely be the more desirable options. And you might hit the jackpot if it's a 142A with a t-bolt.:bthumb: I had a 152, and it's a cool carbine.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Missed the 342K, but that's ok. I had to use the reference page myself. And Steve is pretty spot on with which would be more desirable.

If it's a 142 with a T-handle bolt it's worth bit more than a regular bolt. If it's in pretty good to great shape, any of the mentioned models could bring $150 to 200. Typically, $125 to $175 would be a good working range (I think anyway - IF ALL THE SIGHTS ARE INTACT). If average to below, knock off $25.
Of course this is JMHO! Good Luck with your trade!

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Yep, I forgot about the 342K. I'm not much into the 300 series. They're fine rifles, but I'm into the older stuff.

Don't let the other feller know you've been talking with us.

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
...if it's not destroyed...
It's going to have to be pretty beat up before it's not worth the trade. But just the fact that he mentioned the fold-down stock is encouraging. That means it hasn't been cut down like a 142A that Rosscoe just got. Stocks can be cleaned up and/or refinished. The metal can always be reblued if it's too far gone. But that's all personal labor. A lot of us here have taken some sow's ears and made silk purses out of them.

And I had forgotten about the walnut extensions. They're definitely a plus.

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh trust me, i'm sure I learned a thing or two in a little thread i started here a few months ago titled "stock refinishing help" i think it was something like 7 pages? Either way the 146b stock that i re oiled came out wonderfully. it ended up getting me $265 in the end. Too bad I needed the money, it was a nice gun. Obviously I'm excited to get my hands on another mossy. Even if its in rough shape I'll more than likely get it cleaned up, the bore is really the only issue as far as "serious" problems for me

· Premium Member
24,519 Posts
It's going to have to be pretty beat up before it's not worth the trade. But just the fact that he mentioned the fold-down stock is encouraging. That means it hasn't been cut down like a 142A that Rosscoe just got. Stocks can be cleaned up and/or refinished. The metal can always be reblued if it's too far gone. But that's all personal labor. A lot of us here have taken some sow's ears and made silk purses out of them.

And I had forgotten about the walnut extensions. They're definitely a plus.
This:t

· Registered
442 Posts
Sounds like you're dealing with someone so ignorant about guns that they don't even know enough to look for the model info stamped on the barrel. You should be able to barter him down quite well, as he's trading some old poor quality rifle which isn't a Remington or Winchester, with cheap plastic parts, a dirty bore (probably), some gimmicky fold-down thing on the stock, etc. It's so old there may not even be parts available any longer. You know, standard negotiating tactics.

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well managed to get the trade for about $30 worth of stuff on my end. It turned out to be a 342ka in rough shape. The bluing is faded and surface rust is apparent in some spots and the stock is rough. I'm beginning the stock tonight. Luckily it just had a simple rear leaf sight with the elevator missing, I have an identical brand new one i'll be throwing on after I reblue the metal. Unfortunately it was missing the flip down unipod/handle and the buttplate was cracked in two with pieces missing. A considerable project i'm sure, but for that price for a funtioning firearm, i couldnt pass it up, pictures to follow soon.

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good to hear I didnt get such a bad deal, I'll be placing an order with Havlin's soon enough for the forend extension and to see if they have a buttplate. Now to experiment with cold bluing. Anyone have a descent product they can recommend?

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have something similar to the big 45, its basically a wound steel scrub for using on pots and pans, i can get them at the dollar store and I have a bunch. I'll give the brownells a shot. Is it something that I can use on existing blue as well? I know everyone says that with cold blue its all about the prep, but i'm looking to avoid taking it all down to white if i can.

On a side note it looks like havlins is backed up on forend orders :( anyone have any lying around? or maybe a buttplate?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.