Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kinda put one together on the fly last night, and it got me to wondering what exactly a budget build is.

My gut reaction was $500 and under, not including optics. I would include anything from the components that defrays the cost (stock, barrel, TG, etc) against the total budget.

What say you?

ps - I suppose I would call anything over 1K an "open" or "unlimited" class build.

·
Premium Member
10,430 Posts
Budget build. Before the great reset: Old plastic carbine collecting dust. Closeout sale on any bull barrel, Hogue Overmold stock . BX trigger. Thats what my first build was, except the trigger was from Hornet . And my glass was a 10-40 Barska . And a $10 bipod from Amazon. Total less than $300 plus the gun. Still got it, the ksa barrel shoots great,

You could come close today at $400 , if you shop,

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, I did this:
Like new 10-22 carbine, poly trg assy
Like new TacSol X Ring bbl
Excellent Ruger laminated target model stock
VQ hammer kit

For under $450, and I will sell off my stock and barrel to be around $350.

Then add back in whatever other upgrades I "need" later.... ☺

FYI - compared to an LVT that was on the rack with it, the carbine had a smoother, lighter trigger and much cleaner/smoother bolt reciprocation.
For all the good press the LVTs get, I was surprised.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds as good as any other definition to me. Getting the main components for the most bang for your buck. My "budget builds" almost always start with me going through my parts and realizing I just need one or two more parts to complete a functioning gun... Lol. 10/22s and ARs are horrible for this problem!

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
for me, "budget builds" are built with the stock stuff I have in the spare parts bin that was taken from other rifles being modded, or stuff I can get on sale, or used from the Trading Post

this build has a Butler Creek fluted bull barrel I got in a trade, a CWP/Ruger Target stock that was on a great clearance and only cost me $20, the Pike receiver, bolt, rings, and trigger housing were all from a TI black friday sale, the BX came from GrabAGun, the clear mags that I dyed green came during a birthday sale from Midway, and the scope came from the great guys over in the PIF thread right here on RFC...so yeah, I have about $300-$400 all in on this one...depending on what value you put on the barrel and scope

·
Premium Member
10,154 Posts
My idea of a budget build is buying good used parts at a good price, I have done this with several 10-22's. The Trading Post has provided what I have needed many times.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Everybody's "budget" is different. I rely on my "hobby fund" to do this kind of stuff, so whatever I can get in trade, something from the PIF forum (which isn't FREE if you follow the rules and post your own PIF!)
When I lived in MN I got my first 10/22 already built in exchange for an art print! I ended up stripping and staining the stock, so in essence it's still a "build".

·
Registered
139 Posts
With a budget build one puts a dollar amount (the budget) that will not be exceeded. That amount can be low or it can be high it depends on what the usage of the end product may be. You may have great expectations for accuracy so the budget allowed is higher or you may want an everyday plinker so the budget can be lower.
When I built my 10/22 I was seeking accuracy and I had no budget other than to keep the final cost reasonable.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Everybody's "budget" is different. I rely on my "hobby fund" to do this kind of stuff, so whatever I can get in trade, something from the PIF forum (which isn't FREE if you follow the rules and post your own PIF!)
When I lived in MN I got my first 10/22 already built in exchange for an art print! I ended up stripping and staining the stock, so in essence it's still a "build".
it's free if you post up a part you're never going to use...

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
my budget build was using parts i already owned , take offs/switch outs from other rifles over the years , i also sold some bits to fund a couple i wanted and traded some parts to get where i wanted to go , it cleaned out my spare stuff bin which was part of the motivation , not one of my favorites but the process was kept me entertained for a couple months - my son was using it to train my grandson so it has served a purpose as well ,

·
Banned
18 Posts
my budget build was using parts i already owned , take offs/switch outs from other rifles over the years , i also sold some bits to fund a couple i wanted and traded some parts to get where i wanted to go , it cleaned out my spare stuff bin which was part of the motivation , not one of my favorites but the process was kept me entertained for a couple months - my son was using it to train my grandson so it has served a purpose as well ,
😌

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
'Budget' is a relative terms, and has a varying meaning for different people and applications.

A budget gun for a kid to learn on is far different than a budget gun for bench rest competitions.
Generally speaking, a gun that delivers good 'bang for the buck' for its intended purpose is a 'budget' build.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I kinda put one together on the fly last night, and it got me to wondering what exactly a budget build is.

My gut reaction was $500 and under, not including optics. I would include anything from the components that defrays the cost (stock, barrel, TG, etc) against the total budget.

What say you?

ps - I suppose I would call anything over 1K an "open" or "unlimited" class build.
I just did a budget build myself, like last night. Purchased the receiver & bolt ($235) had everything else on hand. That's my idea of "budget".

Forget about a new carbine for under $300, unless you live a big city & even then. I was looking at $250-used, $330+new.

So let's try it this way..
Do you have a dealer who will do a transfer for you for reasonable $$ amt?? If yes... Ruger 10/22 Stripped Black Receiver
I got mine from FFL Monday, far better condition than what I expected - $134.99 total.
Bolt, unfortunately JWH's have gone from the $50~$60 I paid for my first two, to $100+
Rework factory bolt.. what a joke and almost as much $$ as JWH.
Barrel, think you be hard pressed to find a better VALUE than this.. Fedderson 10/22 Fluted Bull Barrel, 16.25"
Very accurate at an affordable price, which fits into the "budget build" thing you're trying to do.
Value = best bang for the buck, not a big name BJ special like KIDD who lives on.. I don't know, I was very disappointed - I'll leave there.
There's $400 so far

Stock - depends on your tastes & what you want to do with the completed rifle - how about one of these for $101.24.. Adaptive Tactical Ruger 10/22 Stock - Kuiu Vias - have to wait for the seller to send you offer and they have other color options if that one doesn't get it done for you.

Trigger - Clark Custom will do a trigger job on a stock Ruger trigger pack for $120 + return ship.. Clark Custom 10/22 Trigger Work - add $65 if you want an OEM Ruger aluminum trigger housing. Stay away from KIDD if your on a budget - you'll waste hundreds of $$ for a worthless pile of crap.

Another option would be to ask people what luck they've had with Hornet Custom, only other affordable option I can think of.
BX's.. if you get a good one you'll be happy, otherwise you won't, night / day - no in-between.

Add about $50 for the piddly crap, bolt handle, take down screw, V-block, assorted other odds-n-ends - unless you already have that stuff laying around.

That's about $650 total for a "budget" target rifle less optics.

Yes, there's better barrels, trigger packs, nicer stocks, etc. BUT, you'll be looking at a grand before you know it.

If a grand is your idea of "budget" than by all means indulge.

Good Luck with your build

·
Registered
317 Posts
Did nearly the same thing recently, finished the build last night.

You got lucky & were able to sell / trade surplus parts you had for the stuff you needed.

I've got stuff listed in the classifieds, sending it to new homes would have really helped, buttt....

I'm supposed to sell it for pennies on the dollar, then let people stuff paypal fee's down throat on top of that.

Since people cannot figure out how to use PP, then let them goto the post office like I do. I can wait, my rifle is done.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts