Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as how Federal blew up a few .22's, I'm considering just asking for a check instead of a replacement. I was previously shooting a Savage 64F which served me well over the years, but I want to see what else is out there for the same amount of money that might intrigue me. I already have the 10/22 area covered and would prefer something in stainless.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey Glock......

I like your handle...and I have five of them...... Love 'em too. Both Savage and Marlin make semi's and bolt guns in stainless steel...and they should fit in your price range. I can't speak for either maker's semi's since I've never owned one, but I have bolt actions from both and am very pleased...but not in stainless. Why not take a look at www.savagearms.com and www.marlinfirearms.com and see if anything suits you. If not, I'm sure someone will have some more suggestions. And welcome to RFC...I'm sure you'll like it here. Later.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
You might have a look at the CZ 452 Trainer or Special which is at the top end of your $200 range. The fit and finish is very good and the accuracy is excellent. In my opinion there is no better gun out of the box for the money or even 2 or 3 times the money. I'm not sure if you are interested in a bolt gun but it would be a nice choice.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at the CZ's and don't think they'd be my type. I've never bought a wooden gun before and am aprehensive to do so. I looked around today and ruled out the Rem. 597, and anything in Marlin. I'm considering a Savage: http://www.savagearms.com/rimfire/mark11_series/mark11fss.htm This seems to just be the bolt version of the 64F, and well within my price range. Are there any opinions on this one, and does it look it can be scoped cheaply? I can't seem to find much other than this and the problem is nowhere around here stocks...anything...basically, which means it wouldn't exactly be best to plunk down money and not have it fit me. It's either probably a Savage or anything 10/22 for the wife.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I believe ChiefDave's favorite electronics store WallMart has the Savage for a little less than full retail. Some people don't shop there on principal, but I can't see a problem with saving a few dollars. Lets you spend more on ammo!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't really care who I get it from as long as it hasn't been fondled by Billy Bob and his gang. I saw one site that had it for 170 but they aren't actively selling. Called Wal*Mart earlier for a price check and they decided to put me on hold and never come back. I don't get why local stores don't price match with gun shops on the net.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I bought the girlfriend a Savage 22 for christmas, I haven't shot it (she won't let me touch it other than to clean it :D ) but she's happy with it.

she bought me a Marlin Model 60 for christmas, it is very nice and shoots real well, I'm real happy with that one.

Both seem to be pretty decent options.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Two things on price matching.

Have you added to the Internet price the $10 to $25 shipping charge and the $20 to $50 fee the FFL will charge you for accepting the shipment and doing the paperwork?

The shop has money tied up in inventory, wages, utility bills, insurance, taxes and whatnot. In return, you get to see the actual gun you'll be buying and don't have to take the luck of the draw on what Internet 'store' decides to send you. Maybe they picked through the boxes and kept all the guns with the nice wood to sell to their friends. Who knows.

My $.22 worth.

John

·
Registered
685 Posts
my 2 cents

I've read good things about the Savage bolt rinfires but have experienced first hand the Marlins. I've bought 3, all from Wallymart, 2 in SS. I honestly can't say anything bad about any of the Marlins. ( in fact, I'm currently working on a Light rifle Class NRA Distinguished Expert Cert using a 880 SQ w little more than a home triger job and $40 scope.) Above the fact that fit and finish is decient ( for a $200 gun), they shoot great and are easy to tinker with. Lastly, I think overall ( at least in the NE) the Marlins are a bit more popular than the Savage. That means lots of support and shared knowledge. ( i.e.spare mags around in local departments stores, trigger job instructions on the net , aftermarket stocks, etc.)

hth

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/boltAction22/880SS.htm

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey Glock......

You can disregard the suggested retail prices on the Savage Arms WebSite...anything in the rimfire line can be had almost anywhere at least $25-30 less. I have a regular dealer I use for my purchases, and he's in the ballpark with some of the www prices. If you want to stay with a semi, you could probably get the 64FVSS (heavy floated stainless barrel) for around the $200 amount. If you can't work anything out with a local dealer, Wal-Mart will order what you want from their catalog...if it's not in stock. It's a little hassle, but you can save some cash...... And John is right about www buying...it will cost quite a bit more than buying locally. I've dont it both ways...... Later.

·
Registered
618 Posts
For Glock...

Your quote, " I don't get why local stores don't price match with gun shops on the net?"

Don'tcha get it? When's the last time you walked into an internet store and got to handle anything? I buy all my guns and most of my ammo and accessories from local gunshops. Optics I usually get from the net, generally one of our sponsors like SWFA because they stock and can quickly ship what I want. Certain other things that my dealer doesn't stock, I'll buy on the net.

You should always strive to maintain good relationships with honest, reputable dealers. Believe me, it comes in very handy. We need them to survive. I even buy my gunsmith his favorite cigars, because of the little things he does for me at no charge. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Exactly what OldCorpsJoe said.

you may get a deal on that rifle over the net and save 10 bucks over your dealer's price, but when you throw in 15 bucks worth of shipping and 20 bucks to do the FFL transfer, you just got screwed.

support your local shops or you'll be mail ordering everything, bullets, cleaning supplies, etc when he goes out of business.

there is a time and place for internet orders though. My local shop won't stock aftermarket barrels or any of the other cool stuff, that's where the sponsors here come in. A VQ hammer from Hawk, a Stock from Boyds, Barrel from Ken, that's all cool, and my dealer can't complain because he won't stock it. I have no problems supporting the fellas that help make this place happen.

also, I won't order guns or guitars off of the internet, these are just two things that I have to touch before I let go of my money.

just my opinion..

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Chief says : yes , do support yer local dealer ,--- even if it
is WAL MART.

Wal Mart = Where else can you be Entertained for a full day making a firearm purchase. Take someone with you. By the
time you walk out " they'll think your a rocket scientist"

Wal Mart like (Red Lobster)?

Red Lobster restraunt = Ya WALK IN= order dinner , have
a mixed drink or glass of wine. They purposely hold up yer meal,
so you can drink and drink and drink. More money for them.

Your $25.00 tab = just reached $100.00

Wal Mart = Well , they just keep ya waiting, so you will buy
many other things while you wait,wait,wait !
And where else can you enjoy a " three ring circus " any and
every day of your life . And theres no admission charge.

No. I love my Wal Mart stores , They are like a flea market , with
"""""""ROLL BACK""""" prices. BWAHahhaaa . THANK YOU.
Sam Walton .....................super circus.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with OldCorpsJoe and stratcat on this one!

I try and support my local dealer every time I get the chance. Guns and ammo, of course!

On scopes, I just can't afford to. When all he has is Tascos and very low-end Simmons scopes, I just have to go to the internet for it.

Of course, when I find a price that I can't turn down on the internet (such as my 10/22 Magnum from froghair), I don't hesitate to purchase it. My $20 FFL transfer fee still goes to my dealer and everyone is HAPPY!!! :)

(It also helps with the 1 day wait for long guns and 3 day for handguns here in Illinois, when you take your dealer with you to a gun show and he gets the gun with his FFL! Then, you don't have to drive all the way back to the gun show to get your gun!!!)

·
Registered
615 Posts
ChiefDave said:
Chief says : yes , do support yer local dealer ,--- even if it
is WAL MART.

Wal Mart like (Red Lobster)?

Red Lobster restraunt = Ya WALK IN= order dinner , have
a mixed drink or glass of wine. They purposely hold up yer meal,
so you can drink and drink and drink. More money for them.

Your $25.00 tab = just reached $100.00

Wal Mart ...where else can you enjoy a " three ring circus " any and
every day of your life . And theres no admission charge.

No. I love my Wal Mart stores , They are like a flea market , with
"""""""ROLL BACK""""" prices. BWAHahhaaa . THANK YOU.
Sam Walton .....................super circus.
Hard to cut that post! The only bigger more fun free circus is the flea market!

McDonalds even knows the drink trick. Charge way too much for way to little, and make sure to add lots of salt!

Do support the local guys when you can. They will be there at the last minute when you run out of you're favorite ammo. They will tip you off when they have a cheap 10/22. Best, they are face to face. New gun shop in town, I stopped by. "Just what reloading stuff would you like me to keep?" Can't beat that!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Comparing to internet dealers I'm talking about how some want insane prices compared to what I can get it elsewhere, all of the dealers around here don't want to play the game...at all. Scheels refuses to lower their prices even a dollar, and they're the largest supplier around. All of our local gunsmiths are rude, want to jerk you around, act like they don’t have time to help you, and aren't worthy of my business. I'm considering opening my own gun shop, actually. When I'm talking about bad prices here, we're talking 100 dollars on guns, 50 dollar FFL fees, and 22 dollar boxes of standard .22 bulk packs, so it isn't any pittance either. I looked at the Marlin and it just doesn't seem to fit me, the stock isn't quite right. I've tried calling Wal*Mart but the idiots working there can't seem to do anything, even to the point of saying they can't get a 10/22 in! As to what Federal caused, I had 3 squibs and didn't know it. This was the premium line classic ammo, also. All guns were extensively cleaned and correctly maintained before, and never had a problem before. Damage was as follows:

K10/22RP ( now discontinued :( ) Severely bulged barrel.
Savage 64F Severely bulged barrel, 2 CM section of chamber liner blown out.
Savage 64FSS 2MM ring now in chamber liner that wasn't there previously.

I didn't know any of this had occurred until I got home, as that type of ammo was louder than what I usually shoot. Federal has NOT been cooperative, taken 2 and a half months literally, and basically constantly ignored me. Scheels also didn’t’ seem to care much when I reported it. Federal tried to say there was no damage to the 64FSS so I had to sent it to Savage for inspection (FedEx lost my package for a half month and shipped it to the wrong state, but that’s still entirely too long to ignore someone with my kind of a problem) so it should be done by this Wednesday. I'm looking to get a check for full MSRP out of all of the guns which is why I'm looking for a new one to replace the 64F.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.