Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

What BRNO insert for UL at 50 yards?

438 Views 12 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  kseatm
Just took delivery of a set of Slimline inserts from Ray McDougall. They're for the set of BRNO peeps on my UL and I'll be shooting at A51s (same size black bull as an A23/5) at 50 yards.

What size insert should I use?

Cheers
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6,110 Posts
On A23s, I personally like 3.0 as the norm. But in good light I prefer the 2.5 mm, which is too small for many folks.
Everyone is going to have their own preference, and by switching the inserts, you'll quickly get a feel of which one(s) you personally prefer.
Have some fun. Its there for the taking now. :bthumb:

· Premium Member
7,876 Posts
I don't know if there is a really good answer for this question.. it's gonna depend on your eyes and your comfort level with the sight picture on the target.

Personally, I've had good results using 0.9mm diopter and either a 2.4 or 2.5mm front insert .. that works well for <me>, YMMV of course. :D

(I use that same size insert on targets at 25, 50 and 100 yds)

Since you have the whole set from Ray, experiment a little and shoot a couple of targets with a mid-size insert, then go up or down a size at a time till you find your comfort zone.

Good shooting to ya!

:coolgleam

· Registered
4,939 Posts
I switched my front setup to the 3.0 and was able to turn the rear Iris down to .65,,with the 2.5 I neededthe rear set at 1.0 to see well but the larger front callows you to go lower on the rear and it seemed to help me get a lot better sight/target picture,,

· Premium Member
58,322 Posts
Back when I first got my Brno model 4 some of the folks on the Bench Rest Peeps target threads told me to go larger than seemed right at first, its helped me. I'm pretty certain I've got either the 3.2 or 3.5 inserts in my model 4 and UL. I shoot the A23/5 exclusively with them.

· Registered
381 Posts
I agree about everything above.

What I did was start with what I THOUGHT I would need and then went one size above and one size below and shot some targets. I ended up a bigger size than I thought I would use.

The targets will tell you which one you NEED (in that particular shooting conditions).

Keith

· Registered
6,522 Posts
I'm a little odd as I use a bigger front than most. Don't have a UL, but on my longer barreled rifles, I'm in the 3.4-4.1 range depending on the distance between the front sight and my eye. On the rear, I'm usually in the .9- 1.5 range, depending on the lighting.

Just try different sizes and as mentioned, your eyes and the results will tell you what works.

Good luck with the rifle and enjoy the sights. They are fun.

Kenny

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.