·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
fond memories of using a firearm?

How old were you?
Who were you with?
Where were you?
What was the occasion? (hunting, plinking, target?)
What were you shooting?
What did you most enjoy?
What if anything did you not enjoy?
What made it special?
What were your feelings afterwards?
How long have you been shooting?
How has it affected you? (Your thoughts, activities, beliefs).

You go first and I'll share with you.

Pete K.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The first time I ever shot a real gun:
*Age 5.
*Dad!
*Just off a backroad, at the site of an old sawmill. The sawmill was long gone, but a huge pile of sawdust remained for a good backstop.
*Plinking, I guess. ("Rite of Passage" might be a little high-falutin'.) :D
*A Stevens model 94 single barrel .410 shotgun. It had the Tenite plastic stock, & I still have it. Dad traded a camera for it when I was a baby. :t
*Getting to shoot a real gun, *and* I hit the target! (Not that tough on a still target with a shotgun- but hey, I was 5!)
*What's not to enjoy? :confused:
*My Dad trusted me enough to let me shoot a *real gun*! And I hit the target! :D
*Feelings after? I was on Cloud 9!
*Been shooting ever since. Now age 50+.
*Still like anything that shoots, fondest memories are of hunting with my Dad, gonna be happy to pass that Stevens .410 along to my brother's son in a few years.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pdwight.....

Pdwight said:
My dad had a Remington 550-1 that he had bought used from someone at the plant he worked at. That would have been 1964 and the rifle was well used then, I had a BB Gun but was a little afraid of the noise (no one used hearing protection then) and I thought it would kick..but of course it didn't. Like most 8 year olds I had a bit of problem with an adult sized gun like a 550. I had picked up a box of old vacuum tubes from various radios and TVs people had thrown away. We took 3 boxes of ammo and went to the gravel pit to shoot. My dad was amazed how well I could hit those glass tubes at probably 20 yards...especially after I got over the fact that it was not a noisy gun...I had only seen a 12 ga. shot before and it scared me..but this was nice and I was hooked forever. My dad could shoot game like mad, he could hit a running rabbit in a field with that old 550, I never could and still could not. I could smoke him on still targets in a few years. He passed away in 1980 and I still have that old 550-1. We had precious few things in common, shooting and hunting were the only real things we agreed on...sort of ;

Dwight P
It was good to remember those times. Thank you for sharing. Some things are precious, some more than others.
Thanks again

Pete K.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
unclestu...

unclestu said:
The first time I ever shot a real gun:
*Age 5.
*Dad!
*Just off a backroad, at the site of an old sawmill. The sawmill was long gone, but a huge pile of sawdust remained for a good backstop.
*Plinking, I guess. ("Rite of Passage" might be a little high-falutin'.) :D
*A Stevens model 94 single barrel .410 shotgun. It had the Tenite plastic stock, & I still have it. Dad traded a camera for it when I was a baby. :t
*Getting to shoot a real gun, *and* I hit the target! (Not that tough on a still target with a shotgun- but hey, I was 5!)
*What's not to enjoy? :confused:
*My Dad trusted me enough to let me shoot a *real gun*! And I hit the target! :D
*Feelings after? I was on Cloud 9!
*Been shooting ever since. Now age 50+.
*Still like anything that shoots, fondest memories are of hunting with my Dad, gonna be happy to pass that Stevens .410 along to my brother's son in a few years.
Feels good to remember doesn't it? Five years old and cloud 9!! Fourty something years later and still at it. Great.
My purpose in posting these questions was to support my beliefs that our sport will be passed down to the youngsters, or as they grow up the teenagers, or older. It's never to late.
You mentioned handing down your 4-10 to your brothers son.
Take him with you and enjoy the experience from his point of view. The sport and tradition is well and alive with folks like you.
Thanks for your reply,
Pete K.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PDwright....

Pdwight said:
And many of my other collection will go onto my Grandchildren as well.

I am traching Zachary to shoot now, he loves it. :t
How old is your grandson Zac? Five!! What are you teaching him .454 Casull? Just kidding, Probably you and I don't need that teacing either! The Casull I mean! !
Couple of weeks ago a range manager from New York forgot that he loaded up with 300 Gr. Win Super X instead of his gentle loads in his Casull. My twenty one yr. old daughter cleaned up and bandaged the 3/4" cut between his eyes and changed the bandage cause it was wet.
So, Where do you take Zac? What is he shooting? How is he doin? Did he get the "bug" yet? Bet he enjoys his granddads attention and feelin' like a big guy!!

He's a big guy eh? Five years old....... He'll remember....
Good going,
Pete K.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Wow, that was a long time ago, but I will give it a try.

1. Age 10, or thereabouts

2. A same age friend, equally unknowledgeable and totally unsupervised.

3. Friends house, backyard, shooting cans off a large rock. Learned about ricochets.

4. His Winchester single shot, my Remington 550 semiauto that had just been given to me along with five other guns.

5. Mechanical action of the Remington, report of that powerful .22 ammo.

6. Scared, (See #3)

7. Moral of the story, supervise your kids, my parents, as wonderful as they were did not have the time to. I recovered from that first experience and went on to live with that Remington 550 and enjoy many,many hunting and plinking experiences. I taught each of my kids gun safety at an early age and it has stuck.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hi guys. I guess one of my fondest moments regarding firearms,took place with my neighbors kid. We had a single mom living next to us for a number of years,and she had a son {coincidently named Brian also} about nine years old. He used to come over when I was working on the hot rod,or just playing in the garage,and hang out with his friends. {Old guys are always doing something interesting}. Anyway,one day I was doing some work on an old .22,and he was full of questions. Well, he had never been around guns of any type,and I realised that without a dad around,he probably never would. So,after talking to his mom,and assuring her that all would be well,I took "LITTLE" Brian to a shooting range. Actually,I was almost as excited as he was. I had taken a variety of weapons with us that day,as I wanted to expose him to as much as possible. He did not care much for the high power stuff,{TOO NOISEY} but he fell in love with the .22,s. After we finished the days events,I asked him what he had learned. He replied "GUNS ARE NOT TOYS". What else I asked. "NEVER POINT A GUN AT ANYONE,AND ALWAYS TREAT THEM AS IF THEY ARE LOADED". Mission accomplished I figured. A day later,his mom called me to come over.After I got there,she took me to Brian,s room. He had taken the targets we had used,and had scotch taped them onto his bedroom wall. I knew then that I had provided him with at least one memory that he would carry with him for a long time. Unfortunatly,a few months later,he and his mom moved,but I still have fond thoughts of that "SPECIAL" day,and I bet he has also. I wonder if he reapplied those targets to the walls of his new bedroom. Brian.

·
Registered
804 Posts
My first memory is about when my Dad and I were shooting at some rotten eggs floating down a creek. He had just got back from WWll, so I must have been six. We moved to the country the following year and I've been shooting and hunting in all the 60 years since then.

My first firearm of my own was a Stevens single shot .410 that my Dad had bought for my Mom when she was pregnant with me. My Dad walked into town and bought it for $7.50, then carried it home on the city bus. Try that nowadays. :eek:
My first rifle was a Stevens Favorite that belonged originally to my great uncle. There was a flood here in 1951 and his house was inundated. He wouldn't go back to his house after the water went down, so I "liberated" the Stevens. Both guns are still in the family. The .410 is still in excellent shape, but the Favorite shows considerable wear and use.

I have always been fortunate enough to live in the country and be able to shoot whenever I wanted. I dread the time when I'll have to go to town and give up the freedom of movement I've enjoyed all these years. :(

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
Not real, but it started my interests in guns and the shooting sports....a pair of "Fanner Fifty" cap guns complete with vinyl holsters. Spent countless hours watching Roy and Hoppy with my six guns strapped to my side.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Woulda been about 1968 or so for my first shooting experience- with my Dad... there were 2 guns- a Mossberg 346-B with target sights, and a Remington auto 12 ga.- the model # number escapes me now. I was ten years old, and neither gun fit me- I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with either. That old Remington set me down in shin deep swamp water on my butt :D Hearing protection was unheard of for us in those days.... and I loved every minute of it! I went out with Dad as much as I could, every chance I could get....

I try and pass it on to the Grandkids now, with the smallest .22 rilfes I can get my hands on for them. Dunno what point Dad was trying to make with the 12 gauges- my first gun was a 12 ga single shot- he probly wanted me into an all purpose gun... The effort was not lost on me, but .22 rifles are now my favourites.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ah, the pain of nostalgia!
The year was 1940, I was '...going on six". For three years I'd been without any Dad. Wound up temporarily fostered in a family that had a 12 year old son...Eagle Scout, model plane builder, all around good egg. The perfect person to take a neglected kid under his wing. He had a Daisy Red Ryder, and against my Mom's objections, his Dad 'arranged' for me to have a BB gun of my own.
In those days, kids could shoot and hike unsupervised. After a few months of BB gun experience, I was more than ready to shoot my first REAL gun.
We hiked to a large apple orchard a mile from our house. Set up 'drops' in the crotch of a bush, and plinked at them with a six-inch Iver Johnson 'Sealed Eight' top-break revolver. He let me try his .22 rifle, too, but the stock was way to long, for the shrimp that I was then.
I shot the pistol with the barrel resting on his shoulder. Not safe then or now...but no harm done.
After 14 months, I was moved on to another, nearly gunless situation (although I kept my Daisy, and began a long love affair with archery after that.) I had almost no contact with my 'big brother' again: only one brief meeting. But I still remember those days, almost seven decades later. I know that if I'm any sort of a man, it's at least in part due to the good influence of Stan and his Dad Earl. They must be gone now, but I hope to someday hoist a flagon with them, in Valhalla.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Well since I was a city boy and my dad wasn't a gun guy my first exposure to them was pellet rifles. My first real firearm experience was when I moved to PA when I was 13 and everyone hunted pheasants then. I got my mother to take me to my friend's house and we went out in the back field. I was lent a Winchester 97 sawed off riot gun, 12 ga. and devoid of blueing. No pheasants but a whopping respect for the power of a shotgun (sore shoulder).

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pdwight, Look at that face....

Pdwight said:
Is now Nine, he has been shooting for almost 2 years. Close on the model...its actuallt a CZ 452 Scout. We shoot at the club I belong to and Zach has actually shot in several matches with his little rifle. I let him do supervised plinking off the back deck at soda cans ocasionally ....using Colibres.

Dwight P

Here is a pic of Zach when he got his Scout last Christmas
That picture of Zach is priceless!! I see a very proud and happy grandson that loves his top of the line CZ452 Scout with topped off scope!! He cannot express in words the way he feels about you and what you do for him because he is still a boy of nine years, but his expression tells it all. He is showing love of several things, love for the way you make him feel about himself, love of his rifle, love of doing it, love of the comradery he can share with you and much much more.
Your a good man and he will return your love many times over and you will be with him to express yours while sharing experiences. You are building wonderfull memories together!!

Respectfully,
Pete K.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Year was 47, rifle was a Rem. 510 (which I still have) date was probably Dec. 26th. I received this rifle for Christmas at age 8, now I may have shot a 22 befor this but my memory is foggy on that. Dad took me shooting from then on. He would carry the rifle squirrel hunting, but let me shoot the squirrel. Even back then had to be 12 to get a license. Shot Dad's Win. 63 and Rem. 12C alot also. Still have both of those rifles also. By the time I was 12 was allowed to hunt by myself. No Hunter Safety in those days, but it had been drilled in to me by my Father. Brings back a lot of fond memories. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I dont remember what my favorite gun experience was. but from this pic can you tell I liked guns. This is about the age I fell in love with shooting ,Can you tell. Wish I still had them old toys to hand down to my son. :( This was about 1975ish

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.