Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Just curious here, what do you use to clean your 917? All of it, the rods and solvents to lube! Also how often?

Right now I'm using a Dewey rod with a Stoney Point bore guide. I have Dewey jags, a cotton mop and a bronze brush. The cleaner is Hoppe's #9 and for lube I'm using Moly Fushion oil. For patches I use the cheap fiberous patches (rather than the ones that feel like t-shirt material.) At this point I've been cleaning every hundred rounds or so, the brush hasn't touched the bore yet but if copper starts to build up I will most likely use the brush. The polishing I did before shooting it along with the Moly Fushion treatment has made the copper build up much less than I figured. Anyway like I said I was just curious how you folks are cleaning yours.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
Barrel has been treated with molyfusion.
solvent is hoppes #9 mixed 50/50 with kroil.
Homemade patch worm from 50 lb test fishing line. 100% cotton patches.
after cleaning, I run a dry patch thru it then one patch with Moly fusion oil and put it away. I never use a brush and have never had any copper fouling. I clean it after every shooting session. I don't hunt, just punch paper at the gun club.

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
fishing line (25 lb test seems to work) cotton patches, solvent, then dry patches till the solvent is gone and a very very lightly oiled patch to keep rust at pay. dont clean it only once or twice a year because it doesnt get shot much. for the price of that i can shoot shotgun lol

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
fishing line is going to be hard to photograph. cut a piece of fishing line 25 lb test or larger to the length you want. Tie a good knot on one end cut off excess by knot. Now just pierce the line thru a patch and your ready to clean.

Warning: Only put one patch on at a time.......

·
Registered
257 Posts
curious; what do you mean by "Melt A Ball"

just melt the end of the trimmer line till it globs into a ball ,

or
melt some sort of ball ONTO the trimmer line...:confused:

if melting line till it 'globs' , your saying that then poke that thru a 'patch'
will be enuff to hold during 'pull-thru'...:hide:

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Blaster50 said:
curious; what do you mean by "Melt A Ball"

just melt the end of the trimmer line till it globs into a ball ,

if melting line till it 'globs' , your saying that then poke that thru a 'patch'
will be enuff to hold during 'pull-thru'...:hide:
Yes. Just don't get carried away with size of the glob. And that's why he added "just use one patch at a time"

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SLCDave said:
Exactly. The ball blob will hold the patch as you pull the line through. The line is stiff enough to easily go down the barrel as well.
I use the weedwacker line method on my 10/22s, I just tied a knot in it rather than melting a glob on it.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
257 Posts
that just sounds ~to cool~ I cant wait to try it:yippee:

my method of cleaning is a bare rod down the muzzle with a slot jag on it
then I slid a patch into it, then squirt it with Kroil, then pull it back out
from breech to muzzle once...
cleans junk out and oils it all in one shot

(I do a thorough cleaning every few months or so)

thank for the 'tips' and help all :wave:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.