Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, let me rephrase...

What are considered acceptable groups at 50 yards from a good rest??

I'm still getting my smallbore legs, and finding that the conditions really play into it, so my consistency and technique still need work. But, when I'm on my game, I find it easy to hang around the .3" group size at 50 yards with my heavy-barrel 77/22. When I'm facing strong wind, I open up to .5" to .75" groups unless I get lucky with a group.

Is that decent, so-so or stinky? I haven't shot smallbore in competition and I'm still using pretty much a stock rifle so I'm wondering if I'm good enough to do get involved in competing.

·
Registered
330 Posts
swingset

Those groups sound 'bout right for a stock 77/22.Unless of course you're doing it with BAB ammo,then those groups would be real good.:D

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
swingset,

Thats a start, .3" I'm sure is a good start for a M77. I don't have a M77 myself but ussually get .2" or so out of my 10/22 which has been worked over some, still have more to do yet. They say a bolt gun will beat a semi everytime, this is something many will choose to debate. But I should say I could see with a little work you'll be able to cut those groups even further.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gmc,

My 77/22 is capable of much lower. I have redone the trigger and some tweaking to the bedding. It's stock except for the Timney Sear, but it's not out of box stock, either. When things are "just right", I can put all 5 through the same hole but I realize that when I'm not doing that, it's my hands that are the problem. I'm still getting my fundamentals straight, which is hard because I've have a lifetime of bad habits to correct.

I guess I'll go to the local club and sit in on some small bore matches and see how everything goes. I don't want to embarass myself, but I also want to learn so I'll have to jump in and see how I do.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
swingset,

Don't know how they are at the local club, but I would suggest getting started and forget the embarrassment factor. More than likely, you'll find a couple other shooters willing to help you out. And you'll find that after several matches they'll be taking pride in the improvements they helped you make.

Dave Z.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.