Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what everyone is using for squirrel hunting these days… i usually use SK STD + HP… Hollow Pointed with a hollow pointing tool… Most of my Squirrel ammo is higher end RN ammo and HP’ed with a tool…

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Just got a Neal Waltz die set at the beginning of May, have tested HP'd CCI-SV and Norma TAC-22 with it at the range, and it does very well. Will be using "good" SV LRN ammo and putting it through the HP die from now on. It does have an EPS (Like Eley Tenex, Match, etc) die also; so I'll probably try some of that too, but it doesn't feed well in a couple of my rifles, one Kidd one Bergara BMR...feeds fine in both Anschutz 64 and 54.

·
Registered
69 Posts
CCI mini mag HP, RWS HVHP, Eley Edge, Eley subs, Aguilla HVHP, Winchester 410, 2.5” #6, Winchester 12g, 2-3/4” #6.
Guess it depends on what gun I carry.

·
Premium Member
59,098 Posts
In my .22's, RWS Rifle Match that's been HP'd, in my .17m2's Eley, in my PCP's the heaviest pellet they handle well.

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
RWS seems to work pretty well ins das Amerikaner rifles too. CCI Subsonic is good, if not always quite as accurate as the RWS. The older 40 grainer Eley was great so naturally they killed it and replaced it with a 38 grainer. That is terribly inaccurate from my Kimber Hunter. The subs that SK used to make were great. The Kimber sucked with CCI Segmented Subsonic and the Supressor too.

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
Federal 712 38gr. Game shok usually. This stuff is the same View attachment 310933
I have used those 712's before and if I were going to use high velocity ammo they would be the ones that I would choose to stick with. I found them to be excellent killers, with evidence of enough expansion to kill well without the massive tissue damage that some hollowpoints do. Velocity ran around 1300 fps from my Kimber Hunter so the trajectory was good and flat. The accuracy of these was the best out of all of the hvhp's that I tested, again from my rifle, might perform differently from another barrel.

They also performed quite well on groundhogs, armadillos and crows. A good general purpose hunting round.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Here in Kentucky, I use either my .410-3" #4 or #5 shot, or my CZ 452 American .22 LR CCI Hollow Point bullets. When I lived in Southern Indiana, I mostly used my .22 Hornet rifle, with light non-destructive loads consisting of: 7.0 grains SR-4759 / 50 grain Hi-Velocity bullet / loaded up in Remington Hornet cases. Velocity = 1,500 FPS in 20" barrel. (1-in-14" twist) OR 4.5 grains of Unique / 45 grain bullet / also loaded up in Remington Hornet cases. (1-in-16" Twist). Both loads are very accurate and non-destructive on Squirrels. Sadly, I can't use the Hornet for Squirrels as one can only use Rimfire rifles or pistols for hunting small game, here in Kentucky.

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
Any bulk HV HP'd in a waltz die as long as it groups well enough for early season.
I'm not one of the only head shots crowd - kill shots - our squirrels are big enough
that you still get decent meat with body shots - not much in the shoulder anyhow.
17HM2 Eley later when the ranges open up. Sit and snipe.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts