Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I could shoot the HM2 out of my 22 longrifle? I shoot longrifles out of my 22mag. So the HM2 should work ok out of my 22, right?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
yes and no.

yes it would work but only a moron would want to do it.

having a smaller bullet bounce off the sides of the barrell is just begging for trouble. at the very least the accuracy will be crap, at worse you could bulge your barrel and/or other damage to your gun or yourself and the HM2 ammo is 2-3 times the price of the proper ammo.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What's it worth

tweak'e said:
yes and no.

yes it would work but only a moron would want to do it.

The 17M2 is necked down. when you fire the case will strech out to fill the .22lr chamber. It will go off but impact of the 17 bullet bouncing down the barrel could be dangerous to shooter and at best give absolutely lowsy accuracy. More than likely damage the rifling in your .22LR.

As for the .243 in 308. Same story different moron. It is one thing to do something stupid yourself only you and your rifle get hurt. broadcasting this to other people is inexcusible.

Yes people fire form cases etc but they probably use heavily reduced loads and with advice from gunsmiths. :1t

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
1shot1kill, shumate;
....243 in .308...22 in 22Mag..17HMR in 22mag :smashfrea :Modified_ :1t

These scenerios are describing are a disaster WAITING to happen.!!!!
P L E A S E .... DO NOT DO THIS. All responding posts have given you VERY sound advice. You are not only subjecting YOURSELF to a potentially (and likely) FATAL incident, but you are risking injury and death to any and all who may be present when you are attempting these foolhearty stunts. NEVER :1t attempt to fire ANY cartridge in a rifle/pistol other than the SPECIFIC caliber for which it was designed. The folks here at RFC are among the most knowlegable folks you'll find anywhere and will not knowingly give you bad advice. PLEASE heed what they have said!

Have a good day,
RonSC

·
Registered
39 Posts
Jeez Louise

If you are still out there Shumate then I guess that question is sorted out.
Noticed you joined in Jan 2005 but this is your first post. Don't hesistate to post again. Because you asked the question who knows how many other people out there reading and not posting may have been running similar risks.

Serious question = serious responses.........nothing personal.

Best bet when reading these posts is to pretend everyone is a moron, self included, then wait until you get lots of replies and you probably can't go wrong.

Welcome to RFC :t

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.