Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am breaking in my new Marlin 917m2 (I think that's the model number) and have managed to get some consistency. There was some wind yesterday, but not too much.

I got about 2 1/2" groups with CCI and a little better with Hornady at 100 yards, clearly good enough for PA ground hogs and *****. At 50 yards, they were 3/4" groups.

Are these groups good? I think they are okay, but I want better at 100 yards. I'll recheck my mounts and try again in a few days. I think I'll pick up a brick of Hornady from Cabelas.com and a spotting scope too.

I did buy a brick of Remington subsonics for the 597, I like 'em, they're fun! :p

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have found that at 50 yards the .17M2 is a little wind sensitive. At 100 yards it is VERY wind sensitive. I guess the bullet has slowed down enough for the wind to effect it more.

With my CZ 452 Varmint and no wind, I can pretty cosistently get 5 shots into less than an inch and some will be less than 3/4.

GHP

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I'm selling one right now, that shoots about like yours. The guy who's buying it, doesn't have the same accuracy expectations that I did. I told him, up front, what I thought about that particular rifle (not all that model, just THAT one), and I'm going to sell it at about half what I paid for it, cuz he's a friend and it's for his son, anyway. All in all, the HM2 has been a serious disappointment to me, though I may try it again, if he buys it, the money will go to a GM barrel for my 77/22.

·
Registered
8,814 Posts
My CZ 452 American never ceases to amaze me. I took it out this afternoon and shot two groups, five shots each at 50 yards. First group starting with a cold barrel was 1/2'', and the second group was 1/4''. This rifle will regularly shoot 5/8'' to 3/4'' groups at 100 yards. I've found the .17 M2 to be WAY WAY less wind sensitive than any .22 long rifle ammo I've ever shot. A breeze that moves CCI Mini Mags over 2'' at 50 yards in my other rifles barely affects the little V-max bullets. This caliber makes me, a crappy mediocre shooter, look good. With a professional grade benchrest and a high power target scope, I think it would shoot sub half inch at 100 yards. It's the most accurate rifle I've ever owned in my life. :t

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
finally a half inch group at 100 yards

Sure it was only a three shot group but I was happy, Hornady did 1/2" and CCI did 3/4" today. My marlin mount system was loose and it was causing the problem. The Marlin 917m2 and 17mach2 are living up to expectations. :t

Need to try the Eley, Federal and Remington, but so far the Hornady has been my slight favorite over CCI. :Blasting_

·
36,633 Posts
If you are getting 1/2" groups CONSISTANTLY at 100 yards you need to love that little rifle like the beauty it is!! I have been getting consistant 1/2" groups (5 shots) at 50 with my "Space Gun" project. Many of the are 14" with a flyer out to 1/2". My rifle is only 4.5 lbs not counting the scope and it has a skinny 24" barrel and it is sort of like trying to shoot a buggy whip. It will shoot right at 1" at 100 and I'm happy with that from such a whippy rifle

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vincent said:
If you are getting 1/2" groups CONSISTANTLY at 100 yards you need to love that little rifle like the beauty it is!! I have been getting consistant 1/2" groups (5 shots) at 50 with my "Space Gun" project. Many of the are 14" with a flyer out to 1/2". My rifle is only 4.5 lbs not counting the scope and it has a skinny 24" barrel and it is sort of like trying to shoot a buggy whip. It will shoot right at 1" at 100 and I'm happy with that from such a whippy rifle
Who know? It was only a 3 shot group, but it is the best I have ever shot. I might try some Federal mach2 also. The Marlin seems well built and I'm happy with it for only $175, It's sort of my mach2 experiment.

Mid south has Federal and Hornady for $4.74/box, will probably order 20 boxes, otherwise the shipping on only a few box ruins the savings.

·
36,633 Posts
Watch your scope mounts. I have had mine come loose twice. I don't have monts actually I have 22 dovetail rings and no matter how tight I get them the scope wants to walk off the front of the gun. It seems strange in such a like recoil gun but the recoil is very quick and so far it is moving the scope.

·
Registered
21,547 Posts
yea, FWIW, guys,

the EABco kit, at 50 yds, with fed v-shok will put 10 rounds under a dime with two small fliers. at 100 yds, will print three touching, w/ 2 fliers that a quarter will barely cover. my savage 93r17 prefers the federal ammo at 50 and 100 on a NO wind day. rem shoots the worst, but still not too bad, will take a gophers head off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.