Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes a guy just ought to crawl into a hole and stay there.

I went out to Benchrest Club late morning to pick up the case of old Lapua Multi Match, from Ron, and maybe buy a new scope while I was there.

After a bit of discussion and mutual deliberation, Ron and I decided that I should buy a 24x Sightron. The bell was touching the barrel, so he sold me a used set of KDL (?) rings that he had used on a rifle of his, already lapped. They fit right on my Anschutz rail.

With the new scope and Lapua ammo loaded in the truck, I headed down to the range. Only to find out, while sighting it in, that there was some kind of hang up in the elevation travel. The dot would stop moving as I cranked it down, then maybe take an inch or so jump all on it's own. I ran back up to his shop and he told me that it happens sometimes with new scopes and to tap on it with the plastic handle of my screwdriver, as I ran the adjustment down.

Well, that sort of worked but I never could get it to break free and run down without a hitch. Ok, in the adjustment range that I need to shoot at 50 yards, it moves with every click, let's just go with that for now.

The winds today reminded me of a woman on her menstral cycle, they would spin my flag(s) and/or kick the tails out so suddenly that you could hardly get more than a few shots off before they went nuts. Or they refused to come back to the condition you started with. The worst part was that they would change so fast, that even with the rifle benched hard and aimed right at the dot, they would switch before you had a chance to squeeze off a shot. Just about the time you thought you had it figured out and put your eye to the scope, by the time you touched it off, you got caught big time in a severe switch. Well, so much for that group. :confused:

Right at the end of my session, I put the Burris back on it, just to check if it was the scope causing me the larger groups, the ammo or the wind. They were a bit smaller than with the Sightron, that is until the very last group, that one was stone ugly...at least the better part of an inch. I left the range in total confussion, no clue at all as to what the problem was but I felt it was driven more by the conditions than anything.

Since I now own this scope it has to go back to Sightron for repair. Which means that it is impossible to get turned around before next week's match.

Ugggggggg, what a day.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Steve, I've got a Weaver 36x that has the same problem. I guess that makes sense, since they're both made in Japan, I believe in the same factory. I've found ways to work around it, though. My windage is the one that hangs, so after adjusting for windage, I'll move up 8 and then back down 8. Moving the elevation seems to loosen up things so the reticle can go where the springs tell it to go. By the way, I've got a Sightron 36x that I've won quite a few matches with. Sightrons are good scopes generally, as are Weavers, but like all scopes, they ain't all perfect.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Swede,
Some days are better than others! I finally got to do a little shooting between rain storms. I was trying to test some ammo and the wind was squirrelly to say the least. It rained three times while I was trying to shoot--so I had to keep getting my gear up and running for the truck. I wa disappointed with the session. And, I'm not sure if it was the wind --or the ammo--or me. One good thing was my old Sako was shooting better after I cleaned the chamber last week--so I guess that's something. You'll do better next time I'm sure.:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.