Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a laminated stock from my uncle that was sanded down and then had 3-4 coats of tung oil applied. It was never wet sanded to my knowledge. It looks OK, but I was wondering if I should now wet sand it over/through the tung oil or just do more coats? It looks nice, but should I redo it?
Brian

·
Registered
630 Posts
The only reason you would need to wet sand the stock is to bring up wood fibers. If the stock feels smooth I would not worry about it. If you have little bumps and they are not air bumps, then you may need to resand. But if the oil has been added already I would think that just re-sanding with steel wool (0000) and then re-apply a new coat of oil..........

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yup.

What Coyote said. If you post a pic, we will give you more free armchair advice.

Wet sanding may not benefit the stock all that much. In my opinion, when you wet sand the laminated stock, you are filling the pores with a mixture of sawdust, sandpaper grit and the glue that holds the laminate together. If the tung oil finish is smooth and glossy as you want and there are no voids to fill, just lightly roughen the surface and apply a final coat of finish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.