Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, looking for info on a gun i just purchased. It's a western field model 13. heavy barrel, beavertail stock with adjustable aperture sights. Havent been able to find anything on the cross reference charts that I've seen so far and was wondering if anyone else may know something about ths rifle. The main reason i believe it to be a mossy manuf. is due to the way the word "safety" is stamped on . Looks just like the same tooling used on my 152 that was my fathers. The barrel lenght is 25", overall length is just over 45 1/2" and it has a steel butt plate. I can try to get a pic in a few days. Thanks in advance for any info. jcap

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks john, i wont be able to get the pics til mid next week due to my friend and his son taking it to the lexington ky bluegrass shoot this weekend. They needed an xtra rifle this weekend so i let him borrow it and try it out hope to hear the boy shoots right along with the rifle and they both due well. I did manage to get to shoot it at 25 off a bench with the sights, my eyes arent the best and i'm definetly rusty with iron, however I did manage to keep it under and inch with 3 of 5 shots making a nice clover.Sorry bout the wait on the pics.Thanks again,
jcap

·
Registered
230 Posts
jcap,

Can you describe the rifle? Is it bolt action or semi-auto? Tube mag or clip fed? Is the receiver grooved for a scope? Does it have a rear leaf sight and if so, what does it look like? What kind of front sight? I cannot find a Western Field model 13 in my cross reference, but that's not too uncommon a problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
POI , bolt action, magazine fed. front globe wich is able to accept different inserts. rear sight is a fully adjustable aperture/peep sight. also as it appears on the barrel "westernfield" is one word and it has a circled 7 where the barrel meets the receiver. I've not found any model 13's in the several cross reference lists ive seen either. The barrel is drilled and tapped and appears to have had a set of scope blocks/bases (unertl?) installed at one time or another.

Damguy, thanks for the links to the pics,however none matched :(

Wish i would've got pics before i lended it out this weekend. By the way, came across this gun in a shop, was traded in the day before. An older guy who owned the rifle was tired of carrying it squirrel hunting (geesh couldnt see why lol) and wanted a smaller/lighter rifle. I seen it and asked about it. The dealer asked me if i knew anything about the rifle that made me wary at first, I said no but looks like it had all the potential to be a shooter. I guess another guy came in twice checking it out trying to decide whether to buy it. Figured it wouldnt be there much longer or i'd never see one again so i bought it. I never thought it would have been this hard to find something out about it on the internet, kinda cool though.

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
crooked stamp maybe

65mustang said:
My list shows a M-14 and a M-10 but they are both Stevens-Savage. Maybe you are looking at the wrong guns??? Does list a M-17 and 18 by Mossberg, and a M-1 Moss.
:eek: ???? Could the 13 be maybe a 18 with the #8 stamped crooked...My search came up with the same as Stangs. look closer at the Number maybe the other half of the 8 is lightly hit. :D just a thought.--Jim--

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
That is a Savage 416. Sold by Sears as the Ranger. It has the original Savage rear peep on it and front site should be mounted with a dovetail. Serial numbers were not used on allot of guns, mostly .22, before the 1968 law.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all the help. I looked at some other 416's and yeah thats what it is. Very much appreciate the help in finding out more about this rifle. Takin the rifle back to the range tomorrow to run some more rounds thru it and have some fun.thanks again
jcap

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.