Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Robbob had talked nicely about the 597s in a Remington vs. Ruger thread, and since I had been considering one he urged me make a purchase.

Well, Saturday I went down to the local WallyWorld, fully intending to pick up a 597 (even checked and it had the metal mag/improved ejector), but then my eye picked up a Marlin .22mag and I enjoyed the way it felt and looked. I eyed it over and asked to see their catalog. In it I found the 81TS in .22lr. Reminded me of an old Remington tube-fed bolt action my grandfather owned. I was going to order on the spot, but have to wait till Tuesday between 8am and 4pm (can't make it Monday).

So, is it a good rifle worth picking up? Does it really feed shorts without choking? Accuracy? The price difference between it and 597 is a mere $7. Should I go ahead and place the order for the 81 or pick up a 597 instead? It's mainly going to be a fun/project rifle, already have a 10/22 on its way to being improved (sport a bolt buffer, VQ hammer, PC reciever mount, 30mm red dot). Any other suggestions or information you would like to throw my way? I'm looking to spend around $150.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Funny I should be mentioned. I actually wanted to get a Wal-Mart special, but they were out. So, I got an 882SS instead (I got the 597 cause they were out of the 10/22 the second time I went to get it). I've don't know anything about the 81TS, but, if it's anything like my 882, it's gonna make a mighty fine rifle. However, the accessories for Marlins are even less available than 597s.

Since you were looking at WMRs, might I suggest the regular 882 or 883? The 882 maybe what you had looked at. The 883 is about the same, but it's tube fed. They should cost around $165 or less. Either way, I think you'll love either model (LR or WMR).

Just keep the 597 in mind if you ever want a semi-auto plinker/squirrel gun.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The Marlin 83TS 22 mag would be the tube fed bolt actrion rifle most similar to the 81TS 22lr tube bolt action. Both with the black stocks. I thought of buying one and then ordering the lamianted stock from Marlin. There are triggers available for the Marlin now. I have seen the 81TS 22lr priced at $139 at Galyan's. The new versions I looked at had two bedding screws. The 83TS 22 mag was $169.

The 81TS should feed the shorts. But if anything like my 39AS Marlin the accuracy will be marginal. But all rifles are different!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, got to thinking Monday, decided that a week or more was too long to wait, had an itch that needed to be scratched. So, I went ahead and picked up the 597.

Besides, since there aren't many people with .22lr versions out there, maybe I can customize it and make mine unique, unlike anything I could ever do to my 10/22.

Robbob, got any tips for this baby? It came with the improved ejector and metal mag.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.