Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my buddy and I purchased us one of the Anschutz 1517 D Classis Rifles. We could not locate the HB model at our distributor. The 1517 D Classic is exactily like the HB except the barrel is .050 smaller. I spent all day yesterday gathering up ammo for us to shoot this weekend! I managed to get all three brands of .17 to try. I ordered a Leupold 12X40 AO scope which should be here tomorrow! Now for the last couple of years I have been punching paper with .308 and .223 rifles. I am very interested to see how the .17 does. We really needed a .17 like a hole in the head but it looked like something fun to try. I will keep you posted on the group size from this coming weekend.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bob, Sizes for the 1500 series(.70 & .75) are right out of the Anschutz catalog. Tried to copy text but pdf file wouldn't let me. The 1700 series HB is .83 according to catalog.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Now I'm really confused Spirit. What have I got here?
Rifle is marked Model 1517.

The box says:
1517 MP R Buche-Multi Purpose oS
Mehrlader Beavertail ohne Schiene
KK-Matchgewenr Kal 17 Hornady
Match-Repeater, without swivel rail

I'm no expert with precision measuring devices, but I checked the Zero on my Starrett Micrometer Caliper, and then re-miked my barrel:
It measures .892 inches for most of it's 25.5 inch length. (At least that is the smallest I could adjust the caliper and still get it over the barrel. I measured a round barrel with a flat-faced caliper)
It swells to .947 in the last few inches, which are apparently grooved for a front sight.
Not .70 or .75 or even .83
Thanks,

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bob, The catalog lists the 1517 MP R Multi Purpose as having a .89 barrel. It also has the beavertail stock and weights 9 lbs. It also has the two stage trigger where the standard 1517 D's have a single stage trigger.

http://www.anschutz-sporters.com/jga.php?topicID=104&articleID=217

Click on 'Olympic Class Sporters USA' to download the Anschutz pdf catalog. It has all the pictures, specs, accessories and prices.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: My order arrived today with the scope and cleaning rod. The cleaning rod had fallen out of the tube so I called Midway and they are replacing it. The scope I odered was a Leupold M8 12X40 AO. I was about to mount the scope when I found out it had friction elevation and windage adjustments! No way!! It's going back! I borrowed a Weaver V16 and mounted it on Millett .22 adjustable windage rings. Had to grind off one of the Millett claws to make sure it cleared the bolt when ejecting a spent hull. A little touch up blue on the spot and you can't tell it from factory. Managed to shoot a couple of rounds at 25 yards to ensure I was on the paper after boresighting. Cleaned the bore again and I will shoot some paper this weekend during the breakin process! Glad my friend managed to get a .17 cleaning rod.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Spirit said:
Bob, The catalog lists the 1517 MP R Multi Purpose as having a .89 barrel. It also has the beavertail stock and weights 9 lbs. It also has the two stage trigger where the standard 1517 D's have a single stage trigger.
Thank Spirit, I guess that's what I have then...description sounds right, and the trigger was 2 stage, till I adjusted it almost out of existence.
I appreciate your setting me straight on this.
Best,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.