Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Surprised that you got the gun back. Usually its kept as evidence until after the trial .
Me Too!

This stealing spree even made the local paper and they show a table full of rifles, (you can see my Henry...it made the paper!) with backpacks in the background of the property recovered during the search warrant. Evidently, as long as the serial number was entered into the NCIC database and they had a full description with photos, along with the fact it was not used in a crime, there is no reason to keep it. I also received a subpoena yesterday for a court appearance for the defendant. Its next week on Thursday morning. Will keep everyone in the loop.

Photo credit: The Journal Newspaper in Charles Town WV

Registered
18 years old, what a waste. Not much younger than my yougest. Sad.

I'm glad you got your rifle back! I hope you're able to get over the feeling associated with being violated in such manner, I still remember having a new ladder taken from our front yard decades ago...

Registered
I also received a subpoena yesterday for a court appearance for the defendant. Its next week on Thursday morning. Will keep everyone in the loop.
Wait....what? You recieved a subpoena for a court appearance "for the defendant" ? Why would the defendant subpoena you?
Does his lawyer think that you'll be a witness in his favor?

Roger

Registered
Wait....what? You recieved a subpoena for a court appearance "for the defendant" ? Why would the defendant subpoena you?

Roger
It's all your fault for leaving the car unlocked and tempting the thief to break in..
LOL

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Premium Member
I had a like new Colt 1911 A1 Series 70 stolen out of my vehicle. They broke out the window of my vehicle to get it.

After 7 years I contacted my local PD to make sure it was still in the system.

It was at this point that I was notified by my local PD that an out of state PD had recovered it 6-1/2 years earlier, entered it into the system, but never notified the reporting agency that they recovered it. I told my local PD Officer that the out of state PD was using this stolen property. He was offended that I felt this way. In fact, my local PD, who is awesome, was told that the recovery agency was about to destroy it.

Within a short time I had it back. Funny how the right grip panel was wore down from what appears to be seat belt wear. Homie must have carried it in an exposed right hand holster for 12-24 hours a day for the 6 months it was out there.

To the OP, I鈥檓 glad you got your rifle back. It pays to keep records.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

Roger
No, it came from the prosecuting attorney's office. Their case is based on the fact that the defendant entered a HOUSE, which in WV is a more serious crime than just breaking into a car. My gun, (because of my records and having a photo of the gun with all of its "bling" (scope, butt pad, fiber optic sights,etc) made it easy to identify. That was how he was caught. The officer recognized my Gun from a photo taken by a game camera when he was hunting with it on posted land!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts