Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Well,it is a beautiful gun,and the finish is ORIGINAL. Is it worth that kind of money? I think he will be sitting on that gun for some time. Everytime I go to GA,it seems like I find a lot of items that are priced way beyond the current market price. I suspect that some of these guys just throw out an item with a overblown price,just to see if somebody bites. As I never sell anything,I cant speak for the strategy.This stuff is only worth what someone is willing to pay.Keep an eye on it.I think there is a good chance this will be re-listed at some point,with a "REDUCED" price. Brian.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
interesting prices.....

one thing I try not to do is bash a high pricer as some forum posters do. I price my things optimistically, too. I've sold too many things for less than what they were commonly worth when I did not take the time to RESEARCH the value of same product.
More power to this seller! Yup,,about $150 or more overpriced,,,but we see MANY times articles of 98%+ condition get bought! 98% plus condition puts many rifles into the realm of " I'll pay it to get it" buyers. If they have the money,,,more power to them! There are LOTS of those buyers out there.
Alan in GA.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brian,,,

My "I don't bash sellers" post has nothing to do with your post. Just talking in general of how some go off the deep end about sellers.
If your post could be translated as 'bashing',,then mine would qualify too!
thanks,
Alan in GA.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hi ALANINGA. Believe me,there is no offense taken at your post. People sell things for various reasons,and everyone can ask whatever they want for their item. There are certain facts in the firearms game. A gun is worth what someone is willing to pay for a particular model. Rareity, condition,and desireability dictate prices. These are the primary circumstances considered in a firearms purchase. Generally,what happens with private party sellers is,they go to a book of values,such as THE "BLUEBOOK of GUN VALUES" or the "STANDARD CATALOG of FIREARMS",and evaluate their gun. Then they figure what their gun should sell for. Also,they see what prices have been paid at auctions,like Sothbys,or some of the big auction houses. In my opinion,and I stress that this is MY opinion,none of these reflect the true market value of a firearm. They are only just a guide. For instance,a DEALER has to mark up a gun to a higher degree than a private party. Why? HE IS IN BUSINESS. He has expenses that have to be covered that a private seller hasen't got. Licenses,electricity,staffing,rent,etc. The "GUN BOOKS" derive their pricing from a VARIETY of sources. High end auctions,dealer sales,word of mouth,etc. Mostly "RETAIL" sales. None of which truely reflects the THOUSANDS of "LITTLE GUY SALES",such as you and I do every year. For us,its the "LITTLE GUY SALES" that truely reflect the market we are in. I would love to be able to pay "RETAIL" for my guns,but the fact is,I cant afford to do so. So, I ,like the majority of posters here,look for "DEALS",or at least something we can afford. Anyway,I am not trying to be the guy who knows it all here. I am just trying to pass on knowledge that I have gained from many years in the collecting field. Bottom line here is, A gun is only going to sell for what someone wants to pay for it. Of course there are exceptions,but in reality,thats where its at. Somebody always prices lower than a "PERCIEVED" value,and someone else will always be higher. YA SPENDS YOUR MONEY,AND YA MAKES YER CHOICE. S#$T. I got off on a rant again.Sorry guys. Brian.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Condition of gun is exceptional. It is a later model which really lights my fire. The issue is it is just a stamped steel rear peep. If it had the Lyman 57EW I would be more inclined to buy it. It is only a mid range level gun in my opinion.

·
Registered
750 Posts
This is probably a question that has been debated before, but here goes. I agree the price for a 69a w/a model 80 rear is high, but look at some of the junk out there. I have no idea of the front sight, but noticed that the barrel is not "slotted" I have been told that all kinds of site combinations could be had. I have seen Blade fronts, hooded, and the standard front...what have you guys seen, and what do you consider "factory" 57ew w/hooded ramp...or Blade, or front standard? Model 80 with any of the above?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hi Kevin. One of the reasons the M69 is rapidly growing in popularity is its affordability,and a rather large amount of variations available. We have seen this more and more in this forum,as questions get asked,and information is posted. Some of these guys have several M69,s and side by side comparisons can be made. That said,its unfortunate that these have not been researched,and the results published. I believe that will change. At some point,a credible researcher,such as SCHWING or HOUZE will commit to doing an in depth study of the M69, and publish their findings. I will be the first in line for a copy when it becomes available. What we do know is that there were many sight combinations available from the factory for this gun.Winchester sights,Lyman sights,and even a REDFIELD front sight was available. All of these could be considered factory. My reference for the sight info is a book called "OLD GUNSIGHTS" a collectors guide,1850-1965. This is by a guy named Nick Stroebel. Its a good book to have around if you like old guns. Anyway,he lists as "STANDARD" the Winchester No 97A front ramp sight,and a No 96B Winchester rear peep sight.Also,a Winchester No 32B rear sight,and a Winchester No 75C front sight,that was 0.330 in height.All the rest are listed as optional. O.K. Coffee time. Hope this answered your question. Brian.

·
Registered
818 Posts
My 69A Match came direct from the Winchester Custom Shop and has a factory installed German match trigger. The front sight is a Lyman 17A and the rear is the famous Lyman 57EW. It has what could be called a semi heavy barrel but not a true bull barrel. Winchester made several of this variation for Boy Scout shooting programs in Conneticut in the late 1950's. I believe it was made as a economical alternative to the 75T to fit the Boy Scouts limited budget and may well have been a loss-leader for Winchester to promote the future of shooting sports. If Maddis , Schwing or another authority tries to write a book about the variations of this gun he will need plenty of footnotes and not be too dogmatic in his conclusions. H.G.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hi HG. Any chance we could see a pic of your gun? I was wondering how you know that much history about that particular gun. The winchester custom shop stuff and all. Did you get it from the original owner? Fascinating stuff. I am especially interested in the diference between your trigger,and say,a standard target model trigger. Pass on the info,please. By the way,I believe Madis passed away some time ago. Too bad. Hopefully,someone will pick up the slack.Thanks for telling us about your gun. Very cool. Brian.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Thanks for the info, and I have the Old gunsites, and old scope books, bought them brand new at the Concord NH show in April for $10.00 dollars each. Great books, I really like the way they are set up...by sights and then by firearms manufacturer. I agree that the model 80 rear is no comparison to the Lyman 57EW, just a good excuse to have another varient of the 69s. I am close to picking up a 69a with a grooved receiver...my eyes arn't getting any younger, and it should look great with either an old Weaver, or the Mossberg 4x. The old scopes...not the old, old originals, still aged, may not be as bright because of the straight tubes, but they function great and look sharp. I really caught the Win .22 bug bad, and just started a few months back.......I hope to add a model 47, a 60 ,or 60a, and the 69a soon. Not to mention an upcoming auction that has a bunch of Winchesters.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I got it from a NRA instructor from a Conneticut program who is long gone. His sons had other interests and he knew I would always keep it perfect condition. The trigger looks like a Timmney modular type you see for sale for the Model 70 and 700 centerfire rifles. It has some German name printed on it. My nephew has had it for years and I have no children so the gun is really his. He is big on keeping Uncle Franks gun in perfect condition so I would never ask for it back. As for photos, I have no digital camera and no desire to buy one. My computer is used , the monitor came from the trash. I am not a high income person so my disposable cash goes directly into my hobbies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.