Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Stevens 416 out for the first time today and I gotta say. It has potential. After sighting it in I shot a 228-2X at 25yds with Wolf MT. Considering the fact thats the only ammo I've tried and the 8X scope and the fact that my right arm was gettin' tired from running that pesky bolt in and out. Not too shabby!

I'm going to check into having the scope power bumped up to at least 12X and bed the action. Then I think the score will get a little better.

I've gotta say that those old target rifles are fun to shoot. And they attract a lot of attention(oohs and ahhs) from the other shooters.

JL

·
Registered
848 Posts
JL,
Hope it shoots 250s and many Xs for you.I like the old rifles myself.Sounds like it has potential.:t
Mike C.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Grin. We have already assimilated Kid10/22, errrrrrrr KidBolt. Pinball is under the spell. And now JL, clik clak stalwart is cracking.

How sweet it is. :) GG

p.s. Now watch them go into denial mode ("the 10/22 is my first love", etc) :D

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
JL
Get that Stevens shooting, I may have a 7 1/2 lb Sako by May, that might give it some competition. I should know this week. If it shoots OK, I plan to get it. At least the action and trigger are Sako, nuff said.
Later--- In May
Jim (graybeard)
:D

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gordy,
Now don't get all excited, I still prefer an automatic over a stick-shift. Bolt guns are kinda fun for a change of pace. But when I want to get serious. Well........you know!
I only had time to shoot a half a target yesterday with my 10/22 before a dust devil came across the range and broke half the target stands and took off with my target. But there were 8X's in a row.....If you see it blowing past, grab it for me, will ya?

Stan,
I woulda posted some pics a long time ago if I could figure out how. I've got a copy of "Computers for Dumbies" But I ran out of toilet paper before I could finish it.

Jim,
I'm working on the trigger on the Stevens. Polished up the sear and trigger and installed a lighter return spring...WOW! I thought it was pretty good before (about 2lbs) but now its way under a pound. Breaks clean with no creep or overtravel.
I'm refinishing the stock and getting ready to bed the action and first little bit of the barrel. I should have it ready in plenty of time before you get here. Looking forward to it!

JL

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
TT
I hope the gun is a shooter. I looked at last week and don't remember the barrel maker for sure, Shilen, I think. Turner stock. The barrel was turned down so that it could be shot in the sporter class of 50/50---so the gun would weigh less than 7 1/2 pounds, with a scope.
I plan to take a trip this week up to where it is and do some test shooting before I lay out the cash.The man that put it all togather is pretty well known among Texas benchrest shooters, but he doesn't like computers so is not a common name to the internet.
graybeard

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
graybeard,

Good luck with that sporter. I hope it works for you. I plan to pick mine up on Fri.pm or Sat.am. Will shoot it on Sunday am in an IR50/50 three gun match. Nothing like learning a new gun during a match.:) Will be shooting two unlimited matches on Sat. with the Suhl. If it works out, I may be able to sight in after the matches. If not, before Sunday's match will have to do.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Jim, tell Billy I said Hi. Why don't you meet him at the Grand Prairie match next weekend and shoot the gun there. There will be an 4 card ARA match in the am and an unlimited 50/50 match in the pm.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Well I lied--it has a Lilja barrel, not a Shilen. Pick it up Wed.
TT
good luck on the new gun--cutting your timing a little close it sounds like to me. Get it one day and plan to shoot it in a match the next day. My hats off to ya. you got'em.
Froghair
Claybuster is bringing Billy one of his 64s to be bedded, on the trip up to Gatesville when I plan to pick up the new to me sporter. plan to go tomorrow. I shot the Unlimited shoot at Gatesville and a few of the ARA people were there--good looking guns and shooting equipment. I am trying to put togather the 3 guns needed to shoot a 50/50 shoot. Think I will pass on Grand Prairie match---just too many irons in the fire at the moment.
later
graybeard
:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.