Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 18" blued unfluted and thinkng about getting a blued fluted. i know the actual weight difference of the two but when hunting does the fluted make a differnce enough to count for a hunter??? would a 16.5" fluted blued make a big difference compared to 18" blued unfluted (again for hunting)??? thanks!!!
-mwm

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Every ounce counts

Your loosing 2 inches of steel and the flutes will help a little bit more. The shorter length is easier to tote in the woods than the longer barrels IMO. I like shorter because of the thick woods.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
mwm0816 said:
i have a 18" blued unfluted and thinkng about getting a blued fluted. i know the actual weight difference of the two but when hunting does the fluted make a differnce enough to count for a hunter??? would a 16.5" fluted blued make a big difference compared to 18" blued unfluted (again for hunting)??? thanks!!!
-mwm
On average a fluted barrel is about 6 ounces lighter than its bull barrel counterpart. I have a chart somewhere with GM barrel weights. The 16.5" fluted is about the same weight as a factory carbine barrel 1 pound 14 ounces. For a hunting rifle I would go with a 16.5 fluted due to the shorter length makes it easier to tote around in the woods, its as light as the carbine barrel and is made from one chunk of steel not a sleeve (aluminum or carbon fiber etc) with a steel liner (I just prefer a solid one piece barrel) and finally because 16"s is where the 22lr makes the highest velocity on average.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
686 Posts
You might want to check out Clark Custom guns mid weight barrel.

BARREL WEIGHT COMPARISON CHART from Clark
Barrel Length .720" Midweight, .920" Bull, .920 Fluted
21.50" 40 ounces 60 ounces 46 ounces
18.50" 33 ounces 51 ounces 39 ounces
16.25" 29 ounces 44 ounces 33 ounces

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.