Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has tried weighing .22 L.R. ammunition as a means of sorting it. I've tried measuring the rims of the cases with one of the various devices available with mixed results. I was wondering if weighing them would be a more accurate way of doing it. I have a couple of lots of cheaper ammuntion that appears to shoot overall quite well, but you still get the occasional flyers in either 5 or 10 shot groups. Since I have a large quantity of this ammuniton with the same lot number I thought this might be a way to group them so they would remain more consistent. I thought of using a digital reloading scale to speed things up and try to keep them hopefully between 2-4 seperate groups. Anyone have experience trying this and what sort of results do you feel you achieved overall. Also what brands and types of ammuniton did you use.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Yes it has been done by many. Do a search of this form for my posts, as well as those by Shortie and MKnarr. Here is a preliminary version of my first testing. It has a couple of errors in it, which were fixed later on. The Lapua Super Club should have been up higher in results, right around the Eley Target Rifle. It also should not be highlighted in green. The green highlight indicates that the value of sorting by weight had a confidence of 95% or better. The yellow highlight showed a high confidence that unsorted was better than sorted! I think the short story is that it has a quite minor effect, and works best on poor quality ammo to start with.

Ron

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.