Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Remy Nylon 66 today that came topped with a Weaver 3-6x15 (may be 3-6x20) with the marking "Weaver V-22A USA" on it. It's a straight tube scope on the objective end. Looks like steel tube with plastic ocular power adjustment ring.
Anyone have any info on this? I'm assuming it's from the late '60s, early '70s as the rifle was made in 1967. While it doesn't have nearly as big a view as my other scopes (smallest scope I have is a 4x28) it is still pretty clear and bright for a 40+ year scope.
Anyway... any of you familiar with this scope? Is it a good Weaver?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found this info in an article on-line - guess the scope could be more recent than I thought, anyone have any other info/opinions of this scope?

(author was talking about scoping a Romanian trainer 22 which he wanted a trim, straight tube scope for)

"By coincidence, a few months after acquiring the 1969, I happened to stop at a garage sale. I saw a long, slender riflescope with rings lying on a table. I figured it was a inexpensive ".22 scope", the type of scope with plastic lenses and casual adjustments. I picked it up and looked through it at a distant house. Wow, nice clear optics, no fuzzy hallo! It was at its lowest power, 3. I cranked it to the top, 6 power. Everything still was clear and bright. Only then did I check its pedigree. Weaver! A V22-A. I snapped it right up.

The Weaver V22-A is a US made scope that was produced in the old El Paso facility. The last year the V-22A was available as a new item was about 1986. The V22-A is a 7/8-diameter tube scope, 12.5 inches long. An1/8 inch narrower then most scopes, the V22-A maintains the trim lines on the 1969. 1/8 inch doesn't sound like much, but it makes all the difference on a slender rifle like the 1969. With quality optics the V22-A is a premium scope. Remember, the V22-A was a 7/8-tube scope. Weaver supplied it with 7/8 diameter rings at the factory. A Weaver V22-A just "looks right" on a 1969 Romanian.

Quick checks of several gun shops, gun shows and listings on ebay, http://www.ebay.com reveal V-22A's are readily available at bargain prices. Clean V-22A's sell for $25.00 to $35.00. Often, they can be had for much less! The one I acquired at the yard sale cost me $5.00. I found a second one in a gun shop for $10.00. It seems scopes of less then one-inch diameter aren't considered high demand items these days. They don't command high prices. There's no new scope in the $35.00 price range that could come anywhere near the optical quality and adjustment repeatability of the V22-A."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.