Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody heard about a weatherby mark XX11 semi-auto .22 There's one for sale used around here foe 279.00 don't know anything about it. Would it be a good gun. Is the price reasonable

Thanks
Rick:)

· Registered
650 Posts
I never owned one myself but a couple of friends of mine had them in the late seventies. They were typical Weatherby so far as looks, very nice finish. They shot real good with their open sights but when they were scoped they shot all over the place. They used pinned barrels and did not have a good tight fit resulting in movement of the barrel with each shot and huge groups. With the open sights which are mounted on the barrel they showed that they had potential but some kind of fix is needed for the pinned barrel slop if a scope is going to be used. My friends traded them in for Remington 541S bolt rifles that they still have.

· Registered
364 Posts
I had one in the seventies, and my experience echos airdale's. I grew up shooting my Dad's Win. 63, so I thought I needed a high quality 22 semiauto. I figured if it had Weatherby's name it had to be good. There were shots I knew I could make with the Win. 63 that I couldn't make with the Weatherby. I sold it.

Today I shoot a Thompson Center 22 Classic, and I like it a lot. They can be had in the $279 range, new gun. It's the best deal out there on a top quality semiauto, IMHO.

If you are not definite on a semiauto, the CZ 452 bolt action guys seem happy with their guns, in the $200 - 300 range.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info I think I'll let this one pass. It sure looked nice but if it doesn't shoot I don't want it. has weatherby come out with a fix for this rifle just wondering.

Thanks again

Rick

· Registered
650 Posts
I am not sure but it seems those guns were made in different places, so there might be some differences in the guns, I think the first run was made in Italy, then some were made in Japan and I think a small number were made in the USA. I would think a good gunsmith could get the barrels locked down tight. A USA model should be worth a good buck.

· Registered
1,339 Posts
I owned a tube -fed version back in the late 80s that was Japanese production. The tube itself was very loose and rattled around. As I recall the entire action - barrel and receiver both - was held in place by a single pin which resulted in excessive action play in the stock. Then there was the creepy trigger. The wood on it was very nice , but the rest of the rifle was nothing to get excited about. I ended up selling it and buying one of the "then new" Ruger GP100s.

To top things off - I also ordered a Weatherby 22 scope for the rifle and it was the first scope I ever owned where the reticle broke!

· Registered
16,533 Posts
Chief says : Its a shame that the Weatherby xxii didnt
shoot and function as good as it looked . It certainly would
have been a top seller .
Everyone that I have owned , had severe feeding and extracting
problems. There was not much one could do to rededy that , due
to the design of the action.

CD $279 CHEAP ENOUGH - I would buy.

· Registered
317 Posts
! have a weatherbyXX11, and its a tack driver.I am very pleased with the accuracy of this rifle.I have a clip fed model with a Browning 4X scope and I am pleased with the accuracy of this rifle.The trigger needs to be adjusted as its creepy.The weight of the trigger isn't all that bad.This rifle was manufactured in Italy.The year it was made I don't know,but I have owned it as long as the 1968 Ibought it new from Weatherby's when their shop was in the L.A. area.I paid $120 for it.

· Registered
4 Posts
My favorite shooter is my Beretta built Italian XXII with matching scope. I bought it used a few years ago and just love it! No problems whatsoever. Excellent trigger, repeatable accuracy and superbe balance. (Sheesh! There goes any hope of my credibility in this crowd!)

· Registered
249 Posts
I found one in a pawnshop today tagged at $550

It's pretty darn clean, with the orginal matching scope installed. Oh, it's an Italian, with the 'clip' mag feed. My curiousity warranted a net search, and here I am.

I'm really astounded to see posts from opposite ends regarding performance! The finish and beauty of the rifle does beguile you. Yet, respected Chief Dave describes them as headaches.

Is that price worth taking the risk in resale if it doesn't perform?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.