Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What sort of accuracy are the Weatherby shooters getting? I am about ready to give up on mine. For the money I paid I feel that I should be getting better accuracy. My Savage shoots as good or better than my Weatherby. I am thinking about trading it for a 64 mpr. :(

·
Premium Member
58,022 Posts
I only know of one Weatherby owner who is disappointed in his accuracy, all others seem very pleased, the heart of the rifle is pure Anschutz.

Gerald

·
Registered
676 Posts
What ammo are you shooting through that Weatherby? I have shot from cheap ammo to premium ammo with good success. All I had to do was sight the scope in to the ammo I was shooting. Have you tryed quality ammo? If you have a barrel problem or maybe the trigger need adjusted I would contact a authorized Weatherby repair shop.

·
Registered
18,147 Posts
I shot SK SSHP's, SK Match and CCI Mini Mags, and they all shot extremely well. The SK's shot the best of those I tried and would shoot under 1/4" at 50 yards. I never shoot bulk ammo in a $700 rifle. Defeats the purpose of buying a quality rifle for accuracy and shoot junk ammo through it. I have said many time, I will take those that won't shoot from anyone who wants to throw them my way. I know they will shoot. I have yet to see any Anschutz rifle that was not capable of 1/4" 50 yard groups.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
What sort of accuracy are the Weatherby shooters getting? I am about ready to give up on mine. For the money I paid I feel that I should be getting better accuracy. My Savage shoots as good or better than my Weatherby. I am thinking about trading it for a 64 mpr. :(
I have a friend who recently got the Weatherby, after a very disappointing affair with a Remington 597 (3"+ groups). He has not given it a lot of good ammo, but on Winchester Dynapoints it shoots fairly tight groups but with wild flyers. I watched him shoot about a 0.200" four shot group with the Dynapoints, and blow it with a fifth shot over 0.5" off the group. I gave him some Lapua Master to try, but the results were not great at all. No flyers, but not a tight group. From what I've seen, I feel very comfortable I could outshoot it with my Savage BTVS. I'm not so sure that says the Weatherby is a bad gun, but it does compliment the Savage.

Is the Weatherby not really the sporter version of the Anschutz with a skinny 24" barrel? I suspect a skinny long barrel may more than offset the quality action? Also I wonder if the sporter version has a match dimensioned chamber?

Ron

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 1416 that I bought years ago... (same gun as your Weatherby) and for a long time had mediocre accuracy from it. Nothing seemed to get where I wanted to be... Figured "If it doesn't like this configuration, maybe something else..." Bedded to almost the end of the forearm. Left enough to where it looked like it was still floated. MUCH better. Dunno if the skinny action and pinned bbl were in conflict or what, but it got well all of a sudden. Later, with the coming of better ammo it has become a sub-moa rifle at the ram distance. (That would be 100m to those who don't abuse the steel barnyard animals. ) Oldest urchin shot into AAA class with the little gun. I'm keeping it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Rifleman, while most people that post about their Weatherby's are pleased with the accuracy of their guns, there are a very few on here that are not as happy with their's. I am in the second group. While mine doesn't shoot terrible, it is not the proverbial tack driver that most of the Anschutz's seem to be. I have not given up on mine, yet, but am getting close. I haven't messed with it lately. I still have a few brands of ammo that I haven't tried. After I do some more testing and tweaking, if it don't shoot any better, it will be gone.

·
Registered
18,147 Posts
Is the Weatherby not really the sporter version of the Anschutz with a skinny 24" barrel? I suspect a skinny long barrel may more than offset the quality action? Also I wonder if the sporter version has a match dimensioned chamber?

Ron
Ron, The Weatherby is a 1416D with a 24" non-sighted barrel, and a Fancier S&K made stock. The chamber is a match chamber. It would mark the first two driving bands on the SK ammo I tried. The barrel length may have a little to do with it. Mine came with a raised band in the barrel channel about an inch or so back from the end. I was going to fully float it since all of my Anschutz rifles are floated, but decided to shoot it first. It shot lights out right out of the box. I see many mention on here that theirs are floated. That may be the differnce. Maybe if they use to 10/22 barrel channel pad mod. it may help improve accuracy. I have had better luck with fully floated barrels, but that Weatherby shot awsome and was not fully floated. Something to play with for those who are still having trouble.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Many years ago I spent a good part of my net worth on an Anschutz 1410 or 1413 free rifle. It would shoot one-hole groups as long as I didn't grip it. Reaching into the trigger guard and tripping the 4 oz trigger worked fine, but as soon as I held the thumbhole grip, even while still on the rest, the groups would open up. I was quite disappointed and sold the rifle and 20X SuperTargetspot for a song. Had I kept it, I might now be able to determine why. There's probably an explanation for the Weatherby's performance, but the journey of understanding may be long, convoluted and frustrating. In time you will likely welcome such a challenge. Only you can determine whether that time has come.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Guys, you've heard from me before on this issue. Mine is not a grossly inaccurate gun. It's just not as accurate as a $800.00 gun should be. I'm pretty sure it's a bedding issue. With RWS ammo it is good enough to be competitive on the silhouette range. I'm beginning to wonder if Weatherbys stock supplier is responsible for the guns inaccuracy compared to the ones stocked by Anschutz.
An experienced shooter over on 24hourcampfire just sent his back to Weatherby for accuracy and ejection issues, and I've heard similar reports on some other gun boards.

Ron

·
Registered
18,147 Posts
Guys, you've heard from me before on this issue. Mine is not a grossly inaccurate gun. It's just not as accurate as a $800.00 gun should be. I'm pretty sure it's a bedding issue. With RWS ammo it is good enough to be competetive on the silhouette range. I'm beginning to wonder if Weatherbys stock supplier is responsible for the guns inaccuracy compared to the ones stocked by Anschutz.
An experienced shooter over on 24hourcampfire just sent his back to Weatherby for accuracy and ejection issues, and I've heard similar reports on some other gun boards.

Ron
I think they had two batches of stocks. Mine had a pressure point in the barrel channel, while others do not. The ejection issue is just a 64 action thing. Every 64 actioned Anschutz that I have owned over the past 30 yeasr have all done it. The trick is finding the timing of the bolt pull back speed. Once you find the right speed for pull the bolt back, those ejection problems will go away.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Well fella's I'm in the same boat here with my Weatherby, is certainly not the worst .22 rifle I have ever owned, but like Ron said, for an $800.00 rifle, it's not living up to it's worth.
Don't know how many of you guys frequent the SuperStock Bolt forum here at RFC, but there's a shooting game called the Sawdust Challenge that requires 4 - 5 shot groups shot at 25 yards, with all 4 groups measuring in at .250" or less to qualify. My Weatherby should be able to do this without even trying hard, yet with SK Std.+, RWS Target Rifle, a couple of different types of Eley, Federal Gold Metal 711B, and this rifle has yet to produce a winning target for this challenge.
To make things worse, I recently purchased a CZ Trainer for $329.00, and it's out shooting the Weatherby, this should not be the case, it should be the other way around.
I play in a lot of the games at the SuperStock forum, and I watch as the CZ's, Savage's, Marlin's, Ruger's, and a few other brands do things I can't get this high priced rifle to do, it's very frustrating, and dissapointing to say the least.

I'm not ready to give up yet, and I have a few more tricks to try before I do, but if this thing doesn't come around in a reasonable amount of time and effort, it's going away and making room for a less expensive CZ that can shoot 1/4" groups at 25 yards......:mad:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm wishing now that I'd paid better attention to how many rounds have been shot through my XXII as it seems to be shooting better as time and round count goes up.
The other element is the clean / dirty bore equation. For a while I couldn't bring myself to put the rifle away with a dirty bore. Having to spent several fouling shots to attain consistency got old though and I finally gave in to the advise of my betters. This helped close my groups more than any one thing. If the rifle is going to be put up for several days I run one dry patch through the bore as a compromise to my cleaning compulsion.
There may be more accurate rifles out there but my Weatherby is able to do as well or better than the target that came with it when I do my job.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well fellows, if all else fails, read the instruction book. After reading all your comments, I went back to the manual. It states to tighten the front bolt first and then the rear bolt. I can't say for sure it that was the problem but it sure helped. I went to my back yard 40 yard range this morning and got these results.
These are 5 round groups and there average:
Blazer 5 groups average .541 Aguila extra 5 groups average .625 CCI standard 4 groups average .473 RWS Match 4 groups .587 aveage SK Match 3 groups .346 average. The SK Match groups measured .186, .362, and .492. The last group had a flier that opened it up from .200.
I was using a bipod instead of my usual sand bag which might make a difference. I was just about to trade it off, now I have proven that it is a keeper and it will shoot. Ammunition makes a big difference as you can see. I still wish that it had a heavy barrel. I have my trigger down to 1 pound. Now I want to try it at 100 yards but I need more ammo. Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well, I have just bought a Weatherby Mark II that is in route to my ffl sometime next week ($684 shipped). I am new to the rimfire bolts (this is my first). Also never had a rifle with a scope on it. All I have is a Korean made Bushnell 3-9x40 that I picked up used at a gun show for $40. It is remarkably clear and will have to do for now.

I may double post this in the optics section, but what kind of mount/rings do you guys use to scope these rifles. I have noticed the holes drilled and plugged with screws in the receiver but have noticed bases for sale on this board for other bolt rifles. Should I use the holes or get a base? The top of the receiver is curved and I am not sure that makes a difference to the method of mounting, so help out a newbie here and let me know what works for you guys with the confirmed accurate shooting XXIIs out there.

Great forum by the way. Thanks.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hi Rockbuster, welcome to the forum!
I bought Weaver style bases for my Weatherby. I don't think they are necessarily superior to tip off mounts but it does eliminate the possibility of scratching up the receiver with clamp on mounts.
You got a really good deal on your gun. I hope you enjoy it.

Ron

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks RonJ. What is a tip off mount? Does the rounded receiver top make a difference in the consideration as to whether or not to go with a base. does the underside of the mount use a standard curve to fit to all receivers?

Thanks and sorry for the ignorance. I have owned about 20 milsurps with irons only up to now.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thanks RonJ. What is a tip off mount? Does the rounded receiver top make a difference in the consideration as to whether or not to go with a base. does the underside of the mount use a standard curve to fit to all receivers?

Thanks and sorry for the ignorance. I have owned about 20 milsurps with irons only up to now.
The top of most .22 rimfire rifles have 2 grooves. A tip off mount/ring combo clamps directly onto the grooves, eliminating the need for screw on bases. The screw on bases are separate from the rings which are usually purchased seperately. Rings must be compatable with the bases you buy. Your Weatherby has the option of using screw on bases or tip off rings. I hope that is clearer than mud! :D
Just make sure to buy bases for YOUR rifle. Different bases fit different guns.

Ron

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
The top of most .22 rimfire rifles have 2 grooves. A tip off mount/ring combo clamps directly onto the grooves, eliminating the need for screw on bases. The screw on bases are separate from the rings which are usually purchased seperately. Rings must be compatable with the bases you buy. Your Weatherby has the option of using screw on bases or tip off rings. I hope that is clearer than mud! :D
Just make sure to buy bases for YOUR rifle. Different bases fit different guns.

Ron
i'm unsure but find out if it has an 11mm rail or the american std 3/8" rail. leupold makes rings for both size grooves now. if the top of the rcvr is round I'd get a weaver or leupold base with rings to match your scope. some .22 rings are made for a flat top rcvr and won't fit the round rcvrs reliably.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.