Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to purchase a 22lr chambered bolt action. Most of my gun knowledge revolves around 1911's and seriouse caliber handguns. my bro does have a 10/22 so i have a little idea of what kind of ammo to get (aquila...uses just the ealy primer would be my choice for plinking, then real hollow points for the varmints).
must haves

1)nice stock (wood preffered)...longer the better
2)BULL or FLUTED barrel
3)very accurate (looking for sub moa accuracy, accuracy is second only after price)
4)low price (lets keep it under 500-600 bux if possible, but i would entertain as high as 800)
5)redily available parts (such as a 1911 or a 10/22 has)
6)drilled and tapped for a scope

·
Registered
512 Posts
does your price include the scope? probably not, if you want the same kind of aftermarket support as the 10-22, then your probably looking at a 77-22 bolt action Ruger. I'm not sure on factory base price, but as to stocks the skys the limit barrels? there to, almost all is available.

I'm sure there are other manufactures available, but if aftermarket support is somthing that is important to you then the Ruger line is har to beat

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
price does not include scope...ill be buying a good scope, so i need a good accurate rifle

price and accuracy is more inportant than aftermarket support...it will probibly stay stock for a while...i just want something i can get parts for

·
Registered
512 Posts
If you look down about half the page from this post, you'll come across a post called what are good groups? click that one, it directly involves 77-22s if those are good enough for you stock, then go for it. then get the stock, scope
etc that you want. I've got a 77-17. with a GM fluted barrel and it's definitly one of my favorite rifles. (although I would Like a nice piece of AAA claro walnut for it to set in)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
What level of accuracy are you looking for? It gets confusing when someone mentions that they want accuacy in one breath and then talks about shooting Aguila Colibi in the next. These rouonds ARE quiet, but you won't come anywhere close to benchrest standards with them...and usually not with the Rugers either. Lot's of people have tried. They can come close, and if close is what you want that's fine. They can give great hunting accuracy, but then you can get that for a lot less. The Rugers LOOK great, I like em, and the rotary mag is hard to beat. But if price is an issue a CZ 452, Sako Finnfire, or even a Marlin 880SQ or 25n will give you that. Most will have receivers grooved for scope mounting as opposed to being drilled and tapped. And the Ruger 77/22 receiver will really only accept Ruger rings. There's more leeway with most of the others.

Really boils down to what you want and what you want to do with it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the aquila would be for plinking, but i need an accurate rifle probibly with a laupa or cci ammo for varmints (guinie hens, squirrls, rats that fight back <-not a joke). Im not sure what is possible from a 22lr rifle as far as accuracy. The rifles ive been looking at are , ruger 77/22, TC Benchmark, and the marlin 880sq...but cant decide which is the best...

match grade accuracy is not nessesary, but would be nice.

·
Registered
512 Posts
oh man I'm not sure how well they perform in the 22rf, but I sure know witch just became my favorite :p only reason I have the 77-17 and not a contender now is because you can't buy a new contender in California. and don't bother looking for a used one :( I looked for a number of months sigh all that presto chango stuff!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
njkimberss said:
Well i need an accurate rifle probibly with a laupa or cci ammo for varmints (guinie hens, squirrls, rats that fight back <-not a joke). Im not sure what is possible from a 22lr rifle as far as accuracy. The rifles ive been looking at are , ruger 77/22, TC contender, and the marlin 880sq...but cant decide which is the best...

match grade accuracy is not nessesary, but would be nice.
Possible? Groups in the 1/2 to 1 MOA range are possible. From a STOCK rifle the factory acceptance specs are usually in the 2-3 MOA range. The 880SQ has a better reputation for getting closer to the 1/2 to 1 MOA range, particularly after the fairly simple trigger tweaks. And can be had with laminated stocks from what I'm hearing. The Contenders also do well, but are not a bolt action like you specified in your first post. SOME Rugers will do this, but MOST stock out of the box 77/22 need help to get below 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50 yards. With add on triggers and barrels they get better. The CZs have a good reputation and have good quality look to them.

Take a look over at Benchrest.com on the rimfire foum to get a better idea of what is considered to be accurate with the least rework.
http://www.benchrest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=3

LOL. If I had to go up against a LOT of "rats that fight back" I'd stick with my Calico M-100...what it lacks in accuracy, it makes up for in firepower...100 semi-auto rounds before you have to reload.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vibe said:

Possible? Groups in the 1/2 to 1 MOA range are possible. From a STOCK rifle the factory acceptance specs are usually in the 2-3 MOA range. The 880SQ has a better reputation for getting closer to the 1/2 to 1 MOA range, particularly after the fairly simple trigger tweaks. And can be had with laminated stocks from what I'm hearing. The Contenders also do well, but are not a bolt action like you specified in your first post. SOME Rugers will do this, but MOST stock out of the box 77/22 need help to get below 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50 yards. With add on triggers and barrels they get better. The CZs have a good reputation and have good quality look to them.

Take a look over at Benchrest.com on the rimfire foum to get a better idea of what is considered to be accurate with the least rework.
http://www.benchrest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=3

LOL. If I had to go up against a LOT of "rats that fight back" I'd stick with my Calico M-100...what it lacks in accuracy, it makes up for in firepower...100 semi-auto rounds before you have to reload.
i made a mistake i was thinking benchmark and wrote Contender...my mistake...how does the benchmark compare to the 880sq as far as accuracy and quality

as for the rats...if they get past the rifle, thats what the 1911 is for...a 45 slug ought to slow em down.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I've held one of T/Cs 22LR autoloaders. I wasn't THAT impressed. But as to performance..I cannot honestly comment. I haven;t heard enough pro or con. You could go to the T/C forum on this site...but there can be some bias toward brands in the dedicated forums.
Best bet for this site would be to go to the "On-Line Matches" forum and see what most folks are using and how they are performing. Ask Joe Haller, who runs em, and ask.. He will not steer you wrong. I doubt he will try to make up your mind for you either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Guns to consider:

Accurate Bolt action 22's, Bull/Fluted Barrel, under 800

Kimber HS $700.00
Kimber SVT 800.00
CZ 452 Varminter 370.00
Rem 541THB (Used) 500.00
Sako Finnfire -
Varminter 700.00
CMP Kimber 600.00 (D&T ??)

As much as I like Rugers I'd erase the Ruger bolt from the list it looks nice but accuracy is below what you are looking for. Bang for the buck CZ wins with possible the exception of the CMP mossbergs for under $100. If you consider used the Rem is very nice (I own one), my only complaint is the cheap plastic magazines. Parts are inexpensive and readily avail. Everything I have read about the Sako has been favorable except parts avail and cost. Example replacement mags cost $50.00 and you may be waiting awhile if something breaks. The Kimbers are excellent rifles albeit a bit pricey. The CMP Kimber seems to get mixed reviews.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Vibe, being the educated dude that he is, has just about covered it for you but I will add one thing:

On my team is a member with a CZ Varmint that is the most accurate rimfire bolt I have ever shot out of the box. I was so impressed with it that I bought myself one. Mine is also very accurate but as with all these guns, needs a bit of trigger work to be top shelf. If you purchase one and search out the ammo it really likes, sub MOA will be the rule. Price wise, they are the only game in town for MY money in a bolt, but others my feel differently. I would also suggest you get the CZ rings as they are very good and tall enough to mount a large obj target scope with (I think up to a 50mm).

·
Registered
338 Posts
I would not leave out the 77/22vbz

I think 77/22VBZ is a great rifle for the money . Mine is as accurate as any 22 I've seen . If you happen to get one that's not , a little work by CPC will cure it . At a hell of a lot less than any of the rifles mentioned above .

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: I would not leave out the 77/22vbz

wareagle said:
I think 77/22VBZ is a great rifle for the money . Mine is as accurate as any 22 I've seen . If you happen to get one that's not , a little work by CPC will cure it . At a hell of a lot less than any of the rifles mentioned above .
the benchmark and 880sq both cost about half of what the ruger retails for...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any lefthand bolt actions?

There doesn't seem to be any ~low cost~ lefthand rimfire bolt actions. I've been looking at the usual suspects:
(CZ452,Rug77/22,Rem541,Mar880) but none are for Lefty. Anschutz seems to be my only available option. Is there one out there that I'm missing?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I'd suggest browsing around www.cz-usa.com and checking them out. I bought one earlier this year and it has AMAZED me with it's accuracy.
WITH a scope I have less than $500 in mine.
Brookie sells a spring kit that everyone seems to really like for lowering the trigger pull. I keep meaning to order one for myself but it slips my mind when the $$'s in my pocket :(
Paul

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.