Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well - After 4 months of saving -

I went to wally world today to order my Mk.II, and oh yeah, they're on backorder. So I said OK. the MKII is $175, and the 93R17-FV in .17 HMR is $188. Same gun, smaller caliber. So when they finally put the call through for it, the warehouse that supplies them was closed for the night.......Gettin mad. So when I got back to the apartment I called 5 different Wal-Mart's, and the ONLY thing any of them had in a heavy barreled .22 caliber area was a Marlin 917VS with a crack in the forend. So I am gonna call back tomorrow when the warehouse is open and ask again. If not I am gonna spring the extra $40 to order it from my local gunshop, EVEN THOUGH they pressure me to buy something everytime I come in there. Next option after that is a smaller shop that wants $275 over Wally Worlds $188.

"pffffft"
Andrew

· Registered
999 Posts
Its just my opinion but those prices seem a bit high. I baught a mk ii last fall at the local wal-mart here in ohio and paid only a little over 100. Sold it last month for 90 to but the new mack 2 at a nearby store for 170. It may be worth it to look a little farther away from home to save some money.

· Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Were the rifles equipped with a heavy barrel and bases as well?

I am going to go to the local shop anyway. they are only $5 higher than wally's OTD prices, but I would also have a return policy, warranty, and service policy. plus the shop is only 100 feet from where I work.

Andrew

· Registered
1,028 Posts
Agoetz2005 said:
Were the rifles equipped with a heavy barrel and bases as well?

I am going to go to the local shop anyway. they are only $5 higher than wally's OTD prices, but I would also have a return policy, warranty, and service policy. plus the shop is only 100 feet from where I work.

Andrew
Andrew....are you referring to the FV model with the synthetic stock and heavy barrel ?? If so, I think I paid $170.00 last year for one at a local dealer last year so $175.00 sounds good to me, and I live in Ohio also.....I use it in a local unsanctioned Bench Rest match in the 7.5# Sporter class and it is VERY accurate....has not been beaten this year to date !!!
glenn (Buckeye Air)

· Registered
13 Posts
local gun shops

I am in favor of supporting the local gunshops, although in your case the price difference is very deterring. In most cases your local gunshops have more knowledge than the average wal-mart employee. It never hurts helping out the local guys, there just trying to make a living. I try making most of my purchases from the local gunshop whenever possible, I just dont want wal-mart to take over the world!

good luck,
Todd

· Registered
9 Posts
I must be blind

Sorry about that Andrew I missed the Heavy Barrel part. Mine does NOT have the heavy Barrel just a normal one. That actually may be the price difference there. and truthfully if i were to buy my rifle again I would pay $170 for it with a smile. So if you are happy with the prices all is well. I know you will love the rifle.

Todd
I also really try to support my local gunshops (and here in SW PA there is a pretty decent selection in my area. prolly 6 or so within a 10 minute drive), but the one most often used is terrible. I bought a Walther G-22 from there and the guys told me that the one he had was a "Limited Run of special Green ones" needless to tell you guys it was nothing more than the OD Green version of the G-22, he also said that the guns you buy from Wal-Mart (in this instance a Savage 10 in .243 with the accu-trigger) were the crappy ones that just break all the time, and also that the FEG, Arcus and Charles Daley Hi-Power clones are all crap and he would rather sell people only real Brownings and FN's.

· Registered
386 Posts
timyarb said:
I also really try to support my local gunshops (and here in SW PA there is a pretty decent selection in my area. prolly 6 or so within a 10 minute drive), but the one most often used is terrible. I bought a Walther G-22 from there and the guys told me that the one he had was a "Limited Run of special Green ones" needless to tell you guys it was nothing more than the OD Green version of the G-22, he also said that the guns you buy from Wal-Mart (in this instance a Savage 10 in .243 with the accu-trigger) were the crappy ones that just break all the time, and also that the FEG, Arcus and Charles Daley Hi-Power clones are all crap and he would rather sell people only real Brownings and FN's.
If a man in a gun shop told me this, I'd walk out and never return. He is not only putting down Wal-Mart (which makes me no difference) but he is also telling you these gun manufacturers are letting crap go out their doors. I would think that would be easy enough to prove or disprove. How long do you think it would take for these companies to go out of business? Sounds to me like this man doesn't like the compitition, and has no problem slandering those he can't compete with. I have personally bought many guns from Wal Mart, and never had any quality control problems with any of them. Maybe I've just been lucky. What would this "gun shop guy" do if he found out someone from WalMart said that all he sold was overpriced junk?

· Registered
187 Posts
I personally will NEVER buy a gun from anywhere other then private sale or a gunstore... just my opinion though... but I would rather have a good report with a gunstore and be able to bring it in and have them do work for relatively close to free (or free) then deal with someone who knows very little or nothing about guns (ie: WalMart) I am sure at Wal-Mart you wont have the guy throw you 5-6 boxes of different ammo for free and say "Go check these all out and that way you can see what your gun shoots the best"...

· Registered
163 Posts
timyarb said:
Sorry about that Andrew I missed the Heavy Barrel part. Mine does NOT have the heavy Barrel just a normal one. That actually may be the price difference there. and truthfully if i were to buy my rifle again I would pay $170 for it with a smile. So if you are happy with the prices all is well. I know you will love the rifle.

Todd
Have you been shopping in Kentucky lately?

The same load of bull one local pawn shop tried to shovel for me. Walmart guns are $100 cheaper but that's because they are poorer-made versions of the ones I'm selling here.

I agree with supporting the small guys and doing what you can through the local gun shop, but in some cases the local gun shops are populated by morons.

· Registered
568 Posts
MDN said:
Have you been shopping in Kentucky lately?

The same load of bull one local pawn shop tried to shovel for me. Walmart guns are $100 cheaper but that's because they are poorer-made versions of the ones I'm selling here.

do you really think they are cheaper made versions? if so thats kinda scary :(

· Premium Member
8,406 Posts
With a few exceptions, it seems most of the gun shops I have been in are run by jerks who think every customer is a blithering idiot and who are trying to make their retirement off every sale. I just hate it when I shop for something and it becomes immediately obvious I know more about the product than the salesmen, ( this also happens a lot on new car lots) None of them are shooters, if you mention silhouette or smallbore or IHMSA or some such their eyes glaze over. I have one really great gunshop in this area which I buy quite a bit of stuff from, including guns. The pawnshops all think their stuff is made of gold. I buy quite a bit of ammo, etc from Wallyworld, the price is right and the older fellow who runs the department is a SHOOTER who knows his stuff and treats me like a customer. I think if you have had trouble with Walmart it is not the fault of the store or their system but with a specific employee, probably one of the minimum-wage, minimum-brain teenagers. Just my .02 worth.

· Registered
568 Posts
Agoetz2005 said:
They all come off the same line from the same machines, cut witht he same tools. there are no "poorer" versions of the same guns, there are only "poorer versiions" of people

Andrew
That's what I was thinking. I was just wondering because I bought my Marlin Model 60 from there, and it's a winner. :Blasting_

· Registered
163 Posts
It didn't take me long to discount the idea of cheap Wal-Mart guns.

The gun manufacturers would be committing suicide to sell poorer quality arms through the country's largest chain.

Marlin probably moves twice as many Model 60s through Wal-Marts around the country than through mom-and-pop stores. What quicker way to destroy your credibility than to put inferior guns in the hands of most of your customers.

· Registered
4 Posts
Wal-Mart is destroying the country! If u even take a minute to think about it you'd know. They come in and low ball prices on the fast movin stuff (what a lot of mom and pop stores sell) and that drives them out of business. Everyone complaines about the price is to high,......would u work for free, or even take a 25 - 50% cut in pay?????? Yea, right u would. :1t They pay min wage, try to raise a family on that!! They dictate to the companies they buy from. If w/m doesn't like the price they tell the company to lower it or go take a flyin leap. The companies that supply w/m pay their employees min wage caues they've can't afford to pay them a higher wage. If Remington were to loose w/m they'd be out of business in 6 mos to a year, I've seen this happen time and time again. The government even has an on going group overseeing the effects that w/m has on the surrounding comunities. When it opens a new store the effects are the same each and every time, all the small stores close up! A lot of the mom and pop stores can't even buy the product for what w/m is selling it for, now thats fu-bar!! Sorry to preach but w/m is a pet peave of mine, as well as a lot of the big box stores.

· Registered
2,334 Posts
Wal-Mart

Topdog, Wal-Mart is destroying the country? Why would anyone let that happen? The people of this country will defend it against any threat by what ever means needed. And yet Wal-Mart continues to grow. Wal-Mart continues to grow only because the people of this country choose to shop there. Why would they do that if Wal-Mart is truely bad for this country? Do you know something that noone else does? Are you smarter and better informed than the rest of us? Please give us a detailed list of all the ways that Wal-Mart is destroying this country so that we can all make an informed decision about what we need to do to rid the United States of American of this terrible threat called Wal-Mart.

Hey thanks for letting me know that Wal-Mart only pays minimum wage. Every Wal-mart I've worked at has been paying our associates too much. I'm glad you set me straight on that. It's going to save our store a bunch of needless payroll. Our average wage in our sporting goods dept. was $12.00 an hour. But not now, because the Wal-Mart expert Topdog has spoken. And the rest of the 500 associates who work in our store who average over $10.00 an hour will have to learn to live on minimum wage. Thanks again Topdog, without you warning all of us by spouting your mindless word drool, this country would truely be headed for destruction.

All hail Topdog, savior of our country

· Registered
11 Posts
I guess that people

are to sit and wait for a good job......whatever that is. Personally Id much rather work for Wallyworld than not have a job at all [I dont work for them]. As bad as the economy is people will be clamoring for the jobs......for instance todays unemployment figures for our area were in the paper today at 8+ percent [my Econ prof always said to double that to count everyone] now Wallyworlds building here..........people need jobs! Now should they knock off a few smaller places that tells me we were paying too much at those places anyways. Also the 10-12 bucks an hour is FAR more than most make at any small establishment...more likely they are paying slightly avove min wage. Long as Wallyworld sells what I need Ill buy it there Rem/Beretta/Win.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.