Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen numerous videos that appear to show both are just as accurate, has anyone seen the same. I am in the market for a high end 22 but if a "10/22" can be just as accurate , Id rather go the "10/22" route.

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
Please don't take this wrong, but there is no way a Volquartsen semi-auto is even close to as accurate as a bolt action Vudoo, and I have both. Volquartsen should be compared more to KIDD and most will say the KIDD is also more accurate within the semi auto category. Although it comes down to a lot such as barrel, ammo and such. I love my KIDD supergrade, have several, and would select KIDD over volquartsen for rifles. For pistols, Volquartsen rules the world, both my Scorpion and Black Mamba are awesome.

Vudoo should be compared more to Anschutz or or other higher end bolt rifles. There is also no comparison in the cost, Vudoo's are much more expensive and you get what you pay for. Check out the "All Things Rimfire" section over at Sniper's Hide, there are two sticky threads up top that have some extensive info on Vudoo where the owner participates pretty extensively.

Again, not trying to offend any Volquartsen owners, they are fantastic rifles, just not in the same league as Vudoo.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I am just not drawn toward a vodoo because of the "having to operate the bolt very fast" and the overall cost of just the action as well. I can buy either one but I think my money will be better of spent on a Kidd Supergrade

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
There are Volquartsens that will out-shoot VooDoos and vice-versa.

To suggest that one shoots better than the other assumes that all Voodoos shoot the same, and all Volquartsens shoot the same, which we know is not true.

The only Voodoo I shot was nothing to write home about...Tom
I'm glad you said this, so I didn't have to :D. The second most accurate rimfire rifle I have owned was a VQ semi-auto. This rifle shook my faith in rigid, square lock-up, tight headspace, fast locktime, powerful ignition, sophiticated bedding, and having two action screws holding a barreled action to a stock -- the VQ had none of these.

While I agree they are "in a different league," that is only because one is a bolt action and the other a semi-auto. Accuracy wise, as mentioned above, it really becomes a crap shoot, and to say a bolt-gun (even a Vudoo) will always outshoot a semi-auto is just not true.

Regarding Kidd versus VQ, I would go with the Kidd, not because of any difference in accuracy (they both use Lothar Walther barrel blanks, as does Clark), but because I think the Kidd trigger is much better. It seems the Kidd is also a bit more competitively priced for the options one gets.

TBR

·
Registered
595 Posts
When it comes to 10/22 clones, I rank them in this order accuracy-wise.
1 Joe Chacon custom
2 KIDD Supergrade
3 Clark Custom
4 Volquartsen

That doesn't mean that Joe's rifle will always outshoot the other three but I still give it top billing.
Any of the four can outshoot the others but, since Joe uses Shilen Ratchet and Douglas custom barrels, I give his rifle the edge.

I own a Chacon so, yes, I'm a bit biased but it's very accurate and a great shooter.
I often don't do it justice but my cousin shoots it superbly.
I have a Vudoo on order and I expect it to shoot even better because of its faster lock time and control round feed.

If anyone has a Vudoo that gets beat by a semi-auto on a regular basis, it's time to have it re-barrelled, jmo.

·
Premium Member
6,932 Posts
When it comes to 10/22 clones, I rank them in this order accuracy-wise.
1 Joe Chacon custom
2 KIDD Supergrade
3 Clark Custom
4 Volquartsen
I'm not disagreeing with your list by any means, it's actually the same order I would put them in. Maybe the VQ and Clark at a tie. The problem with including the Joe Chacon though is that it's a custom built rifle and he uses different barrels, receivers, triggers, bolts, etc. from build to build.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
I'm glad you said this, so I didn't have to :D. The second most accurate rimfire rifle I have owned was a VQ semi-auto. This rifle shook my faith in rigid, square lock-up, tight headspace, fast locktime, powerful ignition, sophiticated bedding, and having two action screws holding a barreled action to a stock -- the VQ had none of these.

While I agree they are "in a different league," that is only because one is a bolt action and the other a semi-auto. Accuracy wise, as mentioned above, it really becomes a crap shoot, and to say a bolt-gun (even a Vudoo) will always outshoot a semi-auto is just not true.

Regarding Kidd versus VQ, I would go with the Kidd, not because of any difference in accuracy (they both use Lothar Walther barrel blanks, as does Clark), but because I think the Kidd trigger is much better. It seems the Kidd is also a bit more competitively priced for the options one gets. TBR
This is what led me to believe accuracy is 90 to 95% in the barrel.

Folks that make conclusive statements regarding accuracy based upon theory (other than the barrel) mean well but haven't owned enough rifles to see the practical results of all that theory; most of which is best left to elite benchrest shooters.

My most accurate semi is a loose Ruger 10/22 receiver with an Anschutz 1712 barrel screwed on. Only a couple of my bolt guns will shoot with it, and they have been culled from many. Please forgive the stripes!...Tom

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Thanks I bought it used for that stock in a completely different configuration. The only parts original to when I bought it are the stock and trigger.

Randy at CPC screwed the 1712 barrel into the receiver. I heard he doesn't do that anymore.

I do believe Maple but don't know for sure. Perhaps someone can confirm...Tom

·
Premium Member
1,137,220 Posts
Gorgeous and a nice touch with the charging handle Tom. :bthumb:
I did the same with some Rem 597 handles with various calibers and put a zirconia in the primer pocket many moons ago when affected with bling mania. Zircs do not like superglue IMA.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have seen numerous videos that appear to show both are just as accurate, has anyone seen the same. I am in the market for a high end 22 but if a "10/22" can be just as accurate , Id rather go the "10/22" route.
Seriously, what will be your use?

In general. no semi-auto will outshoot a bolt action or a single shot rifle-all things being equal. the problem is, not all things are equal, hence the arguments

I do not like hunting with semi-auto rifles, so even though I own a very accurate Volquartsen Semi, it doesn't see much use. YMMV.

I have both Annies and a Sako Quad I hunt with. Do I think they will outshoot my Volquartsen? I have no idea.

But I don't think any of them will outshoot my Vudoo Heavy barreled rifle on a MPA chassis.;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Interesting thread, which it looks like I'm reviving a little. I've owned a VQ and shot a friends Vudoo estensively. Haven't had as much time behind a Kidd, but I've shot them. The VQ shot the best for me. I wanted to like the Vudoo, and of course it was awesome, but my VQ did better for me most every time, and on paper, they both were set up the way I like. The Kidd did have an amazing trigger, better than my VQ, but I would otherwise rank it below the VQ and the Vudoo. Never had the chance to shoot a Chacon, but after this thread I've got to get behind one.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Well, I have both. Both are very accurate, but I use them in different situations. And I use my VQ .17HMR more than my VQ .22.

I have a 10/22 receiver with a lot of VQ parts, a Kidd trigger and an Onyx chassis. Again, very accurate.

Which is more accurate is subjective and everyone is different with what is "more accurate".

·
Registered
324 Posts
This is what led me to believe accuracy is 90 to 95% in the barrel.

Folks that make conclusive statements regarding accuracy based upon theory (other than the barrel) mean well but haven't owned enough rifles to see the practical results of all that theory; most of which is best left to elite benchrest shooters.

My most accurate semi is a loose Ruger 10/22 receiver with an Anschutz 1712 barrel screwed on. Only a couple of my bolt guns will shoot with it, and they have been culled from many. Please forgive the stripes!...Tom

Eye candy! What a beautiful rifle!

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Volquartsen with KIDD 3 oz trigger will shoot right up there with the best of them. One in front is my favorite. Center Ruger receiver with Tac-sol barrel and the back is Volquartsen with Ruger hammer forged licorice barrel. I really enjoy swapping components around to find what works best for me.
Just looked at my account with Volquartsen and I bought the receiver in 2002. Sure doesn't seem like that long. I do remember the 800. price tag and a little more than that for the Bell and Carlson Odesy chassis with adjustable butt assembly. Whatta Hobby!

Machine gun Air gun Trigger Shotgun Outdoor recreation

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've shot both a vudoo and kidd supergrade. Both can shoot exceptionally well the difference is the vudoo does it all the time unless somethings a muff.
The kidd had its ups and downs and I think that has alot to do with the way the bullets are loaded into the gun. Alot higher chance of the soft lead being damaged in a semi auto

1 - 20 of 24 Posts