Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I have a volquartsen carbon fiber barrel with a supressor on my magnum.I am wondering what the supressor is made of and can it be polished,mine is black?Also is it threaded?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
It is not a supressor. It is a compensator or muzzle brake. It's purpose is to reduce muzzle rise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK compensator

All I know is it's painted black and it's some type of metal,I didnt want to sand and polish it if it's just going to rust!I traded for the gun about 2 weeks ago it has a hogue stock and the volquartson barrel.What should I look for in the action to see if there are any other mods?

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
ruger mike said:
All I know is it's painted black and it's some type of metal,I didnt want to sand and polish it if it's just going to rust!I traded for the gun about 2 weeks ago it has a hogue stock and the volquartson barrel.What should I look for in the action to see if there are any other mods?
As to the first part, most likely its the same material as the barrel liner which I believe is SS. If making it shinny is your goal, go for it ..... sand the paint off and even if it is carbon steel, work your way up to about 1200 or 1500 grit paper and you'll have very little problem with rust, just have to clean and oil it now and then. If its an alloy then it may not polish up to the same as the barrel but should still look pretty darn cool.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update

I got it off, it is some type of steel I am hoping it is stainless if not I can skuff it and paint it flat black again.It was tough to get off it had about a half a bottle of loc-tite on it.Well it is going to work with me to get bead blasted tonite.
thanks for the advice
mike

·
Registered
192 Posts
i thought it was aluminum. i think i remember a vq ad saying that its aluminum construction makes it lightweight and therfore it doesnt change the balance of the rifle.

·
Registered
192 Posts
huh, thats funny because i just checked the vq website and it said

"Aligns exiting barrel gas so it surrounds and stabilizes the bullet for increased accuracy. Turned from lightweight aluminum so it won't change the balance or feel of your rifle. Installs easily by clamping onto .925" bull barrels. Made of aluminum and only weighs 1.8oz. "

www.volquartsen.com

does it feel like 1.8 oz?

·
Registered
656 Posts
They do make one that clamps on. However the one he has is threaded onto the barrel when it comes from VQ. They do shoot loose without being locktited on. I have a small amount of blue locktite on mine to keep it from shooting loose. I believe he has the barrel with the 32 hole compensator installed at VQ. I don't know if mine is steel or aluminum though will get a magnet and check right now. Well it is either stainless or aluminum magnet wont stick to it. Mine is powder coated black.

·
Registered
192 Posts
so if i wanted that stabilizer i'd need to take it to a gunsmith. does vq even offer that one separately? im looking for a stabilizer for a fluted .920 bull that is supposed to come in soon, what are my options? ive only found the clamp on one from vq.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stainless

It must be stainless I did the magnet check and then just for grins I left it on the patio last nite [I live near the Texas coast] no rust this morning.The funny part is I had a set of high ruger stainless scope rings that i blasted at the same time to get the same look...well they didnt pass either test.I dunno!I guess they aint stainless.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.