Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my quest to find a nice reasonable pre crossbolt M39 I stopped at a large and well known gunshop about 80 miles north of Seattle.

They had a dandy all right....a 39 serial #2225 in at least 98% or better condition with color case receiver. I was a little short of the required pocket change as the price tag was $3000! Yikes, what is so special about this gun that could justify that kind of price? The salesman didn't know much about it. Anyone know what year it was made. The Marlin year of mfg. chart doesn't seem to cover this gun.

Now if I could have knocked off the last zero I maybe could have swung it....

Mark 2

·
Registered
472 Posts
It depends on what the roll stamps on the gun say.... if it stamped Marlin 39-A, then it is a 1939 rifle. IIRC, the last case hardened 39-A receiver would have been made in 1941. If it is marked as a Model 39 with no "A", it is an earlier rifle...

You can get definite, expert information on this rifle at

http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/index.php

Put yout post on the guest questions forum.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Did it look like this?

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976563511.htm

"Marlin Model 39 lever action rifle S/N: 21xx (1922 - 1st year production) in 22 LR. 24" full octagonal barrel with mirror bore, adjustable rear sight and bead front sight, having large capacity tube magazine all retaining 98-99% original bluing . Case colored receiver and lever retaining 99%+ of case color. Standard grade wood stock in 98-99% with original Marlin butt plate. Really not much else to say outside of you just don,t find these early model 39,s in this condition anymore. "

Only $2895.

John

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a 39A

OK, the high priced Marlin is a 39A with serial #2225 so it must be a 1939 rifle if Doc Sharptail is correct.

Next step is to ask the Marlin collectors forum about it.

Thanks to all, Mark 2

·
Registered
76 Posts
Evening Mark2
You must be refering to Kesselring Gun shop off of old hwy 99N, correct? Been there many times to stock up on loading supplies. You should buy that .22 :) ,Then I wouldn't be tempted to! Just something about case hardin receivers that turn my crank. JohnBT & Slingshot455 those are two fine looking .22's. MC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.