Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Very Disappointed 10/22 K10

1135 Views 13 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Chum
I was looking for a plinker / varmint rifle and settled on the Ruger 10/22 K10
black fiber stock and stainless barrel and action, And I topped it with a Simmons Mag 22 scope. Nice looking rifle but that's where it ended.
I have a number of different rifles and shoot almost daily so I do know how to properly set them up. BUT this thing has been a problem from day one.
After being properly broken in I would think it would settle down a bit, But it has not. After firing a set of bench rested groups the target looks like a shotgun blast has hit it. Were talking 4 inch groups from 50 yards. :rolleyes:
In addition to that the magazine just refuses to feed. I've had it apart and cleaned maybe 6-7 times now. works fine for the first 10 rounds and then acts as thou its sticky inside. fires 3-4 rounds and then fails to advance the next round. I've checked all the obvious areas, Barrel tight, action clean and seated properly, scope tight and not moving around.

Are these rifles that bad ? I'm really not interested in dumping a chunk of greenbacks into a bunch aftermarket parts to be able to hit a rabbit from 50 yards.
I'm going to attempt to tweak it one more time then off to the for sale bin it goes.

OK Rant off. :D
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've used Bulk Remingtons (very dirty and loads differ tremendously)
Bulk Federals (Cleaner and more consistent load, but less accurate)
I've had the best luck with the CCI mini-mags.
This rifle was purchased new from Gander mountain.

· Registered
5,438 Posts
Go to the stickies area and read how to properly tune the mag.

Try the rifle without the barrel band and if that doesn't help then try a different scope.

· Registered
2,470 Posts
Also make sure you can put a index card between the magazine and the stock, the magazine should not touch the stock, or you will have problems just like you stated above. Another thing that gives is the hammer strut washer, make sure the slot is facing up....

Clint

· Registered
16,533 Posts
Chief Says : wind mag tight = good !
dont forget . back off tension by loosening the shaft 1/8 to 1/4 turn.

dont back tension off = same as weak adjusted magazine.

BARREL accucacy ? get green mountain = can factory 870 barrel

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well Gang I finally managed to get the magazine to feed properly, And yes it was user error. I wound it way too tight after cleaning.

As far as accurcy :rolleyes: This is a group I fired today from a bench at 40 yards. I guess I was expecting it to shoot as well as my marlin, The marlin at 50 yards will all hit touching the red.

· Registered
1,824 Posts
Lots of good replies above. :t

Also check the take down screw,make sure it isn't bottoming out on the barrel.
(with the gun apart,look thru the screw hole, see if there is a bright spot on the barrel. If it is short'n the screw.)

· Registered
1,898 Posts
Try some Wolf Match Target. My TNZ will shoot about that good with mini mags and some other ammo. Some are worse but it really likes Wolf MT. You could maybe cut those groups in half with the ammo your gun likes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.