Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a gun tonight and I had a default FFL in my profile. Decided to switch shops and I'm glad I did. When I went in to the list to make an FFL selection I saw that the gun shop I had used three times before was now at $75 for transfers. Glad I checked before just going with my default selection.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The last place local to me willing to do transfers just went from $35 to $45 as of August 1. Hang on to your hats boys, hyperinflation chasing unicorn energy will be a bumpy ride.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dang, most places around here are charging $10-15 to transfer. Last one I had done was $10 couple months ago, he's been that way for years. A couple shops are in the $35 range but $75, I've never heard of anyone around here being that high. I always try to patronize the shop that's doing them also, gotta take care of those that are taking care of us.

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Count yourself lucky! Here in Corruptiforniastan, most of the FFL's are charging $200, IF you can find one that will even do the transfer if you didn't buy the gun through them. If you bought from another dealer or direct from the manufacturer, very few will even talk to you about doing the transfer. I bought a JP5 direct from JP, fortunately I had a nice prize table discount certificate to offset the $200 fee the FFL charged.

Nolan

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
The Guvment forces us to use these crooks but won’t force the crooks to be fair!
They won’t even admit the FFL system doesn’t keep firearms out of the hands of the bad guys.
All it does is keep records of which good guys bought firearms!

·
Registered
53 Posts
No way I’d pay $75. That’s ridiculous. The guy I use has charged 25 for several years. 10 of that is the state fee. I don’t buy into all of the government tracking conspiracy nonsense but I do think it’s a money racket.

·
The Mod Squad
6,141 Posts
My local FFL guy charges $10 per transfer. I pay him at least $20 per transfer because I appreciate his service. Even $20 is ridiculously low in my opinion. My guy works out if his house and does the FFL thing part-time. He doesn't need the money but I sure do like the service that he offers. I'd happily pay him more if necessary just to support the service he provides and I'm not well off

People complaining that the local gun shop is charging too much, have you considered that they might be struggling just to stay in business? Do you not think it takes time to receive a gun, unpack it, log it into their books, and spend time working with you when you come in to pick it up? If it is was a new gun that you had transferred...was it a new gun that you could've ordered through them? I don't understand the thinking that these people shouldn't make money on the service they provide. I spend $75 easy when we go out to dinner. I'd like to pay $10 for that too but that's not gonna happen

·
Registered
53 Posts
People complaining that the local gun shop is charging too much, have you considered that they might be struggling just to stay in business?
Why should we care? It’s not my job to keep them in business.
Do you think we should donate money to help everyone pay their bills or only the sacred “small business owners?

My “Like” was supposed to be a Thumbs Down!

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
My local FFL guy charges $10 per transfer. I pay him at least $20 per transfer because I appreciate his service. Even $20 is ridiculously low in my opinion. My guy works out if his house and does the FFL thing part-time. He doesn't need the money but I sure do like the service that he offers. I'd happily pay him more if necessary just to support the service he provides and I'm not well off

People complaining that the local gun shop is charging too much, have you considered that they might be struggling just to stay in business? Do you not think it takes time to receive a gun, unpack it, log it into their books, and spend time working with you when you come in to pick it up? If it is was a new gun that you had transferred...was it a new gun that you could've ordered through them? I don't understand the thinking that these people shouldn't make money on the service they provide. I spend $75 easy when we go out to dinner. I'd like to pay $10 for that too but that's not gonna happen
I have friends that transfer for free, of course in the long run, they will be solvent with me.

I wholeheartedly agree on your statement. Buy a cheap glock off gunbroker to save 50 bucks when you could have bought from the same store doing the transfer, I'd eat your cost savings up too just to prove a point.
That said, what goes around comes around, any shop charging a ridiculous fee to me better make all they can right now, because we are parting company immediately after. Not sure, but a few 75 buck fees may pay for my own FFL lic.

·
Registered
Savage B22 Precision
248 Posts
I need to order a firing pin for my Chiappa Double Badger 22LR/410 and I just found out my local FFL Pawnshop/Sporting goods store isn't going to charge me a dime.
I was surprised I need a FFL just to order a $3 firing pin.

Eyebrow Eye Writing implement Wood Twig

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Why should we care? It’s not my job to keep them in business.
Do you think we should donate money to help everyone pay their bills or only the sacred “small business owners?

My “Like” was supposed to be a Thumbs Down!
Why? Choices and knowledgeable service.

We used to have a GREAT LGS, where I could go and handle whatever I wanted. The owner was REALLY knowledgeable and friendly. I could ask questions and get answers from someone who spoke from experience. Lots of it. I bought from him because he earned my business.

Cabelas opened up near him.

I've been at their "Take a number" counter, and was thoroughly underwhelmed by their "expert" staff.
Wait your turn. God forbid if you're asking to compare TWO firearms! Who does THAT? 🙄

Over a 5 year span, the LGS struggled to compete & moved to another state, where he's thriving.
Now I have to drive 3 times as far if I want to make a hands on choice and ask questions from a guy who actually DOES know more than me.

Those "sacred small business owners" are going to be replaced by corporate monsters with no heart & soul, with clueless sales staff.

I, for one, will miss them.

Just my little ol 2¢

Ballistics

·
Registered
34 Posts
4 of the 5 FFLs local to me charge $20 for transfers.

One outfit charges $150! Their prices are also the highest in the county, but their regular customers just eat it up. As dumb as it sounds, I've asked people why they'd pay their prices and found that a lot of these folks don't realize there are three other whole gun stores within ten minutes of this place. Two of them have been there for more than 15 years!

I suppose the only thing better than a sucker is one who can't figure out how to google 'gun store near me' lol

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to have 3 LGS within 15 miles of home, their all basically on the same street. All have knowledge staff for the most part, some more than others, but most are great guys that you just enjoy being around. Like I've already posted $10-35 between them all for transfers. It is our responsibility to keep the in business, if not us then who. I work for a living and depend on the public coming through the door to pay my bills as I'm sure many of us do. In one way or another we all depend on someone else to pay our bills no matter what you do. I look for the best deal I can find, but if I can buy it for a couple dollars more from one of these guys instead of the internet or gunbroker I definitely will. If you put your business through these kind of places routinely I find that most of the time the price isn't that much different. Patronize your LGS fellas, it's worth the effort.

·
Premium Member
13,017 Posts
$25 for transfer at FFL I have things shipped to. + $10 for the state fee. I mostly buy older .22's that don't show up at the dealers so it is gun shows, RFC, out of state dealers, online places. I visit the local gun shops regularly but don't buy all that much.

·
Registered
343 Posts
+++ on the Verify the fee first. I once ordered an AR receiver and had it delivered to a shop that I had used before. I figured the transfer fee would be the same $25 as the last time. Even called before ordering just to give them a heads-up. My fault, I didn't verify the fee. When the $75 receiver came in I went to pick it up. Fee was $50. Steamed but what could I do, paid and left. That's the last time I've ever set foot in their shop.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Many factors here. Story at bottom.

1. GB's FFL finder is only as good as the information entered into it. When I have called around to verify fees, I have found it to be widely inaccurate. As it is up to the dealer to update information, it doesn't really behoove them to keep it up to date. See #4.

2. Transfer fees in my state are generally higher because my state has made the cost of doing business higher for FFLs than in other states. Table top FFLs are a thing of the past here. The independent small business gun store is becoming a dinosaur. That cuts into competition.

3. Corporate owned and other brick and mortar stores in my area deliberately inflate transfer fees to encourage customers to shop with them instead of online. People pay the higher fees because they don't know or can't find something better locally.

4. Lack of competition also creates bad actors. It is a perfect storm.

Story: Last January I bought a rifle on GB. It was somewhat an impulse purchase late at night. I couldn't use the FFL I have used in the past, as he went out of business. See #2. BTW he was still listed on GB. See #1.

I called around to other local FFLs listed on GB. Real transfer fees varied from $30 to $100. What was listed on GB and prices given on phone were widely different. See #1 and #3.

I finally settled on a store near me I never heard of. Transfer fee was $30. Transaction went smoothly. I was satisfied, even somewhat excited. I found a new store!

A few weeks later I decided to buy three Ruger Mark IV take off barrels from VQ. It was a great deal. As the barrels are the serialized parts I needed an FFL. I called the same store. Asked if I could put all three on the same 4473. They said yes. I asked them to send copy of FFL to VQ. They did.

Barrels arrived. I went and filled out the 4473. I waited the waiting period and went back to to pick them up. Transfer fee went up $5.00 form a few weeks ago. They wanted $35 for each barrel. The transfer fee cost more than the individual items. The whole thing was a bait and switch. We negotiated. I left with my barrels, I will not return to that store. Sad thing is I probably would have shopped at that store in the future and recommended them to others if they had been honest.

Next time I buy something online I will need to find an new FFL. I likely will have to drive a ways to find a reasonable one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts