Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

velocity vs. barrel length

2506 Views 24 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Elkein
Does anyone know of a comprehensive table of muzzle velocity for various barrel lenghts, specifically for the Remington Premier or Winchester Supreme?

A comparison I saw for the .17 HMR showed the optimum length to be pretty short. I think it was about 18.5 inches. Some of the ultra accurate .22 LR also seem to have short barrels.

It seems a shame to lug around more barrel then you actually need to attain maximum velocity and (probably) best accuracy. I'm sure there is a lot more to it then just maximum velocity but I can't imagine the bullet is attaining any more stability if it actually slows down in the last couple of inches of a too long barrel.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
815 Posts
According to Chief Dave.....

It's 18" for the MAAGGNNUUMM.

Any shorter and you're wasting the .22WMR's potential.

He's told several people that when they were looking for 16" barrels for thier rifles.

· Registered
815 Posts
Well,

That kinda makes sense.....

Minimum == 18"
Maximum == 24"

"Happy Middle" == 20"

I personally know someone who is very "blessed" to have had the opportunity and resources to have been able to actually "chop" his barrels down, inch-by-inch and take "chrono" readings.

Ya can't argue with that kind of "evidence".

· Registered
815 Posts
"Factory Barrel"?

What's that?

Geeeez......It's been so long, ago!

(Where's my Ruger catalog?)

ahh, here we are!....

10/22RBM (Magnum) barrel length == 18.5"

(Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. 1999)

"Happy Rabbit"......

"Happy" to discuss the MAAGGNNUUMM....anytime!

:t :t

· Registered
815 Posts
Somewhere buried in the .22LR Ammunition Forum are a few threads relating to velocities and such of the WMR.

That was before we had our own MAAGGNNUUMM Ammo Forum.

We had a few guys that did the "chrono" thing for us.

If you guys are interested, ya can try a "search".

I already did a search of this Forum and we don't go that far back enough, so I'm sure they're in the LR section.

IIRC, some of the ammo was alot faster than "advertized", like the "TNT" & "Premier". SAAMI uses a 24" barrel for their "standards".

I know the "LR guys" are more concerned with velocities and the effect of that "super-to-sub" sonic bullet wobble.

Hell, our ammo looks "super-sonic"....still loaded in the magazine!

BWAHAHAHA!

uhhhh.....did someone hear the teeny-tiny squeek of a "hummer" , just now? Maybe, the wheels on my chair need oil.

;) ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.