Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

A quick question to those of you who have a bit more experience with these than I....... which of these do you consider the more destructive round? I've shot some of these, and they both seem VERY effective, just wondering what some of you with more experience think. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
stingers and velocitors

I have heard very good things about velocitors concerning perfomance and accuracy. DO NOT use stingers in any target barrel with a match chamber, since the case is slightly longer than a regular 22LR they can cause a slam fire. However, that is not true of the velocitors-- they are regular length 22LR cases. For that reason, I never use stingers. I would vote for the velocitors for most applications.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I haven't got to try my velociters yet.... so I cannot compare them. As Ky mentioned, Stingers cannot be shot out of tighter chambers so I couldn't shoot them anymore anyways.

BUT Stinger's shot lousy out of my stock barrel. Velocity was all over the place resulting in bad vertical stringing, they were just too inconsistant for me to do much with them.

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
destructive?

kc8qmu said:
Hi guys,

A quick question to those of you who have a bit more experience with these than I....... which of these do you consider the more destructive round? I've shot some of these, and they both seem VERY effective, just wondering what some of you with more experience think. Thanks! :)
first you must state your type of destruction. as far as blowem up the stingers win hands down but the velocitors out penetrate them by a large margine and are nearly as destuctive initially while having a much longer wound channel. being 40 gr and match grade consistency in rim thickness and weight are far more accurate at least in my rifles. so if your going after something bigger than say a groundhog or woodchuck(10-12 pounds) i'd go velocitors but if its PD's your after try the stingers.keep :snipersmi

nemohunter

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Stingers fragment upon impact and have pathetic penetration, I'd say if you wanted to do anything larger than squirrel use a velocitor(not that you would be able to hit the squirrel with a stinger!!)
OIS

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reples guys! I've shot both on paper, and my stock 10/22 barrel actually shot the stingers very well, actually much closer than the velocitors. Not that the Velocitors were terrible, just not as tight as the Stingers. I think I'm going have to go do a few more comparisons with those.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I have tried stingers in every .22 I have ever owned except my match chambered ruger 10/22 T. They group about like my mossberg at 25 yds. The velociters have shown much better accuracy and am looking forward to getting some ground hogs with them.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have had ok luck with vel's. I only shot two mags with them and they are ok. Stingers are good for a bigger "BOOM" but that is about it. They are fun out of a MK.II though. Lots more "kick" and muzzle flash and about twice the volume. Freak the guys out at the pistol range, load a stinger as the last round :D . Turn some heads.

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
my brother hit a chipmunk with a stinger...lets just say even at 50 yards there wasnt much left to the little critter...very big hole in his side....he was having problems with the chipmunks playing with his grape vines...now i havnt seen many this year so i think he scared them off :)

velocitors will stop a groundhog (woodchuck up here) dead in its tracks. and thats at 100 yards...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
woodchuckssuck said:
my brother hit a chipmunk with a stinger...lets just say even at 50 yards there wasnt much left to the little critter...very big hole in his side....he was having problems with the chipmunks playing with his grape vines...now i havnt seen many this year so i think he scared them off :)
a chipmunk......i believe you when you say that there wasnt much left, seeing as though there isnt that much there to begin with. shoulda gotten out the .300 weatherby mag. :snipersmi

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I shot both of some again today, this time the Velocitors out grouped the Stingers. This 10/22 only has around 1000 rds or so on it, maybe it's just breaking in a bit. These Velocitors DEFINITELY hit harder than the Stingers. I just cleaned out Wal Mart's last 6 boxes last night, I'm glad I did!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Hmmmm

Id say there both good at taking game , but the velocitors shoot much more accuratley for me ...

Stingers shoot 2MOA
Velocitors shoot 1MOA or better ...

Matt

·
Registered
242 Posts
The Velocitors are definitely more accurate in my rifles than the Stingers are and for larger varmints or predators I'd rather use the Velocitors. :t

Range Finder

·
Registered
576 Posts
Went prairie dog hunting last weekend and used both Velocitors and Remington Vipers. I found that the Velocitors had a definite edge in punch at longer ranges than the Vipers. I think the greater mass - 40 gr v. 36 gr - has something to do with it. I think you'd find similar results when compared with the Stingers which are an even lighter bullet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
We shot a LOT of frogs this spring and summer and for light skinned animals, my god those stingers were hard to beat. I tried some Federal 724 as well and hands down the stinger was more destructive. Just what I want, if you don't kill it on the first shot, it will dive on you and is gone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
acually.. i use neither... i use aguilla supermaxes.... it's a 30gr hollow point.... that scoots at 1750fps out of the barrel...and has 204 flbs of energy.... i think there a wee bit cheeper and more accurate than stingers....

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
dummybait said:
acually.. i use neither... i use aguilla supermaxes.... it's a 30gr hollow point.... that scoots at 1750fps out of the barrel...and has 204 flbs of energy.... i think there a wee bit cheeper and more accurate than stingers....
i looked at those at a recent gunshow.... i never cared for the lack of driving bands on the stingers, myself... i was thrilled to see the supermaxes have plenty of driving band, and a decent shape....

i wish i had noticed the case length.....is it on a standard LR length case? or is on the longer one???

thx
cletus

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Chief Says : " Aguila supermax 1750 fps"
Yea right , if yer readin the claim on the box !
My chrono shows them at mid 1600's Bout like the Stingers.
The case length is longer than the Standard 22 LR case , yet not quite as long as the Stinger case.
The box says :
HYPER VELOCITY 1750 feet/sec.
ENERGY 204 Ft.pound
RANGE one mile.
35% faster

Notice the play of words - feet/sec. instead of the always FPS " Feet Per Second". duhh ! in my book.
Range - one mile . We all know the range is over 1 mile . Remington shorts are labeled to shoot a mile.
35% faster ? faster than WHAT ? Win dynapoints "?

If these bullets actually went 1750 FPS , would you not think that barrel manufacturers would drop the STINGER name and adopt Supermax in their warnings. Trust me ! it wont get into the 1700 fps range.
CD.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.