Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how good is the velocitors on the rabbits. I havent shot rabbits before and i was thinking my .22 lr should be strong enough. Using a .22 mag on a rabbit seems like a little overkill. What are "yuns's" thoughts. What do yous use on the little bunnies?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Grew up in Pa. didn't you!!! It's been since I was in the Kutztown area that I last heard you's! The LR is just dandy on rabbits but I would use Federal bulk from Wal-mart or for a little more dollar CCI mini-mags. The Velocitor in my opinion isn't as good as these other two all things considered. Good luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
it will do a good job. I used Velocitors on squirrels and it did a good job. It doesn't do much damage either. The first one i shot, the bullet entered on the back and exited thought the belly, leaving only small exit hole. The other, the bullet entered in the ear and exited throught the bottom of the lowetr jaw, leaving exit wound smaller than i have expected.

·
Registered
15 Posts
:) Prarrie rats are abjout the same size as rabbits. With head shots I get instant kills with very little expansion. Kind of like in one ear out the other. The velocitor shoots flatter and further than "standard" bulk 22lr. In my guns it hits just a litle lower than CCI Stingers, but on body hits kills more consistently. I was getting a lot of cripples that crawled off to die later. Also with body hits the bullet does not exit so I assume that with more soft tissue they expand better.

All in all I prefer them to bulk hp lr. On line I've found them for less than $2.99 a box, less for a brick etc.

Jim

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Almost any 22lr. should be enough to kill a wabbit.

I dont know about the big jacks but cotton tails snow shoes and smalls jacks shouldnt be a problem.

Dean_311

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the velocitors too. I got a rabbit today. Bout a .5-.75 in. hole i guess coming out of rabbit. I hit a shoulder area which made it expand i think. I like the trajectory and they seem to shoot nice. What is nice about hunting with snow is it absorbed all of the sound of the round and it doesnt scare any other critters out there. I have about 3 boxes of them, i'll use the velocitors for a while and then compare them to the federal bulk pack ammo.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I think I will have to buy some boxes and range test them.

Tell me this has any done these tests: ???

Mini Mags VS Velocitors

Mini Mags VS Power Points

Velocitors VS Power Points

Paper/knock down/damage

I would hate to have to say my primary ammo is CCI instead of Winchester:(

Dean_311

·
Registered
302 Posts
Over here in Australia velocitors are not yet available.

Stingers are good for some but are terribly inaccurate in my CZ452 -2E

Winchester Power Points are the standard hunting round.

On rabbits hit in the body cavity (standard offhand shooting) from 10-70m (that I recall) they alway seem to open up to 1/2 to 1 inch wide exit holes.

A large portion of the time the bunnies drop often with out a twitch (I shot two side by side at 50m because of that recently).

A body hit has a 90% instant incapacity rate. Last time I had 13 confirmed kills out of 15 first shots, and a couple of the remainder might have been blown down thier holes at close range. Most dropped dead first shot. A couple were parralised(?) and one ran 100m before falling over (that was upsetting and unusual) I found him a couple of minutes later

Powerpoints do a good job.

I was looking forward to trying velocitors on rabbits eventually - but if they don't open up they are useless for walk around shooting, where there is not opportunity to go for a "benchrest" and head shooting them.

I feel strongly on this as I tried standard velocity solids on bunnies recently and was not at all happy with the results. Way too many wounded bunnies down holes - and only took back 6 rabbits out of many times that in shots. Even at 100m the solids were going through without causing disabling shock.

My two cents worth

·
Registered
227 Posts
I agree with Aussie. The .22lr is plenty deadly on bunnies. My brother regularly takes them in one shot from his Gamo .177 airgun...without any problems, most dead when before they know it. Whatever shoots well enough to hit the target will work:t

Perferator

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'll confirm what Aussie Jumper sais.
Whinchester pwerpoints are standard fare over here, and my Anshultz loves to put them into a Coverleeaf at 55 metres. I hate solids on rabbits, was gven a brick of Remingtons and none of our familly rifle like em. I got a guage out and they only measure.223, not .224 like the Powerpoints.
I've since palmed the other round off to another mate who had used them for plinking.

Hey Aussie Jumper, what part of Melbourne, trying to hook up with any fellow Shooter in Victoria. My hunting has become limited ever since the farm I used to shoot on got taken over by some big companny that doe'snt want shooters on the property.I'm a safe shooter who was employed as a farm hand every now and then on Eildon trout farm when we owned it 5 years ago. I'm deemed to be overly saftey conscious by my mates.
:D It's up to you, mate

·
Registered
302 Posts
When Azza called last night I was actuall driving out of the city for a few bunnies - the results of which featured in a friends gourmet lunch today.

Winchester susbsonic hollowpoints through the chest flattened them. We took 4, each with a single shot through the chest - 2 just fell over 2 moved for a few seconds.

I prefer high velocity hollow points but any 22 hollowpoint will nail a bunny. To me the advantage of higher velocities is for flatter trajectories when shooting beyond 50m - which in the open and at the moment relatively grassless (drought affected) fields here is very common

It was an interesting contrast to the last time we were there where we used Winchester T22 - a subsonic solid, not hollow point. Then the rate of hit to knockdown was only 1/3 for body shots.

What was also interesting was that people standing 10m (cleaning the previous kills) behind me heard the thump of my bullet hitting the rabbit louder than the shot from the rifle

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey AussieJumper & Azza,
How are ya fellas? Just a quick one - if you are interested in the velocitors, we can now get them in Aus, you just need to ring around a few places to get them. They are a bit pricey though, about $9-$10 for 50.
Im in Brissie and there were a few gun shops that stocked them.
Good luck.
Jed.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Jed

Thanks - Ill keep an eye out, i'd like to try them.

Are you a CZ person?, if so how do you find velocitors through them?

I put my CZ in this afternoon to have a bushnell tropy class scope with AO put on to replace a Taiwanese Tasco world class; Also the trigger creep reduction sleeves from Brookies kit addeed. When it comes back I'll be in a much better positon to truly assess the accuracy of various ammunitions

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey AussieJumper,

Yep, my rifle is a CZ American. I only bought it about 7 months ago as Im new to the sport. Ive just got a Tasco W/C 3-9X40 and a harris bi-pod on mine and it seems to do ok.
Hope your rifle shoots well when you get it back from the smith.
Let us all know how it goes.
Regards,

Jed.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'll stick to my single shot Anshults, just hope I can prove what I mean by the best bargain I've ever got my hands on. My dad showed me up and made a clover leaf with my rifle at fifty metres with its 4x's scope and Winchester Powerpoint's.

My brothers little rifle loves a diet of Whinchester Subsonics. They sound like and air rifle in his gun and he's likes the fact it hit's point of aim.
They're not as cheap as their hi velocity cousins, but those lead hollow point do hit hard without so much damage on the ears.

Remington ammo does'nt shoot too well in out guns, it's cheap, but very few guns shoot it straight.

Finger crossed my next phone call to Aussie jumper gets through.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Jed

Similar rig to mine - though the American might have more potential than my deluxe. I just upgraded the scope mostly to get adjustable objective.

Send me a private message if you want to discuss CZ's more. There is a good thread on "accurising the CZ" with some very good hints

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.