Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded for one in '96 from a kid who wanted a 10/22. I made sure he and his Dad were aware of the value difference but the kid wanted an auto. It is a very solid little gun and shoots great. When you close the lever it 'rings' like it's made from one piece of material. I know that these were made in the '88-'89 time frame but I'm curious about their production numbers. I've read rumors(starting in the 90's) that someone was going to start producing them again. Is anyone else familiar with these? The one I own is the only one I've ever seen.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Looks like a neat rifle.

I don't think Iv'e ever seen an old model? For sure your newer reproduction model. Maybe I did see an old one and passed it bye? I'll be looking closer from now on. Wonder if this Steven's trigger works easy due to wear or were they just made that way?

"Guns", "Sights" and "Home" works off this link but I can't access anything else.

http://hoodgraphics.com/Varner/

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
The old early Stevens Favorites had a leaf mainspring and a nicer let-off than the later coil spring models (post Savage acquisition of the line, the 1915 Fav. was beefed up to take the high-speed ammo of the day; they still work well with modern std velo).
With all the rounds fired most early ones were ‘well broke in’ and feel eel slick, not quite so good on the coil but waayyy better than the Savage re-make of the Favorite. I don’t remember if I have ever handled a Varner though I’ve had a number of Favorites of all three I mentioned and Mdl 44’sl (an up-size Fav. if you will).
Iirc the Varner has been regarded as being the best ever on the ‘Favorite pattern’; hype?, I don’t know but the pics sure look sweet.
Fwiw, I decided the EARLY Fav., IF sound, is best left to shooting CBs, definitely no more than sub-sonics. Most found are shot loose and the bore is gone, and overpriced for a project in need of serious re-work! If sound the CBs will ensure it remains sound; we shoot a Boy’s Rifle Match with mostly vintage tiny boy’s rifles and CBs only, a silhouette course (sil’s scaled correct size for the main match out to 200yd) of fire out to 50yds for Rams, all offhand and open sights. Ya gotta hit the Rams center or higher to get them to topple off the rail with CBs! This is the Most Favorite (pun intended) Match for most of us over aged ‘boys’.
Your lovely Varner would be top o’ the line in many ways.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts

I would opine that you came out ahead in the swap of your 10/22 for the Varner Favorite - good move ! :bthumb:

I stumbled this NIB Stevens Model 71 (for 1971) Favorite commemorative a year ago.

(I gifted it to my youngest Grandson for his birthday)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I stumbled this NIB Stevens Model 71 (for 1971) Favorite commemorative a year ago.

(I gifted it to my youngest Grandson for his birthday)

Sweet! I almost bought one new around '72 for about $60. Only problem was I didn't have $60!
Rob, they made a Hunter, Hunter Deluxe and Professional Hunter. I can Only imagine what the PH went for!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got this Varner 22 MAG yesterday.
Have 3 other Stevens Favorites- 2 are 22 LR one a 25 Rimfire. Wondered if anyone has mounted a scope to them. If so, which scope. I don't want to put a huge scope on it but optics will be helpful.
Seems almost a sacrilege but the peep sight isn't going to be worth much at night when a **** or coyote gets into the chickens.

Original intent was to use it as breakdown rifle cased and under the seat for grouse & coyotes when in the mountains on log roads. I always have a centerfire but sometimes it is overkill. 22 mag is handy.
And, I just noticed the peep sight is installed backwards. Only had a few minutes to paw it last night. Knew something was weird about it...Will have to rectify that when I get home tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
By the way- If any would like questions answered Greg, the owner of Varner (Greens Gun Shop- http://www.greenesgunshop.com/ ) is just down the road from me.
Nice guy and honest as they come. Yes he is selling Varner. (unless it already sold in the last few weeks) I believe it has more to do with having too many irons in the fire and wanting to focus more on black power.
He owns Hawken. The Original Hawken - Brand, blueprints, and the old buildings in Missouri and builds them. That and his other gunsmithing business ventures keep him pretty busy.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
A Varner! Ive known they were made and 'out there' but dont believe Ive ever seen a live one. By all accounts Ive read they are supposed to very nice.
I scoped a new type with a Weaver B-6 with a set of the old Weaver 3/4" tube rings for standard Weaver bases/rail. I had a flat bottom rail in the bin so I milled a slot in the bottom for a tall 3/8 dovetail blank I had and drilled/tapped down into the blank. With the rail now sitting down on the barrel and somewhat locked in with the dovetail blank I spread a smear of contact cement under the rail and screwed it down (and did a rubber band wrap around barrel and rail while it all set up). Worked fine and took some effort to remove when I put it back to stock to sell a few years later.
The Mossberg M-4 works nicely, as does the Weaver B-4 (I just like the 6x) on these rifles also and there are a number of real steel tube 3/4" internal adjustment scopes out there on gun show tables for cheap. There is a company now making 3/4" rings for Weaver bases new, and inexpensive so you dont have to source the old Weavers. If you wanted to go really retro you could get an external adj. scope but that will require target scope bases d/t'ed on the barrel, that is Not a drill press job in the garage. All that ext. adj. stuff has gone way expensive. Fwiw a good friend put a Weaver B-4 c/w a Litschert attachment on his 1915 Fav, it is very nice. He was able to use the old Redfield one pc base with the rotating lock-in front ring and the windage adj. rear ring (3/4", hard to find). That let him get gross windage easily tuned in the base to maximize the limited adj. on the scope for fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A 3/4" tube would undoubtedly make things easier.
One concern is access to load & I am pondering how to keep an optic forward of the breach. Then I get into eye relief - maybe a handgun optic or some kind of holographic gizmo?
Thinking I would favor a reticle over a red dot for head shots on grouse though it may be over thinking it. I've EOtech and a few others but they seem too fat - and I would need a picatinny machined to fit for a mount. A friend just mentioned he would do it. Guess there are blank picatinny rails out there.
So, long and short. Thanks for the reply. Still pondering on this.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts