Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Varmint Question?

446 11
Ok was just sitting here thinking about refinishing my Varmint stock and noticed there are no screw holes in the butt plate. :eek:

So this brings me to my question, How do you get it off? Is it screwed on or just epoxied? :confused:

Probably so simple I'm looking right over the answer , but don't want to risk damaging it.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Don't forget to lubricate the screwdriver shaft, don't want to tear the rubber up.
Not sure if this is true on rifles, but shotguns with hidden screw are usually (99%) crosshead of one type or another.

Neil. :)

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Rigrat.....I refinished my CZ varmint last feb. & left mine on.
I carefully masked off the rubber part with automotive masking tape.
If you sand your stock it very easy to sand to much then your but pad
won't match right. So ya leave your butt plate on & carefully sand it
with the wood.

Swiss

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Rigrat.....I refinished my CZ varmint last feb. & left mine on.
I carefully masked off the rubber part with automotive masking tape.
If you sand your stock it very easy to sand to much then your but pad
won't match right. So ya leave your butt plate on & carefully sand it
with the wood.

Swiss
That's the way I do it if refinishing, but be warned, if you use a varnish stripper it will melt the rubber.
Best to remove the pad, use the stripper and scraper/scouring pad to get the varnish off, and then re-fit the pad to sand.
I then remove it for the oil finish, as the oil can also make a mess of the pad, and you really want the oil to seal the end grain as well.

Neil. :)

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys ,

I actually had thought about doing just that, leaving it on and masking it off. I usually just sand the old finish off as I've never had any luck with the 2-3 different strippers I have tried.

May just have to try it. Sure hate to mess up the looks off the pad by trying to get it off.

·
Registered
20,675 Posts
rigger,

when i was gonna re-do my varmint stock, i found the two screws, removed
them and still couldn't remove the butt pad, even after some "light" tapping
with a "small" hammer and prying with a teeny screwdriver as there is NO
gap. gave it up and figgered it is epoxied on, but why would they go thru
the trouble of cementing the pad on? and screw it on? dont make sense to me,

just tape it up best you can, or try a hair dryer or sumpin. let us know,

Rico....

·
Registered
41 Posts
I shortened the stock on an FS awhile ago and the butt pad was both screwed and glued. Use your thumbs to spread the rubber apart and the slits over the screws will open up so you can find them. Put some vaseline on the screwdriver to keep it from binding and tearing up the rubber as you turn the screws.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone, guess theres nothing to do but to try to take it off tomorrow. But I ain't going to force it. If it wants to resist very much will just have to tape it up .

Hairdryer?.....hummm .......that just may be a ideal Rico.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok , fijnally found the microscopic slits the screws went in. After that I used a oiled screw driver (phillips) and removed the wood screws. Then using a razor blade I scored the line between the butt plate and the wood and it came right off.

Thanks for all the replies and tips guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.