Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new Mk IV 22/45 Lite last summer. My son and I have put maybe 300-350 rounds through it with rare failures to eject. Most of the ammunition was CCI Minimag and Remington Gold something or other. We both have shot approx 1 in. groups at 10 years, just shooting casually.

This week I took it to an indoor .22LR meetup where targets were set up at 50 ft. Suddenly the groups were all over the place. CCI Minimag and Federal 40 gr. Like five inch groups. The RO tried it off of a sandbag and also shot five to six inch groups. He was mystified and said maybe the ammunition is bad, but I had doubts since it was the same result with both types of ammo that I brought.

Feeling like I owed it to myself to try once more before sending back to Ruger, I took the pistol to shoot yesterday, this time outdoors and at 30 ft. I took the gun apart to inspect, then reassembled. I shot about eight 0.75-1 inch groups off of a sandbag. So now it’s a mystery to me how the gun was so wildly inaccurate on Wednesday and shot well on Thursday. Any ideas?

Additionally, yesterday I was getting many failures to eject. Is that typically related to ammunition in these guns? Forgive my ignorance, I’m an experienced shooter with centerfire pistols but rimfire is new to me. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Guns don't go bad sitting in the safe. Both issues could be caused by a fouled gun though. I'd start with a thorough scrubbing of the top end and checking thay everything is still tight. Then maybe try it again at 10 yds to compare ( with good ammo). That said, MK IV (or III) Lite's are not known for accuracy. Their short sight radius, cheap tensioned barrels make them less accurate than say a 512 or 678 Target version. I don't think either of mine would do better than 3" at 50' and likely not that good with (junk) ammo like Remington Golden bullets.

·
Registered
167 Posts
First off failures of any kind with Remington Golden Bullets are pretty common across all platforms. The product lines may or may not get better now that Remington has been sold off. We have yet to see.

Eliminate Golden Bullets as a source of failure and move on.

Early on there were reports of some Mark IV Lites having lose barrel nuts. Check that. What you are describing sound s a lot like it.

I have also seen the sight rails come lose. Something else to check.

On my Lite the groups opened up after some time, but not like you are describing. It is likely fouling and trigger wear. I haven't taken the time to work it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts