Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
yea all,

anyone here have a mag rifle that will shoot just about anything you feed it
and it shoots great @ 100 yds ?? am talking groups. what kinda gun ?? i can zero in with 40 grainers, dead on, and switch to 33 grain ammo and the POI will be about one inch low. ( which would most likely miss a gophers head ), would think it would be the other way around,

thanks all, just curious

·
Registered
50 Posts
The 33 grainers are hitting low because they are traveling faster down the barrel and exit the muzzle before being affected as much by the "whip". The longer a bullet remains in the barrel, the more it is affected by barrel whip/recoil/harmonics.

I had a hard time accepting this explanation when I was told about faster bullets and lower POI, but I've tested it enough and researched the data enough to find the explanation valid and credible.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a Marlin model 782 and I only shoot Winchester ammo. For some reason, my rifle does not like anything mfg by CCI that I've tried so far. The best group I shot with CCI mfg ammo was a 3 1/4 group at 100 yds with Remington Premier 33 gr V-max. The worst groups were 6 inches at 50 yds with CCI 40 gr JHP's and FMJ's. I have yet to try Federal 50 gr, Remington 40 gr Pointed Soft Point, and CCI 30 gr TNT ammo.

I've found that Remington 33 gr V-max shoot 1 1/2 to 2 inches lower than win 40 gr JHP's.

However.......to the part about lighter bullets shooting lower.........Winchester Supreme 34 gr have EXACTLY the same POI at 100 yds as the Win 40 gr JHP's out of my Marlin. I can switch between Win 40 gr and Win 34 gr freely without making adjustments.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.