Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading with great interest the threads on scopes, mountings, lapping etc.

Just picked up an old Weaver V9 3x-9x with AO 50 Ft -1000 Yds.

However, when I crank up the power to 9, I cannot get the image focussed. The crosshairs are sharp but the target is definitely not. At 3 power everything is crisp and clear.

Is this typical of variable power scopes?

I was planning to put this scope on a Savage Mark II LV. I plan to use it for plinking, casual target, and small game hunting. I would like to get it right 'cause I am a bit anal. I'll never shoot benchrest and will not be swapping the scope to other rifles. I am thinking of the Burris Zee rings with the inserts.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Bruce G.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Are you adjusting both the AO and the

eyepiece focus also? You may have to do both.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Focus adjustment

Yeah, I am using a target (neighbors house) about a hundred yards away. I set the AO for that distance, then cranked the power up, tweaked the ocular lens both ways a couple of turns (1/2 turn at a time) but no luck. Also tried adjusting the AO a bit each way. At the higher power, the target is distinctly blurred (sorry for the oxymoron).

The scope says Weaver USA but no mention of El Paso. Don't know the age.

Thanks for your comments.

Bruce G.

·
Registered
487 Posts
1. DON'T AIM AT NEIGHBORS HOUSE!!!!!! Anti's will jump on that one. Plus, rather be safe than sorry. If I see a gun pointing at my house..... Me + Police pointing at your house :D

Also, don't trust the markings on the AO. Just turn it until you get it focused. If it doesn't focus right, bring it back.... Didn't you test it in the store?

Call Weaver and ask about repair/replacement could be an option as well.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Focus

Just a newbie, not totally stupid!

Never said aiming, said focusing. Scope not currently mounted on a firearm. Was setting it on a rest (cushion) and focusing out a window.

Bought used, auction, by mail, don't think it is warranted by the "new" Weaver company. Knew the risk, not *****ing, just asking. Expensive lessons teach the most. Try to learn from other peoples expenditures.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Setting Up a New Scope

Bruce G.
Was setting it on a rest (cushion) and focusing out a window.
This is NOT a good test, as most window glass is very poor optically....! ! :(

Also, the eye relief is not constant or optimal....! ! :(

And, is that house 'really' 100 yards away, or 50 yards, or maybe 150 yards.....! ! :confused:

Check the scope tube body with a magnet; the old Weavers [El Paso] were steel. ;)

From a previous Post of mine from about a year ago, but worth repeating:
Setting Up a new scope:

1. Inspect for any damage.
2. Are the AO and Power controls smooth?
3. Does the image appear bright and clear [the AO must be set for distance to the image]?
4. Focus the ocular lens on the reticle for your eye; not all eyes are equal, and this must be done. If you normally wear corrective lenses while shooting, then wear your glasses for this step. If you wear glasses for reading, but not shooting, then leave your glasses off for this step. When focusing the ocular lens, first look off into the distance for about a minute [so your eye accommodates to distance], and then quickly look through the scope at a blank surface [wall or sky]; is the reticle clear and crisp? If not, adjust the ocular lens 'out' 1/2 a turn, and then repeat; if it is better, then give it another 1/2 turn 'out'; if not, give it a full turn 'inwards'; repeat until you have a clear and crisp image of the reticle [ignore what the target looks like]. Remember, each time look off into the distance for about a minute before looking through the scope......
5. Adjusting the AO for target shooting: This should be done when you are at the range [or the place where you shoot]; initially, set the Power to its highest level, and turn the AO ring to the 'marked' range at which you are shooting; if your target is at 50 yards, then turn the AO ring to "50 Yards"; now look at your target through the scope: is it clear and crisp? If not, turn the AO ring ever-so-slightly to the left or right until your target is clear and crisp. Now, set the Power to the desired level. DONE, until you change your shooting distance.
6. Adjusting the AO for hunting: This should be done just before you enter the area to be hunted; set the AO ring for the range at which you 'expect' see game: squirrels - 50 yards; woodchucks - 100 yards, etc..
7. For Non-AO scopes [rimfire and air gun], steps #5 and #6 are omitted.
8. Sighting-in the scope is a separate issue.

Good Luck......! ! :)
Let us know how you make out....... :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Big Mike,

Thanks, I had actually found your earlier post and was using it for reference.

I'll grant you the neighbor might be 90 or 110 yards away but I know my lot is 200 ft long and I am looking at the second house down from me.

Unfortunately, not only do I wear corrective lenses but bifocals now too. I will check it out under better conditions and see what happens. The scope body is definitely steel (magnet test), gloss blued finish, the AO ring is plastic.

Thanks again for your info.

Regards,

Bruce G.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Bruce G.,
The scope body is definitely steel (magnet test), gloss blued finish, the AO ring is plastic.
It sounds like a late "Weaver" El Paso model, which would put it in the early to mid 80's. [The "W.R. Weaver Co." went out-of-business in late 1983.... :( ]

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Figgered it out

While tinkering with the scope I noticed that when the AO was cranked to max (against the stop), short range stuff was focused and the AO 1000 yard mark was well past the index mark on the scope tube, almost all the way back around to the 50 FT mark again . A little experimentation revealed that the AO stop ring was loose (glue dried out). I gently pried off the stop ring, turned the AO ring INTO the scope one full turn and tried again. Wow, all of a sudden the short range stuff is in focus and the AO index mark points to between the 100 FT and the 50YD marks.

It appears that at some point the AO stop ring came off and whoever popped it back in place did not get it indexed properly. With some experimentation (and estimated ranges) it now appears to be working correctly. With the AO just past the 100 FT index, the rear property line (about 100 ft +- 15) shrubs are crisp and clear. If I dial the AO up to 200 YD, the car in the driveway at the end of the block is crisp and clear.

Need to find out about the guy that works on old Weavers though. The AO ring has a crack running almost all the way from back to front. Lenses could use a thorough cleaning too.

Thanks again for the info.

Regards,

Bruce

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I think it is called the Weaver Repair Service in El Paso, TX. Apparently they got all the old Weaver parts and have been repairing the El Paso Weavers ever since.

I have the same scope on my gun and I like it a lot. It could be as old as the mid-60's as that is when they started using the plastic AO. Later versions were all steel, won't focus below 50 yards, and include Micro-Trac.

Does yours have duplex crosshairs or fine crosshairs? Mine has the fine crosshairs that are great for target work. They just barely cover the 10 ring (0.1" diameter) on the USBR target at 50 yards.

Glad you figured out the AO problem.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Weaver

Brookie,

Thanks for the info. Mine has the Duplex Crosshairs. I'll only be using it for casual target work, plinking or field work so I think it will work out well.

I'm glad I figured it out too, I was feeling I had poured the bucks down the drain. If the repairs/tuneup are reasonably priced and it will last a long time, I'll feel it was worth while.

Thanks again for the info.

Bruce G.

PS right from the "new" Weaver site:

Please be advised that scopes manufactured prior to 1985 were W.R. Weaver scopes which do not fall under the warranty of ATK - Weaver Operations.

If repairs are needed for (W. R. Weaver scopes), scope should be sent tothe following company:

Weaver Scope Repair Service
1121 Larry Mahan Drive, Suite B
El Paso, TX 79925
Phone: 915-593-1005

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Bruce,
You're lucky to have a scope with an AO stop ring that you can adjust.
My BSA's AO marks are off by about 15 yards. I plan on remarking them at the correct distances some day when I have time.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chuckle

Heh, heh, heh,

The only reason I can adjust it is because the glue joint between the AO ring and the stop ring dried out and failed. Normally I don't think it was supposed to be "user adjustable".

I agree it is a nice capability to have but I would rather have my scope in one robust assembly, or have the stop ring DESIGNED to be user adjustable. What a concept!

Thanks for the thought Fumbler.

Bruce G.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.