Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these questions are rampant, and that most of this information can be had by doing searches on gunsamerica.com and gunbroker.com (which I have done, as preliminary research).

That said...I'd like some "expert opinion" about the value of a pistol. The description is as follows:

Smith & Wesson 17-2 K22 masterpiece, 6" blue, 99% with original box

I have seen pics of the gun, and will see it in person this week. It appears accurately described, at least in the pictures. What is a fair price for this? Prices seem to range from $350-450, but I have also read several posts in this forum that seem to indicate that the -2 model is one of the better generations on the model 17, with respect to fit, finish, and action.

Anyone who would care to comment or offer advice on what to offer for this Smith is welcome to share advice. Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
S&W Model 17-2

Hello:
I certainly am no "EXPERT" but have had and own several K-22's. This one I have is a model 17-2. It did have worn bluing so I decided to have it nickel plated to MY likeing. That series is when S&W had the COLT wars. Colt was producing a better finish and fit and S&W wanted to exceed there sales so put a better fit and finish on this revolver. It does "NOT" mean that all other series of K-22's are inferior or less of a handgun in any way. I also have the early ones and the patridge sight was dropped the tall style that is, in 1952. The action is also just as smooth as my 17-2 on my 1951 Model.To me the K-22 is the most reliable revolver S&W ever produced. It was prompted by California dealer Phil Bekert. He insisted that S&W produce a revolver on the original 32 frame for target shooting. It was done so on a "I" frame to start and commonly called the 22-32. This soon took off and S&W figured they would offer the K-22 in a frame that would give shooters the same feel and heft as the mighty 357 so the frame was changed to a "K" frame later. This was one of the highest produced revolvers which makes it easier to find one. they also seldom wore out as well due to there fine proven design so there are several to choose from. The price is from 300.00-450.00 in my area for ANY nice K-22 and the models are alike other than buyers eye appeal. Good luck, and I hope this helps. Regards, Hammerdown.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's supposed to be "super-clean" according to the store owner...all original box, etc.

He's asking $385, but I may end up trading my Colt conversion 22/45 for it.

Would my Colt 22/45 conversion on top of a decent but no-name steel frame w/ one original Colt magazine and one non-original Colt magazine traded straight up for the 17-2 be fair? I paid more than $385 for my Colt, but I think I'll enjoy the Smith more. That stupid conversion unit isn't that accurate, and it's incredibly high maintenance just to keep it running.

I may see if he'll throw in some ammo or something to even up the trade. He already offered to trade straight up, but I don't think I could get any additional money out of a store owner. He's got to make a living too. :D

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Swapping for a K-22

mgeoffriau said:
It's supposed to be "super-clean" according to the store owner...all original box, etc.

He's asking $385, but I may end up trading my Colt conversion 22/45 for it.

Would my Colt 22/45 conversion on top of a decent but no-name steel frame w/ one original Colt magazine and one non-original Colt magazine traded straight up for the 17-2 be fair? I paid more than $385 for my Colt, but I think I'll enjoy the Smith more. That stupid conversion unit isn't that accurate, and it's incredibly high maintenance just to keep it running.

I may see if he'll throw in some ammo or something to even up the trade. He already offered to trade straight up, but I don't think I could get any additional money out of a store owner. He's got to make a living too. :D
Hello:
It sounds to me like your COLT item is more of a burden than joy to use. I am not up on any COLT items but would ask a Colt person prior to swapping. Remember that if he is eager to swap for yours straight up, he must KNOW he can exceed the price he has placed on the 17-2 he has for sale. The 17-2 was made from 1961-1967 and if you should get it I would be happy to date yours as long as you provide me with the full serial number minus the last two digits for security on your end as well, in a P.M. Here of course. To me this is a no brainer.. I simply LOVE the K-22's and have NEVER had one that wasn't a tight grouping flawless functioning revolver. Quit simply to me they are THE BEST ON EARTH and S&W did a fine job on this model. They will only GROW in value if well cared for as well. A thought on ammo would be that I have tried about all there is out there and the best I have found is Winchester. This ammo seems to be the tightest grouping and leaves the revolver almost spotless from burned powder residue as well. I also use ONLY copper jacketed bullets and high velocity hollow points. The reason for this is that LEAD is FILTHY and a royal pain to clean out of the bore & The price difference on a brick of ammo is not WORTH the extra labor involved in cleaning and maintaining it.Another reason is S&W has made MOST K-22's tight fitting on the cylinder chamber's and this is the number one and only complaint I have heard from owners as they say that after firing a full cylinder that the spent shells are HARD to extract.9 times out of 10 this is related to FILTHY cylinder chambers caused by either CHEAP ammo that burned dirty or a Lead build up. No sense asking for problems ,when we are talking a small difference in ammo price here. Please let me know if you do get this revolver and I am confident ONE trip to the range will make you a K-22 Lover & Believer for life. Best regards, Hammerdown.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Depending on the condition and exact details of your Colt 22 conversion, it may well be worth more than the asking price of the other revolver. You need to post the details in the Colt section with photos to find out the value of the conversion unit. They seem to bring $300 plus on Ebay depending on condition, age and what original extras you have. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Tacoma said:
A 17-2 in that kind of condition with origional box is worth $375-$450 all day long in my travels. Grab it or regret it forever. They are never going to make a K-22 that nice EVER again.
Hey Tacoma:
SO TRUE... Short of the OLD LADY it is my favorite thing to FONDLE..& Marvel over even though it has AGED Better... :eek: Hammerdown.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Going tomorrow to do the deal! Getting excited. I'll post pics after I get it back and spend a little time bonding with it.

Haven't gotten a reply in the Colt forum yet...

Still, the only conversion units that I've seen selling for much more than $300-400 were in better condition than mine. I'd rate it at 80-85%. Bluing is good, but there's some pitting on the slide near the left hand serrations.

Either way, this trade feels right. I may lose a little bit of market value objectively speaking, but subjectively I think I will be more than satisfied with the trade.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Called this morning to check before I left and it had sold. This morning. They were only open for half an hour before I called.

(sigh)

Well, I couldn't have gone before today anyway. It's a two hour drive, and so unless I had gotten there this morning when the doors opened, I still would have missed it, and wasted the drive to boot.

(sigh)

I feel a little miffed that the gentleman in question sold the gun when I had made known my intention to come today to get it. But, I can't really fault him - he's got to take the sure sale over the potential sale.

(sigh)

(double-sigh)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Another LOW LIFE SALES PERSON....

I feel a little miffed that the gentleman in question sold the gun when I had made known my intention to come today to get it /QUOTE/

Hello:
There is NO EXCUSE for what he did by selling it out from under you. A persons word is there bond to me and if I had cut a deal with this untrustworthy man, that is the way I expect it to unfold. This guy is a no good MONEY GRUBBER and I would NEVER deal with them again.I also would get in contact with his BOSS or better yet the OWNER to let them know what a piece of Garbage they have working for them as well and be sure to fill them in on how you had a deal MADE and HE backed up on you. Keep looking, there are more K-22's out there and in the mean time I would sell the items you were going to swap so if another one pop's up you could POUNCE on it. just my thoughts. Regards, Hammerdown

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the support. Unfortunately, he IS the owner. I had read some mixed reports about him on this very site, but figured that as long I had a chance to see the gun in person, there was no way I could get screwed.

I probably will start looking to move the Colt.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I've learned similar hard lessons. The only way to avoid it is to put a deposit down on the spot. ( Even $20 will usually hold it). i'm not saying he didn't bone you but having worked in and consigned personal guns in a gunshop, it's not that uncommon for declared buyers to change their mind. In most shops around here. It's stillfor sale until somebody leaves $ on it and it goes in the safe with a "hold for' tag on it.

Too bad in this case. Sounded like a sweet heart.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Ones Word ???

Thanks for the support. Unfortunately, he IS the owner. I had read some mixed reports about him on this very site,/QUOTE/

Hello:
I would not hesatate to POST a thread to warn OTHERS here about his LOUSY business practices. Like I said before "A MANS WORD IS HIS BOND" and it sounds like his isnt worth a darn.. Sad really sad, He had to treat a potential sale this way and I would have at least tried to call you or held off till the time you said you would have been back if he agreed to that from the start. Regards, Hammerdown

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.