Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Utilitarian Project

774 9
Hi Folks,

Well, I've barely got my new Ruger out of the box and I'm already thinking about my next project :)

I've always fancied a utilitarian rifle, like the 'black' rifles of the AR-15 variety. Cost of purchase, ammunition and finding somewhere to shoot one of these has talked me out of it (for the moment :) ).

Here's something I've been tinkering with in paintshop.

It's a basic 10/22 with blued rifle and action. The stock is one I found on Cabelas web site (Advanced Technology (ATI) Fiberforce Stock).

I've added (in paintshop) a flash surpressor (Slipover Flash Hider from Cabelas) and on the barrel is a laser sight from Aimshot (LS 6100B).

The magazine is a Steel Lips one.

I think to finish it off I'd install a Zephyr Sighting System.

What do you think? It'll be a while before I invest in my next 10/22 and start this project. I'm not sure the stock is the one I want, I like the look of the fixed folding stock too.

Barclay
I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Save your 50bucks and stay away from that ATI stock. I made the mistake of buying one and regret it! I also liked the looked of it untill I actually got it. The next day I bought a Fajen Thumbhole Silhouette Stock "Coffee" / .920 Fluted Stainless Steel Barrel Combo from Midway and both are absolutly gorgeous!

· Registered
325 Posts
Utility means a lot of things to a different of people, the OEM hardwood birch stock on the 10/22 is quite utilitarian in my book, brand new they are 24$ or so, and are tough as nails, good for beating about, a bonus is they fit me adequitly, one could easily create storage in the butt portion for more ammo and tools. I do happen to own a dedicated utility rifle, an OEM ranch rifle(scoped with large magazines.)

· Registered
2 Posts
How's the project coming along?

Hey, I was just wondering if you have done any work on the project you mentioned in this post.....I am in the process of building something very similar. I have most of the accessories on order, including the Dragonov stock....only real difference between the one I'm building and the one in the photo is that I'll be fitting it with a red-dot scope. Won't be much of a tack driving gun, but will be a whole lot of fun to plink with. I'd be interested to see pictures of your final results! :)

· Registered
10,095 Posts
Tactical .22's are not my bag baby... (sorry.. couldn't resists)... but one of the first things I would suggest is upgrading to a GM sporter blue barrel. I have 2 and they are MUCH more accurate that the Ruger barrels.

· Registered
318 Posts
Well, lets see if my "tactical" 10/22 will show up. I made the stock choice and such not so much for an evil black look or "tactical" appearance but because it's comfortable for me! Bi-pod and monopod are for convience of not lugging bags around.

· Registered
2 Posts
Barclay, Sweet looking rifle! Too bad you didn't Mod your 10/22, would have been nice to see how it turned out.

I thought that I'd take the basic 10/22 receiver/barrel and mount it on one of the ATI draganov stocks (I would have gone for the Choate stocks, but availability in Canada is limited and I don't want to deal with all the customs BS to ship it here). I've got a couple of the butler creek 30 round clips coming, a basic tasco red-dot scope, and a barrel mounted laser sight. I was considering a barrel shroud and flash supressor for looks, but we'll see (I'll have to make sure our strict-*** gun control laws allow it). Anyways, I like the photo you did up on paintshop, gives me an idea of what to expect.
I'm not expecting it to be a target rifle by any means, but it'll be fun to play around with and take out a few of our monster Canadian bunnies. Again nice work on the mini-14! :t

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.