Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

using bondo to build up comb

641 7
I am planning to build up the comb on a factory carbine stock using bondo. The idea is to make it better suited for scoped use. I have never used bondo and have a few questions. First, do I need to do anything to the wood to ensure a good bonding between the wood and bondo? Maybe drill holes in the wood where the bondo will go, roughen the surface of the wood? Second, is there a better product than bondo for this project, or maybe bondo comes in several forms, powder, puddy ... which is best? What is the working time with bondo, ie. how long do you have before it sets up? How long do you need to let it dry/cure before sanding or otherwise shaping it? Must you seal it before painting it? THANKS! regards. lawboy
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Let's see, FWIW you should rough up the wood to get better bonding, must have something better than Bondo, bondo is normally a putty mixed with hardner, cure time depends on how much hardner you add, too much and it will setup to fast and crack, to little and it'll stay tacky, you should seal it with primer before painting. Maybe a fiberglass matting instead of bondo?

Bondo is pretty heavy, I was wondering if it would throw off the balance of the rifle? Antlurz did his "shoestring" rifle with bondo, I think. Maybe he'll pop in and give more info on how its done. I have an extra stock I wouldn't mind trying it on, I'll let you go first!:D

HTH

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
If you are trying to make this look like it is actually part of the stock you can use KittyHair Bondo. It is much lighter than the regular stuff. It is Bondo with fiberglass fibers mixed in. It is great for building up surfaces but tends to have small voids in it so you would have to use regular Bondo or similar product to smooth the surface after you have the shape you want. Otherwise I say go for it. Any custom job is fair game. Just look at Antlurz. I can say that 'cause he never gets tired of seeing his name in print. And his custom stock is extraordinary.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Auto parts or Auto paint & body supply stores. Besides roughing the wood for grip and depending how thick you want the bondo, couple wood screws in the build up area would help the bondo stay in place. Do this outside, the dust gets everywhere.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Sorry 'bout that. I was gonna put that in my origional post too. WallMart sells Kitty Hair Bondo in the automotive section. Probably on the same rack as the spray paint. That's where it is at all the ones here in Phx.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.