Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Used Neos

1044 Views 14 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Oldrice
I was at Cabelas to look at .22 semi-auto pistols, fully intending to purchase a SW 22A, but it did not fit my little hands. On a lark, I handled a Beretta Neos and it fit like a glove. The new Neos was listed as $269, but they had one in the gun library for $169. I might of bought the used Neos, but for two issues.

First, after loading a snap cap in the magazine and inserting the mag, it took four tries to get the slide to close. Has anyone else experienced this? The Cabelas sales man tried to tell me it was because we were using a snap cap, but I was not buying it.

Second, the trigger seemed to have a relatively long and heavy pull. Is the Neos a striker pistol, or does it have in internal hammer? How does the trigger feel after a few rounds on the range? Is there an easy trigger mod that would correct this problem?

Finally, have the Neos owners out there been pleased with their Neos? How does it stack up against the competition - Ruger Mk II/III, SW 22A, Walther SP22, Buckmark, etc.? I might just go back and snatch up that Neo for $169.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
I think perhaps the snap cap may be the cause of your issues. I bought A Neos for my son when he was 11. I picked it because the grip was smaller and the pistol was lighter than my Ruger Mark III. It really is a great shooter. It never jams and rarely has a FTF. It is super easy to take down to clean. The trigger is a little slower to reset than I perfer. My Ruger Mark III is a higher quality pistol but you get alot for your money with the Neos.

· Premium Member
39,147 Posts
I bought a like-new NEOS this winter for $200 and my son loves it. The trigger isn't really target grade but it's passable for an entry-level target gun. It'll be awhile before my son will be able to outshoot the NEOS.

For $169, I'd grab that pistol. :t

· Registered
191 Posts
I bought a like-new NEOS this winter for $200 and my son loves it. The trigger isn't really target grade but it's passable for an entry-level target gun. It'll be awhile before my son will be able to outshoot the NEOS.

Love my Neos, if I saw a used 4.5" one for $169 I'd buy it on the spot. Not that anything is wrong with a 6", but I have a 6" and a carbine kit and I want a 4.5" as well.

No idea how used this one is, but when mine was new I had a handful of times where it didn't go into full battery (slide didn't go all the way forward) and the trigger was a bit stiff. After 100 rounds I cleaned and oiled it and it was better, no more failures to go into battery and the trigger smoothed out some. Another brick later and absolutely no complaints. Now with 1,500 - 2,000 rounds through it I've had a grand total of zero fail to feeds, zero failure to fires, zero failure to eject. Several different types of bulk ammo..

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Opportunity lost... I called Cabelas to ask about their warranty policy on used guns and someone had already snatched up the Neos. On a different note, I was at Gander Mountain and handled a Walther SP22, Neos again, and Buckmark again. I really like the Buckmark, but cannot bear paying $329 for a .22 pistol. I know, if I have it for years to come it will be worth it, but I'll just keep my eye out for a used one. The SP22 was also in the mid $300s. A local range has pistols for rent so I plan to shoot the Neos and check the trigger pull, accuracy, functioning, etc.

Oddly, several of the 'new' pistols at Gander Mountain showed a good deal of wear, such as finishes worn off the slides and sights and marks in the chambers. I brought this up to the salesman and he swore that everything was new. Either several different manufacturers are shipping defective products, he was mistaken, or he was lying.

· Registered
505 Posts

DITTO.... My NIB NEOS 6" was considerably... Been looking for a 4 1/2 " version for a while now... Trigger is not HORRIBLE. but it would benefit from some work I just got mine back from factory service.. Of the 500 or so rounds I have fired in it, the trigger failed to reset a couple dozen time. The work order that was in the box upon return said they de-burred the trigger bar and sear. At the range this afternoon I put 5 mags thru it just to test functionality. Everything seems to be working better...

· Registered
637 Posts
For $169, yes get it.
When I bought a used pistol at Cabela, they told me that they have a 30 days warranty. If anything is wrong with it, they will fix it.

"gun library" is that the dark room w/all the high dollar used guns?
And the Neos was in there?

· Registered
1,342 Posts
Should have scored that one....

I have a 4.5 inch with the carbine kit, only issue is the mag seating in the carbine kit, does fine on the pistol frame, takes the Hulk to seat it sometimes in the carbine stock.

Soft shooting gun.

As far as $169, I do have a Jennings 22lr I got as an afterthought on a trade, nice reliable palm sized banger. Ugly as sin, metal potted and splotched, but has yet to FTF. It stays at the office to dispatch rats and ***** that get in sometimes.

I don't turn my nose up at a cheap functional tool.

· Registered
7,448 Posts
neos is one sweet pistol

i got my 6" at academy sports for 229. new, all black finish. i added an ncstar red dot sight and it is my favorite 22 pistol. ran perfect out of the box, gets better with more rounds down the tube, 100% reliable,trigger pull nice, improving with every trip to the range, VERY accurate. i added the DLX black/grey grips from baretta, they feel better with the tacky grey inserts and are on special from baretta for 33.00. i also own a S and W 22a and a gsg 1911, but for overall satisfaction the neos is numbe ONE. i am considring getting a 4.5" barrel for something different, they are around 90.00 at gander. easy to swap out too. i was considering another barrel for my 22A, i have the seldom seen 7", but the smith website is the only place i can find them and they are right at 200.00!! a new 22A is only 230.-250.:bthumb::bthumb:

· Registered
264 Posts
i also own a S and W 22a and a gsg 1911, but for overall satisfaction the neos is numbe ONE. i am considring getting a 4.5" barrel for something different
Have you considered the carbine kit for your Neos? Pretty awesome versatility/convertability and a really nice, accurate plinker - especially scoped.

I know that this is like "glass overkill," but man does this sucker shoot...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.