Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying an older 54 match rifle for bench shooting. From what I understand the 54 is heavy and has a better trigger that the 64 does. What I was wondering about was the cost of a rebarrel job if I decide it needs it. Some say that you can rechamber the stock barrel and restore accuracy if needed. I do not have the funds for a total custom rifle and just want to get a taste of benchrest shooting for now. I have a BRNO model 4 and I like it but the Anschutz should be able to do better. I hope! What do you guys think? Thanks!!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hello Dave M,
The BRNO 4 is an excellent rifle.Have you considered getting it re-barreled?JLS shoots one in the email matches we have each month.His does extremely well.I think he is using a Stith wood stock and shooting a Shilen barrel
Sometimes rechambering can improve accuracy and sometimes not.My 1710 has the heavy barrel and shoots very nicely.I'm gonna put it in a Don Stith stock and see what it does as is.I think it will be accurate enough without re-barreling.So if you buy one with a heavy barrel it may already be a shooter.If you buy an Anschutz and decide to put a new barrel on it let me know.I can put you in touch with a man who does excellent work at very reasonable prices.Good luck.
Mike C.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pinball! Yes, I have considered getting a new barrel for the #4. I need to find a gunsmith that has worked on these and see what it will cost me. Any ideas? How about a barrel? I'm thinking Lilja or maybe a Shilen. The bad part is that I could buy the Anschutz for the money I will put into the #4. Just not sure which way to go yet.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Dave,
A good barrel is gonna cost about 225.00.Then you pay a smith to cut to length,turn the shank,chamber,cut extractor grooves and crown.It's easy to tie up another 100.00+ in the barrel.Then you are still not guaranteed it will be a shooter.
If you buy an Anschutz you will give yourself 2 options for customizing in the future.Good luck whatever you decide.
Mike C.

·
Registered
115 Posts
In keeping with my, "I've never seen a shot out .22 barrel, I bought the ugliest 1407 you ever saw from Thad Scotts for under $500. After testing with many samples from Wolf, Eley, Lapua and RWS the best groups I could muster were between 8-12mm at 50 yds. So much for my theory. I called Neil Johnson's and got a price on rebarreling. Pinball nailed the price. Then the SK ammo arrived. The groups were in the 10-12mm range except for the low end, $2.30 box SK+. It shoots in the 5-8 mm [email protected] and 20-22 at 100. So, instead of a new barrel I bought a case of that lot numbered SK+. BTW, after I stripped the paint off the Anschutz stock, and spent a couple of days of sanding and staining it looks great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.