Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Update on My P22...

972 Views 26 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  1917-1911M
Well, took the gun to shooting range today...
Ran through 730 rounds of ammunition... here are the results..

5 failure to feeds, with the federal. These were early on and seemed to work themselves out rather quickly.... I have the offending bullets in front of me...bullets are kind of smudged if you will, from where they seem to have been ground into the feed ramp by the slide...

NO failure to feeds for 500 rounds straight, with winchester expert 36 grain hollowpoints...
About to take my gun apart and give it a nice cleaning....

Oh yeah.. keep up with my p22 here...
http://www.geocities.com/stormwolf17/rangep22.htm
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,284 Posts
my daughter came into town last weekend and ran TWO bulk boxes of Dynapoints thru the P22......I think that officially puts me over 20K...I have not been able to break down the suppressor for cleaning yet, but I promise there will be lots of pix when I do..

· Registered
2 Posts
Sure WISH I was in the 20K club. I've put about 1000 rounds through the P22 and it's been back to the factory 3 times. After ejecting the empty casing, the slide "catches" on its way back forward and doesn't fully advance. I'm not sure what they did the first time it was in, but the second time, they filed down the hammer, apparently believing that was what was catching. Since then, it only happens when the gun's had about 100 rounds through it (apparently when it's either hot or dirty). But it still does it. And eventually it does it two or three times per magazine. It's back for service now for a third time and, needless to say, I'm not much of a fan. I love the looks of this gun (mine has the nickel slide) and I love shooting that cheap 22LR high velocity ammo. But every range session I've ever had with this gun has ended when the gun decided it was time to stop, not when I did.

This is a gun I REALLY want to love. But it hasn't been very lovable so far :(

Scott
FiringLineDesign.com
Firearms-Friendly Website & Print Design Nationwide
http://FiringLineDesign.com

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lyricsdad said:
how do those shoot w/ the p22? I always wanted to get those try them out.
They shoot alright... A couple of em even cycled the slide...
The spray pattern at 21 feet is very wide... They were fun to shoot.. but it's kind of annoying to have to cycle manually after every shot....

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shooter56 said:
Sure WISH I was in the 20K club. I've put about 1000 rounds through the P22 and it's been back to the factory 3 times. After ejecting the empty casing, the slide "catches" on its way back forward and doesn't fully advance. I'm not sure what they did the first time it was in, but the second time, they filed down the hammer, apparently believing that was what was catching. Since then, it only happens when the gun's had about 100 rounds through it (apparently when it's either hot or dirty). But it still does it. And eventually it does it two or three times per magazine. It's back for service now for a third time and, needless to say, I'm not much of a fan. I love the looks of this gun (mine has the nickel slide) and I love shooting that cheap 22LR high velocity ammo. But every range session I've ever had with this gun has ended when the gun decided it was time to stop, not when I did.

This is a gun I REALLY want to love. But it hasn't been very lovable so far :(

Scott
FiringLineDesign.com
Firearms-Friendly Website & Print Design Nationwide
http://FiringLineDesign.com
That's interesting... if it keeps up... have them replace the gun totally....
Might be a unfixeable defect in that gun... which obviously hasn't shown up in others...

· Registered
281 Posts
Hmmm I may have to go to scheels and pick a box or two up.. lol try and shoot some clay pigeons lol.

I also want to kick em in the butt there and find out when they are going to get them "certified" sigs... I want a p226 bad.. not the DAK but the DA/SA one.... dern it.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lyricsdad said:
Hmmm I may have to go to scheels and pick a box or two up.. lol try and shoot some clay pigeons lol.

I also want to kick em in the butt there and find out when they are going to get them "certified" sigs... I want a p226 bad.. not the DAK but the DA/SA one.... dern it.
I don't like them that much, because they're expensive ..
Well... I do... I already resolved myself to the fact that if someone breaks into my house with a knife....I'm spraying them in the face with a few shotshells...
Won't kill em.... but it'll definitely make them stop and pause.. lol.

On a side note.... I get to go and buy another p22 soon... buying the 3.4 inch ver. for my dad, as a fathers day gift...

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aye..
The shooting range is about the only thing we can do together..so I figure getting him a gun would be good...
And a cheap gun, with cheap ammo? Can't pass it up.. maybe I'll take the time to also get a hogue jr. grip for my kel-tec p-11 and a shoulder rig for it...

My employer has a no gun policy... so I need better concealment....don't want to be fired :)

· Registered
5 Posts
illogicalmethod said:
Well... I do... I already resolved myself to the fact that if someone breaks into my house with a knife....I'm spraying them in the face with a few shotshells...

On a side note.... I get to go and buy another p22 soon... buying the 3.4 inch ver. for my dad, as a fathers day gift...
Illogicalmethod, I'm new to this forum, but not new to guns. It is my opinion that the use of .22 shotshells for self defense is inappropriate and dangerous. Worst case is that an intended robbery could turn into a murder case (yours). If you propose to shoot someone, the generally accepted idea is deadly force. Bad guys know that, and if you shoot them nonfatally, they may kill you just in case you have a stronger round down in the mag.

An aluminum bat might be a better choice against an intruder. Personally, I prefer 13 rounds of .45 ACP, but that's just me. Please do some research on home defense. Those shotshells, which probably will not even cycle the slide, are not a good idea.

I congratulate your dad on raising a son who would give him such a neat fathers day gift. CB

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
critical...
I know about home defense... my words are partially in jest..
If someone was to break in with a knife... I'd really be greeting them with my 9mm...
and my machette....
But it'd still be fun to pop them in the face with a shotshell...

· Registered
5 Posts
illogicalmethod said:

illogicalmethod, you are correct that .22 shotshells won't kill an intruder. However, it would be difficult to come up with a more inappropriate load for self defense. When a gun goes "bang" people usually infer that deadly force is being directed against them. When they find themselves not yet dead, they often exert deadly force in return.

The internet contains a wealth of information on self defense. I strongly urge you to examine some of it. A baseball bat would be eminently preferable to .22 shotshells. Personally I prefer 13 .45 ACPs, but that's just me.

I congratulate your dad on having a son who would give him such a nice fathers day gift. CB

· Premium Member
8,010 Posts
Illogicalmethod, I like your chart of rounds and results, now add some more, thousands more. Keep it accurate, we can learn something by this. You can keep shooting your favorites, just keep posting in the total column for that round along with problems/solutions you develop. Safe shooting. 1911M

· Registered
225 Posts
Consider the great Jeff Cooper. One of his basic rules was,"Don't point a gun at anything you do not mean to kill or destroy!"

This idea of bird shot to the face can an will get you killed! Some druggie on dope will not even feel the pain! He will take your weapon and use it against you!

I use the double tap method, taught by Cooper! Two quick rounds to the chest should take the fight out of anyone! But I am ready to follow up should the circumstances require!

I don't think it would be "fun"! Taking a life is serious! When the perp is lying on the floor with two sucking chest wounds! He should listen closely! That is natures way of telling him to look for another line of work!

I also use .45, Glock 36 and Smith & Wesson 1911 Sc! My wife uses a Model 36 Glock!

I have a Remington 870, 18 inch barrel, as a house gun, with five rounds of #4 buckshot!

If it gets really bad, I can break out the AR-15 with five, 30 round mags!

And when I am testifying in court, I will not say I shot to kill! I will say I fired to eliminate the threat! And you will most likely be in court! Someone is going to sue you and they may even win! Depends on the jury! Some family member will say you violated Leroy's civil rights! He tripped and fell though your front door, and you killed him! He was only 15 years old! And that sharp knife in his hand was put there by you and/or the Police! Little Leroy was just a poor misunderstood child! He never commited all those other robberys the police said he did! He was just playing trick or treat and thats why he had the stocking over his face! More than likely your homeowners insurance company will settle the case out of court. Maybe for less than the limits of your liability insurance! Anything over the limit must be paid by you!

Serious business, using a gun to defend yourself! You must have the mindset to use a gun! If you think you may not be able to pull the trigger! Get a good baseball bat!

Just some food for thought!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.