Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Unertl blocks

558 4
I have a 1971 Anschutz 54 Match 1411 on order that should be arriving soon. The seller says it has Unertl blocks mounted on the action. What type of scope mounts/rings should work with this. Scope initially at least will be BSA Platinum 8X32X44. Is there more than one style of Unertl blocks? Any ideas on what will work?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pdwight, need more info

Pdwight,

Sounds like you have a similar rifle that is giving you trouble. If the Unertl blocks don't do me much good, do you know if there are normally grooves on the receiver, like 11mm? Or would you put other mounts on the receiver and rings to match. Any recommendations from your experience. I will also follow your advice and call Champion's Choice.

Thanks for the help! :t

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Problem" solved, I think

Anschutz 54 Match arrived this afternoon and it does have 11mm grooves the length of the action. I just happened to have a set of "Anschutz" tip-off rings (from Champion Shooter Supply) that had been temporarily used on a CZ 452 and did not really fit that well. They are now on the 54 with the aforementioned scope and have enough height for good clearance. Without shooting it (which I plan to do tomorrow after work), all seems well.

I'll bore sight it and hopefully run some ammo through. I hope I don't have the "level" problem you have Pdwight. Will report how it works tomorrow eve if I can.

By the way, everything appears as advertised on the rifle. Action is smooth, bore looks OK, blueing is fine, trigger good, prone stock needs sanding and refinishing due to wear.

Barry

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anschutz tip-off rings work fine

It turns out that the Unertl blocks do not do me any good, except that the one at the end of the barrel will serve as a mount for front aperture sight. The rear one mounts on the receiver grooves. At least I have the option of using the peep sights if I get tired of scope work.

The "Anschutz" tip-off rings work fine with BSA Platinum 8X32X44 scope. No problem. I shot about 90 rounds through it after work today as dusk overtook the range. Five shot groups at 50m averaged below 0.50", with a best of 0.19". Used 50 rounds Eley Target Rifle (Yellow box), 20 rounds Eley EPS, 20 rounds Federal Ultra Match. Groups seemed OK considering limited time, diminishing light, and untested setup. More testing to follow. Scope is not impressive, but then what do you expect for $104. Seems adequate though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.