Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
how do you build one of these? I've got some spare parts laying around, do you just hard mount everything on a heavy base so it don't move?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Some of those pics look WILD:eek::eek:
Paul
Strat, I missed that one.
One for each eye:confused: :p
Paul

·
Registered
78 Posts
Rail Guns, I've seen some that look so big, you may need rails to run them on, railroad track type rails that is. But, they are Neat and a work of art. VERY,VERY accurate.:D :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
***?!?!?

I don't get it!! So you make one of these to see who can guess the wind and get the clicks in the scope right first? Once you set one of these up there's no skill involved. Just skill in who can set up the fastest and get the dope right first. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Re: Stratcat

marble8 said:
Two scopes, one sighted in for 50yds, one for 100 yds. you dummy.:D :D :D

(Actually, I have no idea. I would guess a spotter too ,If I was going to guess.)
ok, who can help us out? 2 scopes for:

a) 50 and 100 yds?
b) second one for spotting?

both sound logical to me, now I've got to know :D

edit: actually "a" sounds more reasonable to me, you'd think that the person shooting this would have a spotting scope that is seperate if needed.

·
Premium Member
13,073 Posts
My comment about rail guns has always been the same:
"What's the point?"

Now, don't get all huffy on me, guys. I'm sure you enjoy your sport, and I sure hope you do. I just don't understand it and I guess I never will.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Looks like a moded pic to me :D

But if not, why would you pay $800 for a leupold or better scope when you could buy a spotting scope for less money with higher magnification and larger field of view?

I'm with some of y'all here, what's the point? Like artillery, GO JOIN THE ARMY! ;)

Railguns seem like toys for shooters who have

a) Too much money

b) Can't walk

c) Too weak to hold the gun up.

Just my analysis :D

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
What you are saying then, is that you have never run a lathe, or a mill, and have no machine shop abilities.?

:D :D :D

IT would seem that someone who is heavily into the modification of 10/22's could well understand the desire to build something like this from the ground up, and see how accurate you can build it .

To a machinist/shooter, that picture above is a work of art.

Ron

·
Registered
416 Posts
I agree with Antlurz. These are machinist/gunsmith types who enjoy the building of the precison apparatus as much or more than the shooting.
Reason for existence #2. This has to be the best way to test ammunition.

·
Registered
73 Posts
THese are like battlebots for the gun nut. Because we can.

Btw, the second scope is for spotting. Not in the sense of a spotting scope but getting the gun lined up with the target. Then you make your adjustments to the one over the bore. Kinda like that one on your telescope.

JAG

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Well, my first reaction is they have built some really neat devices. But it aint shootin'. Then again some people feel that way about benchrest of regular rifles. Useful for sighting in and testing ammo, but it isn't shootin'. Not like 3 position, or silhouette or something.

I would like to know though what groups rimfire rail guns shoot.
Does anyone know? Some of the targets I have seen pictured of centerfire rail guns look almost all like one hole groups. Would
be interesting to know just what rimfire ammo is capable of since it usually is considered more variable than hand loaded centerfire. If rimfire rail guns shoot one hole groups, it would make you think the ammo is good enough not to be a problem.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.