Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Definitely mag fussy. I have only 3 mags out of 8 that will run a full mag without some sort of bullet deformation. Most flyers are when the bore is cold providing I'm using one of my 3 good magazines.

On the mags that are not perfect, I have found that the flier corresponds to a bullet that is damaged upon feeding. Each mag seems to have its own pattern. For example , Magazine A may deform the first and sixth bullet... It will ALWAYS deform these . Mag B my deform the 3rd 5th,and 10th. Again it seems to ALWAYS deform the same round in the mag. Point is, each mag is different, but consistently different.

I am the only person on the forum that will say this, but my ultralight actually shot better than this before I had the front pillar bedded and the rear tang added to the action. When I used foil tape on the receiver for "bedding" the rifle shot it's best. I had it done by a very reputable guy and I am certain he did it correctly. This rifle just liked being achored to wood.

I shot this with a Leupold Vx2 6x18x44 fine duplex reticle scope. I had my Kidd single stage down to 14 oz. The rifle was an all Kidd build.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Definitely mag fussy. I have only 3 mags out of 8 that will run a full mag without some sort of bullet deformation. Most flyers are when the bore is cold providing I'm using one of my 3 good magazines.

On the mags that are not perfect, I have found that the flier corresponds to a bullet that is damaged upon feeding. Each mag seems to have its own pattern. For example , Magazine A may deform the first and sixth bullet... It will ALWAYS deform these . Mag B my deform the 3rd 5th,and 10th. Again it seems to ALWAYS deform the same round in the mag. Point is, each mag is different, but consistently different.

I am the only person on the forum that will say this, but my ultralight actually shot better than this before I had the front pillar bedded and the rear tang added to the action. When I used foil tape on the receiver for "bedding" the rifle shot it's best. I had it done by a very reputable guy and I am certain he did it correctly. This rifle just liked being achored to wood.

I shot this with a Leupold Vx2 6x18x44 fine duplex reticle scope. I had my Kidd single stage down to 14 oz. The rifle was an all Kidd build.
Since canada is a dictatorship, we have restrictions on using >10 round mags legally. A company called Spectre Ballistics has made a billet aluminum adapter for 10/22s that accepts remington 597 mags or all capacity (legally in canada). I wonder how the straight stack remington mags would be for accuracy? They may have a more compatible feed ramp, etc for avoiding bullet damage.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Since canada is a dictatorship, we have restrictions on using >10 round mags legally. A company called Spectre Ballistics has made a billet aluminum adapter for 10/22s that accepts remington 597 mags or all capacity (legally in canada). I wonder how the straight stack remington mags would be for accuracy? They may have a more compatible feed ramp, etc for avoiding bullet damage.
I can tell you this much . Spring tension seems to be the variable that is mpscts bullet deformation the most in my experiments . The lighter the spring tension on a Ruger mag, the less chance of bullet deformation . The downside is too little spring tension causes unreliable feeding and stuff xtraction . More spring tension solves the reliability problems, but you get a higher percent of nicked bullets.

It seems like on some mags there is no in between adjustment that works.

My bet is the single stack feed would help without the rotary moment on the bullet, providing it was positioned right . I'm gonna Google that place . I'm tired of fussing with Ruger mags . It is painfully slow going . Sorry for the derail Too Many 22s

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
A 597 adapter to fit in a 1022 seems like an odd solution, as the 597s weakest feature was probably its magazine... do the inline ruger and clone 10 round magazines not make it to Justin Castros Canada?

On the ultralight barrels, I've got the beyer, wpgb acculite, several magnum research, several volquartsen, and a tacsol somewhere floating around the safe at my folks. My favorite is the magnum research, but it's worth pointing out a 13.7 oz barrel isn't easy to shoot. Mine are used afield and all are serviceable accuracy wise, but the lack of weight is noticeable. I'd probably shoot for a kidd light weight in the 20 oz range as a compromise between the Uber lw barrels and the heavies if raw accuracy was my goal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A 597 adapter to fit in a 1022 seems like an odd solution, as the 597s weakest feature was probably its magazine... do the inline ruger and clone 10 round magazines not make it to Justin Castros Canada?

On the ultralight barrels, I've got the beyer, wpgb acculite, several magnum research, several volquartsen, and a tacsol somewhere floating around the safe at my folks. My favorite is the magnum research, but it's worth pointing out a 13.7 oz barrel isn't easy to shoot. Mine are used afield and all are serviceable accuracy wise, but the lack of weight is noticeable. I'd probably shoot for a kidd light weight in the 20 oz range as a compromise between the Uber lw barrels and the heavies if raw accuracy was my goal.
I could open a whole can of CANADA worms, but since the charger pistol became a thing only 10 round mags are legal in canada. If a high capacity mag will fit in a pistol with is limited to 10 rounds max, those mags become prohibited items. And not by a LAW, by recommendation of the liberal govt.

Thanks for the barrel advice.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts

High capacity 10/22 mags are illegal in Canada, but high capacity 597 mags are not.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Ah... forgot about the Canada special. For some reason I thought the 10 round restriction now applied to everything. Haven't done my bi annual Canada trips since it became snow-covered ccp. Yall have had it rough with arbitrary rapid changes in legislation. Used to travel to hunt, pretty soon we stopped bringing guns, now we just go to the dakotas..

·
Registered
19 Posts

I was intrigued by the magnum research 13oz barrel, they sure don't make it easy, almost like they don't want to sell you one. Magnum research barrels are now sold by KHAR? redirect from their website. They show an 18" threaded and a 16.5 non threaded. No mention of chamber, weight, lapped, nothing. I can't even find if they make a 16.5 threaded.

·
Premium Member
10,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I was intrigued by the magnum research 13oz barrel, they sure don't make it easy, almost like they don't want to sell you one. Magnum research barrels are now sold by KHAR? redirect from their website. They show an 18" threaded and a 16.5 non threaded. No mention of chamber, weight, lapped, nothing. I can't even find if they make a 16.5 threaded.
Kahr owns Magnum Research. And if you email them they will respond. But , they are a weird company, and don't quite know how to relate to customers.
Or market their products.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Kahr owns Magnum Research. And if you email them they will respond. But , they are a weird company, and don't quite know how to relate to customers.
Or market their products.
Your much more kind than I.

In my interactions with magnum research I've come to realize they make product, cease making product, make product changes and never differentiate said changes. And the poor 20 something year old guy on the help line doesn't know what or when or how it's made either. But you will get such gems as "cool I didn't know we made one of those", followed by "maybe we did but I don't know who we shipped them to, or if they will ever make more".

·
Registered
61 Posts
Don't bother with the SBI adapter for the 597 mags. I tried that route a few years ago, and quickly ditched it. Those mags are not reliable at all.

I see you went with the SBI receiver, so I would hunt down the HC3R 25 round mags if you want to use a higher capacity. That SBI receiver will use them, and you will still be legal in canada. aka the "tuff" mag, has the extra protrusion out of it so they will not work in a regular Ruger receiver, charger.

I also found the dlask carbon barrels to be accurate, and less weight than most.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ultralite barrel

Not sure about the OP but I pulled the trigger on a Volquartsen Ultralite Carbon THM with black ends (15 ounces) I hope to have it together in the next 2 weeks with the SBI receiver, VQ competition bolt and my reworked (by me) BX trigger and my x22 stock.. I got a pretty good deal on a leupold Mark 3hd 8-24, just need to settle on some 30mm rings.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Not sure about the OP but I pulled the trigger on a Volquartsen Ultralite Carbon THM with black ends (15 ounces) I hope to have it together in the next 2 weeks with the SBI receiver, VQ competition bolt and my reworked (by me) BX trigger and my x22 stock.. I got a pretty good deal on a leupold Mark 3hd 8-24, just need to settle on some 30mm rings.
I sincerely hope it's an excellent barrel, but suggest you look it over thoroughly when you have it in hand just in case: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1234613

·
Premium Member
6,927 Posts
I would go with the Kidd ULW for any type of lightweight build. You can get WhistlePig and maybe TacSol barrels for less $ but they don't have the accuracy of the Kidd. You could spend more on a VQ barrel and take a chance that it's going to be a great shooter but they get very mixed reviews. Then there's some other one's out there in the $500+ range that are supposed to be good but don't have a ton of info available. The Kidd seems to be the best for consistent accuracy and value. All my Kidd barrels are heavy target barrels but there's no shortage of glowing reviews for their ULW barrels. Also even though they don't offer the 1/2" guarantee on the ULW's they do have excellent CS and aren't going to leave you hanging if you end up with a tomato stake (which is highly unlikely).

·
Registered
19 Posts
VQ barrel quality

Received my barrel, everything looks pretty good. The pic to the right is the chamber, it is concentric and pretty well finished considering it looks huge on the screen, when it's really about .020"-.030" step per side. The other pics are the recessed crown, the finish looks sharp and smooth. The camera is not that great, and too large to split into the chamber, but the 3rd pic is the surface of the crown.

file and image uploader[/IMG][/QUOTE]

21 - 40 of 53 Posts