Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

types of buffers

859 Views 25 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  holepuncher
I was wondering if all buffers are the same. Is there any discernable difference between the Volquartson or Waponkraft buffer?

Thanks,

ZAch
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
5,438 Posts
I have said it many times and I'll keep saying it. WeaponKraft WeaponKraft WeaponKraft :t

· Registered
956 Posts
buy the weaponkraft, it works great, looks good, and is guaranteed for life, and Reed is a great guy to deal with. :t and while your doing that might as well get the allen headed stock screw :D

· Registered
680 Posts
Actually Volquartsen changed the design of their buffer it is almost clear now with no more rod in the middle and is more flexible. I kind of like the Wilson shock buff myself feels nearly the same as the new Volquartsen design except it is gray and Wilson took the extra step of chamfering the ends so they go in easier. I do keep eying the stock buffer set up on my Remington 597 wondering how a slightly shortened version might work on a 10/22.

I've also been playing with a spring loaded buffer design on a nearly stock 10/22 somewhat along the lines of the AR-15 buffer. The disadvantage is you have to drill a hole in the back of the receiver and the stock. And some stocks may not be strong enough to take the pounding in this area. Still experimenting with different spring pressures at this time. The advantage of this system may be it accelerates the bolt return velocity helping reduce FTF on dirty and maybe tighter Bentz type chambers.

· Registered
431 Posts
I won't comment on which is "better",

Since the only one I've used is the WeaponKraft.

Huge improvement over the stock buffer!

BTW,what difference does it make what color it is? :confused:

Ya can't see it anyway.

BW

· Registered
2,523 Posts
The colors!

BobbyWins said:
BTW,what difference does it make what color it is?
The color doesn't make any difference, I was just joking about that. I am pretty sure that most of these come from some sort of stock coil...different chemical composition, different manufacturer, different pigment added, etc.

I had the old style VQ with the metal rod. It worked. I got the 3 pack from WK, very good deal.

Maybe, just maybe...the only difference is the color?

· Registered
836 Posts
Qstick said:
I was wondering if all buffers are the same. Is there any discernable difference between the Volquartson or Waponkraft buffer?

Thanks,

ZAch
Qstick,

VQ buffers are oversize and are bears to install!!! Once it's in don't expect to remove it til you have too. I don't know anything about WeaponKraft buffers but I suspect they're all pretty good.

wmrimfire,22

· Registered
759 Posts
As long as it is made of the same stuff, its the same. A guy in my town sells them for $2.50 and he will replace any busted ones (never happened). He sells them on ebay too. I got my "yellowjacket" buffer for free from some guy who sells them on ebay.

· Registered
906 Posts
holepuncher said:
I think if anyone wants to put buffers to a test try them in a 10/22 WMR -.17 conversion.
Dont they wear out quickly from taking a pounding?
Go over to the 10/22 Magnum Forum and ask which buffer the guys use in their Mags and .17 HMR conversions. :D
My Lifetime Warranty still stands on those, as well. ;)

- Dakotan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.